PDA

View Full Version : I hate school computers.

Project nachonaco
03-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I really do.

I lost half of an essay because NOTHING SAVES on these, or I'm doing it wrong, or something.

So now I get to redo my essay. Joy and f--king rapture.

Next semester I'm using my laptop again.

Medievalist
03-03-2010, 11:51 PM
There's probably a network drive that you're supposed to have a "share" or an account on. Skip it. Get a USB stick and save to it.

Also periodically email the thing to yourself. Just copy and paste to the email body; don't attach.

ad_lucem
03-04-2010, 12:11 AM
I worked in the computer lab for a while back in the day.

I mean, way back in the day. Zip drive back in the day.

Still, I recall the horror stories. Whole dissertations eaten by the void... so, yeah, what Medievalist said.

Austere
03-04-2010, 01:00 AM
They are always really slow.

Medievalist
03-04-2010, 01:26 AM
This sorta bugs me as someone who was responsible for both teaching labs and open access labs.

It's not a lot of work to maintain the drives, frankly. It's not even all that technical. I purged computers on a regular schedule, either nightly or weekly, by simply overwriting the drive with a new image.

Students should have access to a networked server that they can use from anywhere, on or off campus, for local file storage. It should have up to day malware protection.

The technology should help, not hinder, education and productivity.

Project nachonaco
03-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Praise Jeebus, he's letting me turn it in a day late. :D

Matera the Mad
03-04-2010, 06:56 AM
I have a feeling that school computers are mostly abused and undermaintained suffering creatures. Poor things. I want to rescue them, groom and feed them, find good homes for them....

Yeshanu
03-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I have a feeling that school computers are mostly abused and undermaintained suffering creatures. Poor things. I want to rescue them, groom and feed them, find good homes for them....

Not only that, in some of our schools, they're mostly donated computers of ancient vintage...

In my ex's school, he's the teacher that maintains the computers. It's not really part of his job, but none of the other teachers know enough to even check to see if it's plugged in if the darn thing doesn't turn on at first. (The computers aren't the only things of ancient vintage, it seems...) There's no such thing as a dedicated computer technician for the school, and the board technician apparently only makes things worse than he arrives. A school that's completely dependent on the board technician (b/c there's no teacher there that knows enough about computers) would be sol.

So yeah, Medeivalist is right--I'd go the email to yourself route, myself. And the flash drive route. AND get your own laptop back.

As numerous threads on numerous forums on this board can attest, backing up your work in more than one way is not just smart, it's essential. :)

And I'm glad you got things sorted out with the teacher so you could get your essay in.