Ideas, but new to non-fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
I've got two non-fiction ideas that I haven't seen much done in the market yet there is enough demand to generate some interest.

Basically what do I need to do?
Write the book first on my own $ and propose a finished product?
Or
Propose the 2 seperate ideas first and try to see if there is enough publisher interest in order to write?

-Is there any way to get research money and possibly photographer money if they're interested before finishing the projects or does that sort of thing only happen to the Clintons?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
A.Rex. Write out two complete chapter by chapter outlines of either book or both. Write the first three chapters of each or both. (No need to write the whole book--non-fic can be bought on a great idea and spec). Then bomb the market with queries first to recieve requests for either book. Send multiples of one book query package to a certain amount of editors/agents, and send the other book packages to DIFFERENT sources. Then repeat the submission process in reverse after you've exhausted replies, and received negatives.

That is only one way to do it, but it worked well for me.

Triceratops
P.S. Really play up your platform (experience in writing about the topic), and use a good solid paragraph explaining why your idea is fresh and who it will appeal to. Cite some examples of similar books and how well they did.

RainBrain

Registered
Reaction score
the way i see it is that since there are countless writers out there with talents, its really risky to send off queries exposing the "great idea" you came up with.

you never know, it may end up in the wrongs hands who will manipulate and refine it so well as his own that even you, the original owner wont recognize it.

finish at least one book then query the hell out of the market. that way, publishers, editors or whomever it is doesn't have to wait for you to write the book. you can just send it to them.

A.REX

Registered
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the publisher will sometimes front money for research, etc. I would almost need something like this as the book would require a lot of travel and well documented photos. I could take the photos but a definite camera upgrade would be necessary.

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
A.REX said:
I heard a rumor that the publisher will sometimes front money for research, etc. I would almost need something like this as the book would require a lot of travel and well documented photos. I could take the photos but a definite camera upgrade would be necessary.

While this does happen - e.g. I have known authors to get up-front advances for the purpose of buying an upgraded version of software (when writing a book about said software) - I think it is unlikely to happen if you have no writing background. However, if your proposal is bought, you may well get an advance before writing the book (different publishers will pay the advance at different times - some on acceptance, some on signing contract, some on delivery of completed manuscript, etc. etc.) in which case you could use that to buy your new camera and to bankroll the travel.

The thing to do at this point is work hard on your proposal and some sample chapters. Query, query, query... then deal with the financial side of it once you have got a bite.

Zoe King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoeking.com
I think it's also worth mentioning that if you could write up a couple of features on these ideas and find a mag publisher for them, you would be in a far stronger position when it came to contacting publishers/agents with the book ideas.

Zoe

Status
Not open for further replies.