Advice, please. :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Alrighty, so my school principal of four years is retiring this year. I can't go to his going away party because it costs a hundred dollars, and I've already got to pay to go to three of those things this month (I hate enkais. :() I just can't afford it. So instead, I ordered a simple cross-stitch design to make as a gift.

It's a pretty little design that has plum blossoms in a vase (they're blooming right now) and a message in Chinese wishing health, love, happiness, tranquility, and so on. I really liked the little messages, and even though it's in Chinese, it's easy enough to figure out what it means because the characters have the same meaning in Japanese.

Anyway, now that I'm getting ready to make it, I'm deliberating on whether or not I should change the message to something in Japanese. I've tried finding a simple way to say the same message, but it's so much simpler in Chinese. I can't figure out for the life of me how to say it in Japanese without having to make it a full sentence, and even then it sounds more like something that would go on a letter than on a wall hanging.

I have another option, though, to instead put his favorite poem on it. I know it's his favorite because at one of my early meetings he told me about it and explained that it was his favorite. The only thing is that it's a love poem, and it just feels really inappropriate to give my retiring principal a love poem. He might get the sentiment, but it just seems to be crossing a boundary to me.

Do you think it's okay to give it even if it's in Chinese? I mean, I guess the worst that would happen is they'd all thing I was a stupid foreigner who can't tell the difference. Thoughts?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I don't think it would matter if you gave him the poem. Love poem or not, it's his favourite, and that's the point, in my opinion. If you feel really nervous about it, just briefly mention something like "I know it's your favourite" as you give it to him. He'll get it.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the gift is sincere, and the message is sincere, the form doesn't matter (unless there is some esthetic/artistic impact).

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Mandy. I think that sounds like a beautiful gift, not to mention the thought and care and time you're putting behind it. :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... can understand your reservations about the poem. Personally, I'd opt to include no writing. Maybe just substitute little patterns for the letters. Then in addition, you might give a card with the poem in it, saying as how you recall its being his favorite or something of the sort. And you could also include a message written in Chinese or Japanese letters. Whatever you choose to do will be appreciated, I'm sure. It's ashame the party costs so much. I'm sure you're not the only one who won't be going because of the cost.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, now that I'm getting ready to make it, I'm deliberating on whether or not I should change the message to something in Japanese. I've tried finding a simple way to say the same message, but it's so much simpler in Chinese. I can't figure out for the life of me how to say it in Japanese without having to make it a full sentence, and even then it sounds more like something that would go on a letter than on a wall hanging.

Can you do it as a haiku? If not, what about doing it in English?

Just thoughts...

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I think Ken's idea of giving a card with the poem is spot on. I think what ever you opt to do the fact that you are making him an original and very personal gift will be very much appreciated.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That's very thoughtful of you, kaitie and shows you're very nice to be so concerned about your gift. I bet he'll love it.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Can you do it as a haiku? If not, what about doing it in English?

Just thoughts...

Well, the current message is basically wishing happiness, health, love, tranquility, and so on. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Hm...I'll think about the haiku thing. That might work as well.