McDonald's salads are always sold out lately. Why?

Are the McDonald's in your area always out of salads lately?

• Yes, constantly.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I rarely go there, but it did happen to me once or twice recently.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Never eat there. So I have no idea.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • What's McDonald's?

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I take the kids to dance class on Monday nights and then again on Wednesday nights. And after class we swing through the McDonald's drive-thru. As incentive for them to be good during class, they will get a Happy Meal if they're perfect, then get downgraded to just a burger and fries if they're a little bad, and then get downgraded again to no fries, etc.

Well, I always order a salad for myself --either the Caesar salad or the Southwestern. And for the past two months, they have always been out of the darned salads! Always! And not ust at oe McDonald's either--Ialternately swing through a selection of different drive-thrus in different parts of the city, and ALL of them have been out of salads! I haven't had a McDonald's salad since New Year's!

Is my region the only on impacted by this? Anyone else been told recently "Sorry, no more salads tonight."

mcsalad.jpg

salads.RowPar.0001.ContentPar.0001.ColumnPar.18780.Image.gif

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm guessing it's an inability to get enough fresh produce. It's hard to find lettuce in the grocery store these days. Maybe McD's is having the same problem. Maybe they start out each day with very few salads because of supply?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've never even tried to buy a salad there. If I'm going to McCrapper, it's not for salad.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I go there about once every two months, and I've ordered salads, and they've always had them. But that's for lunch. Don't know about dinner. Maybe more people are ordering salads than before. Or Mickie D.s is ordering less from their supplier so there are no leftovers.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I go there about once every two months, and I've ordered salads, and they've always had them. But that's for lunch. Don't know about dinner. Maybe more people are ordering salads than before. Or Mickie D.s is ordering less from their supplier so there are no leftovers.

Yes. My problem is always at night, after 6 PM.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
That's all my eldest would ever eat from there for the longest time. He's just not a burger n' fries kind of kid. My middle guy could live on cheeseburgers (if I were insane and would allow that kind of thing). And of course, the princess kind of likes McNuggets, but mostly she just likes the playplace (usually eating two nuggets, a handful of fries, and leaving me to toss the rest).

That said, my older guy won't eat the salad there anymore. He complained the last time that the tomato "tasted funny" and the lettuce was slimy.

So, I don't know if the McD's has salad issues here, BUT....

I do know that the local produce at the grocery stores isn't rotated as often as it used to be. I have to be very careful how/when I buy so that I don't end up with nasty stuff.

I'm literally to the point of more or less buying produce as I go. It doesn't last because it's just not as fresh. That, and there is less variety, and sometimes things do go out of stock.

Times, they're a changin'...

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
yeah they also have dressing with 21 grams of fat.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They don't even bother to have them on hand here. Yet they are listed on the menu.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

This follows the nutritional logic that suggests any veggie eating is to be considered healthy, even if the veggie were hidden in a deep fried cheese dough. :D

"I don't know why I'm fat! All I eat are vegetables!**"

**dipped in cheese, coated with lard, and rolled in a mixture of msg, white sugar and salt

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
While drinking a diet coke.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing they're sold out because people are eating them.

Just a guess.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com

*Dons Technical Tori hat*

Actually, there was some research that indicated a little fat in the salad dressing helps a person absorb some of the nutrients in the salad.

But you have to make good dressing choices, of course.

/Technical Tori hat

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
The ironic thing is people tend to make fun of those who eat a regular meal but have a diet soda or water. What you may not be considering for those of you who mock them, is that they have health issues that adding a regularly sweetened soda compounds. I avoid soda but I absolutely avoid sugar soda and the reason for that is I have low blood sugar. Combine pure liquid sugar (which is sweetened soda) on top of a meal and my blood sugar spikes, my pancreas has a hissy fit...gives me an overload of insulin and BAM, I am in the throws of a reactive hypoglycemic episode that is truly at time terrifying.

And some people believe it or not prefer the taste of artificial sweeteners as they are way sweeter to the taste.

So mock away but I'll have my burger without the bun and add a small fry while drinking diet soda or water. :)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, but the two chocolate brownies with icing, the slice of red velvet cake, the lemon square, and the doughnut I had this morning probably weren't all that great for me.

It's food day at work. At least I ate salad for lunch.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
*Dons Technical Tori hat*

Actually, there was some research that indicated a little fat in the salad dressing helps a person absorb some of the nutrients in the salad.

But you have to make good dressing choices, of course.

/Technical Tori hat

There is nothing helpful about 21 grams of fat in a packet of dressing.

For instance, I have a 2lb jar of classico tomato and basil spaghetti sauce. It has 7 grams of fat. That means that one packet of mcdonalds dressing has the same fat content as 6 lbs of spaghetti sauce...

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website

For instance, I have a 2lb jar of classico tomato and basil spaghetti sauce. It has 7 grams of fat. That means that one packet of mcdonalds dressing has the same fat content as 6 lbs of spaghetti sauce...
I said you still have to make good dressing choices. You just want a little fat in there, too.

You can't use a ton of the highest fat dressing and call it healthy. I find those 'single serving' packets too big for one salad anyway.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

No one has to use all of the dressing given either.

And it depends on the kind of fat as to JUST how bad that fat is for you. How many carbs are in the classico tomato and basil spaghetti sauce? Not sure? Let me go to my cupboard and I'll tell you. :)
*walks back to her desk* Right.

24 oz jar = 5 servings.........................
5 grams of fat......................1 gram per serving
45 grams of carbohydrates......9 grams per serving
5 grams of fibre (not enough)..1 gram per serving
10 grams of protein...............2 grams per serving

Now looking at that and knowing what I know about my body, I'd take more fat over carbohydrates...especially given that it's going to be typically coupled with more carbs like spaghetti or bread and cheeses too. Too many carbs, which converts to sugar and then it's stored in your body as excess fat.

So let's ask a helpful question.

How many grams of fat should a person have each day. (assuming of course we are excluding trans fats. )

The answer is..well it depends. Not only on the type of fats to consume but also if you are in good health and fit or trying to lose weight or lower cholesterol and/or triglycerides.

From the Cleveland Clinic
A low-fat style of eating is important for maintaining a healthy weight and preventing heart disease. The dietary reference intake for fat in adults is 25 to 35 percent of total calories from fat. That's about 56 to 77 grams of fat or less per day if you eat 2,000 calories a day.

From the Mayo Clinic
Health experts at the Institute of Medicine recommend that healthy adults get 20 to 35 percent of their total calories from fat. Each gram of fat has 9 calories. So, if you're trying to eat 1,800 calories a day, you should have no more than 70 grams of fat a day — 35 percent of 1,800 calories = 630 calories, divided by 9 (calories per gram of fat) = 70 grams.

It stands to reason if you are lowering your caloric intake to 1500 calories a day then you would do the math. 1500 calories=33 grams fat (20%) and 58 grams of fat (35%). I would definitely not go for the 35% but let's keep this in perspective here...

Even IF someone ate all the dressing in the pouch and had no other added fats for the day, they are going to be just fine.

Do ALL the math not just part of it.

Last edited:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I said you still have to make good dressing choices. You just want a little fat in there, too.

You can't use a ton of the highest fat dressing and call it healthy. I find those 'single serving' packets too big for one salad anyway.

If anyone used the whole dressing packet on the salad the salad would very quickly go from salad to slaw.

I feel the same way about the ChickFilet wraps. The dip or topping they provide is way more than anyone could possibly need for one wrap.

Fast food is fast food. :Shrug:

It's better for the wallet and the wasteline to avoid it as often as possible anyway.