• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Only 115 word per page! WTF(luff)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'm using Courier New, 12 pt. with 1 inch boarders all around. Paragraphs are double spaced; I've even set my header and footers as small as possible.
Yet, I'm going getting 115.4 words per page.

It's a 31k MG manuscript, so I have short paragraphs, but I'm not using a lot of large words.

I thought I should get about 250, maybe 220 because I've got lots of paragraphs and dialog.

I've gotta print out 6 copies of the first 5 chapters of my manuscript for a workshop--I'm looking at over a ream of paper.

Something doesn't seem right to me, or is this normal?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
That does seem odd. I use the same formatting and normally have 220-250 words per page.

I'd check your paragraph formatting. Do you have any space set before and/or after each paragraph? Also, is it all left-justified, ragged right edge?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
You said you've got lots of dialog. That will expand how much paper is used, especially if you've got a lot of short exchanges.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
The average is generally around 250 per page, but if you have lots of short one line dialogue, this is going to cut down your overall word count per page.

Me, I always do Page set up, 1 inch margins all the way around, then go to headers and zero out the footer. From there I then go to Format Paragraphs, 0 all the requirements, first line special, double paragraph. Courier is or was the preferred font and 12 is the right size, so if you don't find any problems, more than likely its the amount of dialogue that is cutting your word count per page down.

If you change to Romans, you will find your word count per page increases because the letters are closer together than they are in courier, so you get more letters per line. I had an epublisher prefer Romans over Courier for submission, and I can tell you that on a 108,000 word manuscript, the page count was less by a large margin.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with 115 words per page, if writing you do on that page warrants it.

I am confused about "Paragraphs are double spaced". Lines should be double-spaced, not paragraphs. If you're adding an extra space between paragraphs, you're wasting a LOT of space.

JayG

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
There's nothing wrong with 115 words per page, if writing you do on that page warrants it.

I am confused about "Paragraphs are double spaced". Lines should be double-spaced, not paragraphs. If you're adding an extra space between paragraphs, you're wasting a LOT of space.

Sounds like that's the problem, especially with the dialog requiring short paragraphs. If you've set it for double spacing, and a white space between pragraphs, that's the problem. Count the total number of lines. It should be close to 25.

And: needing the entire manuscript for a workshop seems excessive, unless it's a week or more of focused work, or the feedback comes later, as the result of "homework." Unless you're working at a professional level, a few chapters and a synopsis would seem more than adequate to pinpoint any writing problems.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
I'd check your paragraph formatting. Do you have any space set before and/or after each paragraph? Also, is it all left-justified, ragged right edge?
No, just .5 for TAB on the first sentence. I'm left-justified.

You said you've got lots of dialog. That will expand how much paper is used, especially if you've got a lot of short exchanges
I guess so, it still seems low to me, but really I could be way off base.

Sounds like that's the problem, especially with the dialog requiring short paragraphs. If you've set it for double spacing, and a white space between pragraphs, that's the problem
My mistake. I should have said double spaced lines. It's under the Format, Paragraph window, that's now I messed up. I have the all the paragraph options turned off except, indent first line .5"

Count the total number of lines. It should be close to 25.

I'm getting 14-16 lines, not counting the white space (double spacing). I must be doing something wrong.
Thanks for all the help. I still don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I can't figure it out, I guess I can always ask an editor at the workshop =-)

Last edited:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Have you turned off "widow and orphan" control? Might be messing things up, too.

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Have you turned off "widow and orphan" control? Might be messing things up, too.

You solved it!!! It was not only "widow and orphan" control, but also, "Keep Lines together"--that one made a huge difference. I don't know how they got turned on. I've never clicked on that tab before (though my 2 year-old daughter possibly could have found it).

I'm at 207 words per page now.

Thanks everyone for helping me save a tree, or at least some branches.

Last edited:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to help. Good luck at your workshop!

MJWare

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
And: needing the entire manuscript for a workshop seems excessive, unless it's a week or more of focused work, or the feedback comes later, as the result of "homework." Unless you're working at a professional level, a few chapters and a synopsis would seem more than adequate to pinpoint any writing problems.
Not important, but it's not the hole manuscript. Just the first 4 or 5 chapters; I need a copy for every member of the group, plus the facilitator.

Thanks again.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Me, I always do Page set up, 1 inch margins all the way around, then go to headers and zero out the footer. From there I then go to Format Paragraphs, 0 all the requirements, first line special, double paragraph. Courier is or was the preferred font and 12 is the right size, so if you don't find any problems, more than likely its the amount of dialogue that is cutting your word count per page down.

This sounds like a lot of work when Word does it for you as standard.

As for formating the paragraphs, you can do it at anystage by selecting all teh text and holding Ctrl 2

Why make life difficult for yourself.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
can i be really simple and ask what 'widow and orphan' is?

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
can i be really simple and ask what 'widow and orphan' is?
That refers to a single line of print -- the first or last line of a paragraph -- that is separated from the rest of the paragraph by a page break, leaving a single line at either the top or bottom of a page. (I think the last line at the top of a page is a "widow" and the first line at the bottom of a page is the "orphan". Not sure. Doesn't matter.)

MS Word has a feature in the paragraph settings (and I think it's turned ON by default) that prevents this from happening. So if there's just the first line of a paragraph at the bottom of a page, it'll move it to the next page so the whole paragraph is together. If the last line of a paragraph breaks to the next page, I guess Word moves the whole paragraph to keep it together. That could really make a difference in the average number of words per page.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
ah. i'd knew word did that, I didn't realise it had a name.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Widows and Orphans" are single lines from a paragraph left alone at the end or the beginning of a page, separated from the rest of the paragraph. For some purposes, this is a bad idea (script-in-hand play readings, for instance), but for fiction it doesn't matter.

Maryn, font of information (nearing the sludgy part, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.