Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Yeah, I'll say. Snarky, snarky, snarky.

I hate it when "journalists" don't bother to get their facts straight, fall back on cliches about the romance genre, and then have the nerve to say that romance writers can't write. <G> Hey, do some research, it won't kill you!
Susan G.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Susan Gable said:
...I hate it when "journalists" don't bother to get their facts straight, fall back on cliches about the romance genre, and then have the nerve to say that romance writers can't write. <G> Hey, do some research, it won't kill you!

:Cheers:

I remember when the Janet Daily plagiarism case came to light. Most of the reporting was snarky (although still not as snarky as the Guardian article). Many so-called journalists said things like "Now you know why all romances sound alike." (Right, as if they had read any -- most of the reporters who said that were the type who look as if they don't read anything that's not on a teleprompter.) In Romantic Times, Bertrice Small said something like "The only things that all sound alike were the articles written about the plagiarism." (Of course, she said it much more wittily than I. :D )

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
So M&B started production 50 or 60 years ago (chick-lit's not all that old)? Nah, don't think so. It was more like 100, and it was never a production line. M&B even published PG Wodehouse.

May come back once I've read the rest of the stupid article.

(I used to work at M&B, hence my grrrr-iness)

ETA: Woah, that's an offensive article. Has she ever read any recent M&B books? I used to work on the historical line there, and there was always variety, and, and, grrrrrrrr! she's made me too mad to reply properly, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Wow. That was a totally harsh article. I loved the remark how anyone could write a romance. Ha! I'd like to see this person try to write a convincing love story. And you know something? When I pick up a romance novel, I want that element of fantasy. I'm happily married, of course, but what woman doesn't once in a while want to escape reality and fancy herself in the arms of a tall, drink of water that will protect us even if we have PMS? lol

Say what they will, what we do is hard and I dare them to try it out. Gotta love it...

annafallon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annaf.net
I have just read a couple of M&B's in the desire category, they were great and I aspire to write this well. All these people who think writing romance is easy should try it for themselves. Sure it's easy after you have been at it for years, but then so is brain surgery I would think.

I like reading it and love writing it, I don't give a toss what the knockers say, how do they know how 'bad' it is if they haven't read it, if you don't like it, don't read it and get off our backs!

Status
Not open for further replies.