International Dilemma

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have wrestled with a dilemma for a while now. I have gotten requests to see my manuscript but I feel the agents might be discouraged with the fact that I don't live in the U.S. and this has created several questions.

Do I tell them head on that I'm from Costa Rica or wait until they request a mansucript? (which happened with my first ever request)
Don't tell them at all? (and ask to meet three months in advance, save up for plane tickets and pretend to live in the U.S. ..... just kidding by the way)
Is it very complicated to represent someone from another country?
Should I move to the U.S.? (again, kidding................sort of)

thanks guys and gals!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have wrestled with a dilemma for a while now. I have gotten requests to see my manuscript but I feel the agents might be discouraged with the fact that I don't live in the U.S. and this has created several questions.

Do I tell them head on that I'm from Costa Rica or wait until they request a mansucript? (which happened with my first ever request)
Don't tell them at all? (and ask to meet three months in advance, save up for plane tickets and pretend to live in the U.S. ..... just kidding by the way)
Is it very complicated to represent someone from another country?
Should I move to the U.S.? (again, kidding................sort of)

thanks guys and gals!

In my opinion, agents will not care at all that you live outside the U.S. Many agents have international clients. Don't worry about it at all. And you should absolutely include your accurate contact information in your query and on your manuscript. But it's not likely to be an issue for most agents, in my opinion.

~suki

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've queried some US agents ( didn't get anywhere but that wasn't because I wasn't in the US) I doubt there are many who'd care you weren't in the US tbh, and as most US agents take e-mail queries etc, it's no more complicated for them - okay, well maybe when working out if you have to pay tax in the states :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It really isn't much of an issue in these days of e-mail and telephony over the internet
I queried loads of US agents, came close to doing business with a couple, and I know several UK writers with US agents.
It is all about the writing. If your work is suitable for the US market, and is good enough, then agents will be interested.

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
thanks, I had given the topic a lot of thought and all of your answers have cleared the way

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
There are a couple of US agents who don't take overseas clients. However, they state this on their website.
I recently mailed an agency I inted to query later down the line and asked them directly if it would be a problem. They said no, but pointed out that only one of their agents accepts email queries.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I live in the UK and have a US agent. No problem. No issues.

And as far as paying US taxes, that's the writer's concern, not the agent's. If you get a US deal and live outside the US, I recommend that you consult with a tax professional in your country who has experience working with people living in your country and paying taxes on US income. Even if you don't hire them to do your taxes regularly (which probably wouldn't be necessary unless you really start making quite a lot of money from US income), an hour or so consultation will help ensure you don't get yourself into trouble with the US tax authorities. That's money and time well spent.

I believe* that you have to make a certain amount of US income before you have to actually pay taxes, but you'll still need to file a form with the IRS, even if your US income is below that threshold.

I once met a musician who didn't realise she needed to pay US tax on US income earned from touring there and ended up having to sell her house to pay the resulting bill. Don't be tempted to ignore the issue!

* I'm not an accountant or a lawyer, so take what I say with a huge dose of salt and research for yourself! :)

incognitopress

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elisaromero.com
I'm in Canada and have a full out with a NY agency who didn't bat an eye about my place of residence (which I included in my query, btw). I also know at least 2 other writers here in Toronto who are represented by Americans. Not an issue. Especially for genre, kids' books, etc. Don't even think twice about it:)

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
I believe* that you have to make a certain amount of US income before you have to actually pay taxes, but you'll still need to file a form with the IRS, even if your US income is below that threshold.

This is quite true. And in fact, the government usually gives you a certain amount back (whatever they've taken out already, generally) if you make less than that certain amount. But even if they're giving you money, the IRS gets quite persnickety if you don't file the proper forms and collect your money. I know that it is really very easy to do this online if you are a US citizen living overseas. I presume non-citizens paying taxes from overseas also have a similarly easy time. Dunno for sure though.