PDA

View Full Version : A little worried

MarloweCanning
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this site, I have a question for anyone who is an agent or has a good idea of the manner in which they work regarding submissions.

I was requested a full manuscript following a partial I had sent and recieved the request within a few hours.

The agent (based in Scotland) stated in his e-mail that he had read only half of what I had sent him but was 'pretty sure' he wanted to see the full manuscript.

I took this as a good sign however and so a few days later I sent of the full ms.

It's been nearly 7 weeks and I've heard no word back.

What should be my next move. I'm tempted to send him an e-mail to ask if he's gotten around to reading my work but don't obviously want to sound pushy.

Should I stick it out for another while? How long should I wait or should I just grow a pair and send of an e-mail of enquiry.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Cyia
03-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Assuming you've checked this person out to make sure he's legit, 7 weeks is nothing. You need to be at least at the 3 month mark before you start asking about a full.

MarloweCanning
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Cheers Cyria, he's legit and it's a reputable agency - I'm concerned mostly because of the initial quick response (like a say - a few hours) and had assumed it wouldn't be too long after that that I would get word back about the full ms.

Thanks

waylander
03-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Quick response means you caught him on a good day when he had time to read your sample. He saw enough to make a decision. Now however one of his clients has just fallen out with her editor and another one has just delivered a manuscript that is 50% too long and he has to work out how to cut it down before he can get to your manuscript.

MarloweCanning
03-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Cheers mate... I must admit I feel really that I'm swimming around in totally unchartered territory. Just trying my best to get as much indictions from agent replies that I can with out over analysising things and making myself more nervous/worried/impatient/freaked out etc etc.

thanks

flyingtart
03-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't worry, Marlowe. Reading a full manuscript takes a big investment in time and, as waylander says, agents have lots of other things to do. I know how hard it is to wait but publishing is a waiting game so get used to it! You'd be well advised to get on with writing something else and try not to obsess about it. Oh, and congratulations - hope it works out for you.

MarloweCanning
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
thanks flyingtart...

I've been getting stuck in to some new work and it was certainly a confidence boost to get the request for the full ms and so writing for my new novel has been much easier (don't tend to doubt every line I write now)... patience is the key I suppose - I tend to have good days and bad.

Either chomping at the bit to get a response :Hammer: or quite happy to sit in limbo on the assumption that no news is good news. :e2zipped:

I'm sure most people are just the same.

Reply's are much appreciated guys, thankyou

Jamesaritchie
03-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, I wouldn't have sent the full until I knew for certain that he wanted it. "Pretty sure" does not mean definitely. As it is, you just have to treat it like he did want it. Two months is generally the standard for sending a polite inquiry about status.

MarloweCanning
03-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Fair enough Jamie, but I wasn't for a second going to ask him to make up his mind one way or the other. :)

Be a bit rude

And thanks