What do I do next?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I just got this email from a small publisher based in the States about a submisson I made a few months ago.

Luke,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We just added a new editor to handle most of the work on book-length manuscripts so we can catch up on the back-log of work. We are very interested in publishing 'SET. I, or our new editor, will get back with you very soon concerning your book.

So the question is what the hell do I do next - other than get very drunk? Do I try to find a UK based agent? Do I figure since they're so small, agents won't be interested? This is waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy beyond any of my experience.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must party like it's 1999. :hooray:

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
The problem is that once u have a contract, an agent wont really have anything to do. I am in the same situation where I have an offer from a publisher, but no agent. The way I have done it is I have emailed all the agents who requested partials and fulls and told them of the offer. I have also notified them that I intend to take it up within 10 working days and if they want to be my agent they can deal with the details. after 10 days I will sign my contract without them.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, so can't offer any concrete advice. What I can do, however, is offer up a huge CONGRATS!! :partyguy:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I don't know, so can't offer any concrete advice. What I can do, however, is offer up a huge CONGRATS!! :partyguy:

Thanks. At the moment, I don't know whether they're talking about e-publishing or 'normal' publishing, but still, it's a good start.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif

smiley-happy096.gif

poze.gif

emoticon-char-038.gif

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
I was once told, many moons ago, by an agent that she would automatically take me on if I was offered a book contract (this was with a reputable publisher). I didn't get the contract, so no agent either, but from that experience I would say query American agents, tell them you have an offer from a publisher based in the states. Don't send them your book unless their submission guidelines specifically say to.

Oh, and of course, CONGRATULATIONS! This is excellent news!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Seun, no advice but congratulations! That's wonderful!!!! :)

Mystic Blossom

My heart's a battleground
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rachellieberman.wordpress.com
Interesting. I didn't think of doing that.

You could try querying agents in the UK as well, and I wish that someone with actual experience could back me up/correct me, but I believe that a US agent would be your best bet, since he/she would be more familiar with the markets on this side of the pond.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
Find an agent who you'd like to have rep you, and tell them you have a contract in hand and are looking for someone to represent/help you. That, most times (per what I recall from the Miss Snark archives), gets attention faster than anything else on the slush pile.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Find an agent who you'd like to have rep you, and tell them you have a contract in hand and are looking for someone to represent/help you. That, most times (per what I recall from the Miss Snark archives), gets attention faster than anything else on the slush pile.

I would say do this. It sounds like the best idea. I would send them a normal qurry as in a sanopses of the book but I would also make it clear that you HAVE a publisher willing to buy the book that you just wish to have some help.
:hooray::partyguy:
CONGRATS! And I so wish I had this problem :(

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Luke, it'll be interesting to see how you decide to handle it, but in the meantime - congratulations!

I'm going for UK agents at the moment. Most of the replies I've had from email queries have been to go for the standard 'send in the post and wait for it to get lost'. One reply was definitely friendlier and more personal than the others, so I've posted a sample to them and am emailing a load of others.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I would wait until you hear what the publisher says. Once you have an actual contract in hand, THEN email your top agent picks in the UK and tell them you have a contract and ask if they would like to see your book. And I would put "Contract from ___" in the subject line.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I would wait until you hear what the publisher says. Once you have an actual contract in hand, THEN email your top agent picks in the UK and tell them you have a contract and ask if they would like to see your book. And I would put "Contract from ___" in the subject line.

Nice idea. Depending on how my subs go over the next two weeks, I'll definitely bear that in mind.