PDA

View Full Version : Author reviewers

*RomanceWriter*
03-03-2010, 01:35 AM
Is anyone here a reviewer for a professional review site and also a published author?
Do you ever find the two conflict?
Do you review anonymously or proudly advertise yourself?
Thanks

Jess Haines
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I review on my blog and on Goodreads. Don't do it "for" anyone, per se. Is that what you mean?

willietheshakes
03-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Not a site reviewer. Does reviewing for the Globe & Mail, National Post, Vancouver Sun, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Edmonton Journal, Montreal Gazette and others count? ;)

Topaz044
03-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Not an official reviewer, but I do review horror movies and a couple of books on my blog. I don't find the two conflict, and I do occasionally advertise on my blog as well.

jennontheisland
03-04-2010, 06:01 AM
I used to review for a specific sub-genre site.
I didn't review my CP's book.
I reviewed under my real name, not my (unpublished) pen name.

veinglory
03-04-2010, 06:46 AM
I find it wise to avoid reviewing books by people I know or released by publishers I write for.

willietheshakes
03-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I find it wise to avoid reviewing books by people I know or released by publishers I write for.

Wimp. ;)

veinglory
03-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Discretion is the better part of wimpiness.

willietheshakes
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Discretion is the better part of wimpiness.

Discretion? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that word...

MissKris
03-04-2010, 11:39 PM
I review books on YA Highway and I find it particularly difficult 1) because, as a writer, I want to be respectful to other writers and 2) the YA community is small (go ahead, ask me who I've talked to recently. ;) ). I thought about making it my policy to only review books I liked (which is my policy on Goodreads) but now I try to think of it as more like "promoting" books than reviewing them. Mentioning the parts I liked and thinking about what kind of reader might enjoy the story. Not that I'm dishonest - I do mention if I think the pace is too slow or the characters aren't likable (or, on the flipside, too perfect), etc.

Granted, I'm not a pro. But we do have lots of followers on YA Highway and I know YA authors read it. Take it for what you will. :)