I need gift ideas for a 7 year old boy

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
What would you get for a 7 year old boy for his birthday?

I haven't talked to him since November, don't know if he got/liked the Christmas presents I sent via the lawyers.

I am not allowed to send anything that could possibly be construed as a weapon because my ex is concerned The Boy will start using violence as an unhealthy means of dealing with emotions... yeah, I don't get it either, but whatever.

He's a StarWars freak (much to my trekkie dismay) but has indulgent grandparents so anything I get will likely be a double.

*sigh*

I really don't want to send gift cards, but I think I may not have a choice.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about a really cool sweater, jacket or cap?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Oo I ditto the bunney- Legos star wars sets- My son loves them!
or Bionicles- what about the DVDs of star wars?

As for books- Diary of a wimpy kid would be perfect!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An electronic fart machine that has a remote that can activate it from 50 feet away. No...wait. That's for an adult who acts like a 7 year-old (lost my damn remote).

If he hasn't read them the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series of books (posted in parallel to sheadakota). My eight year-old devoured them. He's also into Pokemon and the newer collectibles (Bakugan and a few other newer ones). He likes skate boarding and rip-sticking, and he uses his Razor scooter all of the time.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
BOOKS! Really cool ones, like classic adventure stories that would appeal to boys (Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson's, Robinson Crusoe, etc.) Make sure you sign and date the inside cover...even leave a little message.

My grandparents and parents always gave me books as a kid and it's really cool to look at the dates and messages on them now.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Pyrohawk

Aspiring author
Registered
Reaction score
Columbus OH...grew up on a farm in Greenfield OH.
How about one of the many many star wars video games? He's 7, thats plenty old enough to play video games.

Its hard when you can't give him anything weaponlike... I thought all little boys played with weapon toys? Toy guns and swords pretty much made up my entire childhood. And I've never been in a fight.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
My 6 year old son is into video games, dinosaurs, cars and trucks, baseball, an movies.

Don't know how much you into spending, but if he has any kind of gaming system, new video games are always awesome and a lot of times you can buy them used for fairly cheap.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
What would you get for a 7 year old boy for his birthday?

I haven't talked to him since November, don't know if he got/liked the Christmas presents I sent via the lawyers.

I am not allowed to send anything that could possibly be construed as a weapon because my ex is concerned The Boy will start using violence as an unhealthy means of dealing with emotions... yeah, I don't get it either, but whatever.

He's a StarWars freak (much to my trekkie dismay) but has indulgent grandparents so anything I get will likely be a double.

*sigh*

I really don't want to send gift cards, but I think I may not have a choice.

Hmm, well, depending on how much of a nerdy type he may be... I know my kids loved stuff from Elenco at that age (still do, really). And books, of course, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, etc. Also, DIY books like the Sneaky Book for Boys (well, maybe not, this book might be seen as a weapon LOL) or Amazing Rubber Band Cars...

If nothing sounds good out of that group... eh... it's hard to say. Video games are always an easy bet and building stuff.

Hope that helps!

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

The Captain Underpants books were popular when he was 4-5, and since his dad is into organized sports and being a tough guy... I'm not sure how well the Wimpy Kid books would go over. I'll check out the Dumb Bunny ones next. :)

I picked up a used GameBoy at a garage sale for him last summer but he wanted to keep it at my place and as far as I know that's his only game system. He loved playing Lego StarWars on Wii at my friend's place, but a Wii is way out of my budget (I'm a student living off of loans).

The only other thing I've been able to come up with is a crate of Kinder Eggs. You can get a 24 pack at Costco and I know he likes them.

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
If he's into sports you could pick up a wiffle ball & bat for just a few bucks, Jenn. Nerf footballs are also cheap and indispensible for the young linebacker-to-be.

:)

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sorry, every idea I come up with is weapon related :/

what about a small trampoline?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Hm. My Ex was all on about T-Ball and how great it was when he was a kid... Maybe some kind of set like that....

Thanks!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's rotten that gifts have to go through lawyers. That makes me weep, Jenn.

An electronic fart machine that has a remote that can activate it from 50 feet away. No...wait. That's for an adult who acts like a 7 year-old (lost my damn remote).
Actually, the humble Whoopee Cushion is always popular! And I second the Nerf football idea - or one of those footballs with the tailfins.

A neat trinket we found at a discount shop this weekend - little hand-held fans with LED lights in the blades (which are harmless - they're plastic, about as thick and flexible as a raincoat). They display programmable messages as the blades spin. They cost three bucks here, cheap enough to use as party favors or dinner table place cards.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
air hogs...had to add air hogs... the kids have cars that "drive on the walls"...love them...