A word in Latin

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the word "Animovore" used in a few books before but I can't seem to find it in an official Latin dictionary (or the internet of course). It's supposed to mean "soul eater" in the same way that "carnivore" means "meat eater."
Is this accurate or not?
If it is it's the title of a future novel of mine. If it's not . . . I'll use it anyway.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds very made up to me. I suspect it's not a word, Latin or otherwise.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the word "Animovore" used in a few books before but I can't seem to find it in an official Latin dictionary (or the internet of course). It's supposed to mean "soul eater" in the same way that "carnivore" means "meat eater."
Is this accurate or not?
If it is it's the title of a future novel of mine. If it's not . . . I'll use it anyway.

Anima means soul in Latin. As for the second part of the word, it also derives from Latin: -vorus, from vorāre, to swallow, devour (thesaurus).
So, I guess you could definitely use it with the meaning of "soul eater".

PGK

They put those words in my head!
Registered
Reaction score
Anima means soul in Latin. As for the second part of the word, it also derives from Latin: -vorus, from vorāre, to swallow, devour (thesaurus).
So, I guess you could definitely use it with the meaning of "soul eater".

Considering the above, would there then be a more precise way to combine them than "Animovore?" Or is it a change in tense?
"Animavorus"
"Animovorus"
"Animavorare"
"Animovorare"
"Animavore"

I realize that as portmanteau it leaves some room for artistic interpretation, but do one of those (or a different variant) ring closer to the meaning I'm looking for?

I'm assuming that it follows a similar principle as "carnivore" and "carnivorous."

Thank you.

OneWriter

Ubi dubium ibi libertas
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I was wondering exactly about that. Looking at herb-ivore, which comes from herba, herbae and has the same declination as anima, animae, then you would use anim-ivore, does that make sense? There's a caveat though: there's a second word in Latin, which is animus, animi, and this means mind, and it's a little deeper (I think) than anima. It really means what's inside a person, his/her thinking. And if you use that, then you would get animo-vore. Animovorous sounds a little too long, but that's just me. HTH.