The Best Single Episode of TV You Have Ever Seen!

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
What is the best episode of any series you ever on TV? I have several that have stood out. The Definately Miami Episode of Miami Vice that guest starred Ted Nugent. The Lost pilot.

But the one that I think stands out above all others is the first episode of the reimagined Battlestar Galactica I ever saw. It was the episode Guess What's Coming to Dinner.

I had just broken up with my girlfriend after 7 years together and moved back to my hometown. I had just had my internet installed and was surfing when I came upon Hulu.com and while looking over the full episodes I came across BSG.

I had never had any interest in BSG and remembered it as a campy series from the 70s. Having nothing else to do I clicked on the episode.

Holy Crap! I was awe struck by the acting, the mood, the camera work. I had no idea what was going on as far as the story arc, but the episode started with an enemy baseship jumping into the middle of the fleet. The CIC goes into full attack mode scrambling fighters, turning around the guns and close in systems and the rest of the fleet starts jumping away in a panic.

I was completely mesmerized. I watched the rest of the episodes as they aired on SciFi but this was the best episode of an outstandingly well done series. I kicked myself for missing the first three seasons.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm....single episode? That's tough.

I'll go with the series finale of Sex and the City. Loved it.

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm....single episode? That's tough.

I'll go with the series finale of Sex and the City. Loved it.

My girlfriend used to love that show. I remember the part of the finale where the older one with cancer was making love with her boyfriend and some flowers he had brought her were blooming. I found that very touching.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, tough question. :) I thought the pilot episode of Glee was hilarious. I think of all time, though, the first two episodes of the second season of The West Wing are the most memorable. (I'd nominate the entire first two seasons for their fantastic writing throughout, if I could!)

ether

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kelley-york.com
Law & Order: Criminal Intent, the episode "Purgatory." I wanted to give Goren a big hug the entire episode. :(

That aside, umm. Lost's "Do No Harm." Booooone.

I don't watch enough television to think of more. Drat.

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
The season 7 premiere of NCIS. That episode was awesome. Gibbs always saves the day. :D

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Honorable mentions.....from the past, Star Trek, "city on the edge of forever"
The nearer past, NYPD blue can't think of the title but it was a david Caruso interview of a suspect that was spine tingling it was so good.
The Best pure episode of greatness,,,,,, MASH..... again can't remember the title, but it was during one of their famous card games where different characters chimed in and out, Radar hits a little chinese guy with a jeep, best line.... Little guy, anywhere between 60 and 120 years old,,, yeah, Radar you hit whiplash wang.. well know accident victim. Colonel Flag, hawk, Blake, trapper, just fucking kill in this episode.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
i didn't see it but quickwit told me that last nights season finale of the bachelor, on the wings of love, was the best tv he's ever witnessed.

:Shrug: personally, i'm guessing he just got caught up in the romance of it all.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow...now this thread has tripped some memories. I agree that the pilot for Glee was funny and memorable, but I think for me it was the first episode I watched of Gilmore Girls. I was clicking through channels and I paused long enough to see how fast the dialogue moved. I think it lit up a few extra synapses. It was the episode where Rory hit a deer on her way to school.

Also, the MASH finale had me crying like a baby, even though I still kind of was a baby.

And, last season's finale for Weeds made my jaw drop a little.

There are also a couple of episodes of All in the Family that have permanently left a mark on my psyche.

lucidzfl

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I can't pick a single episode. I could only pick whole series that had incredible moments.

The wire, The shield, Sons of Anarchy all have incredible moments. INCREDIBLE.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow...now this thread has tripped some memories. I agree that the pilot for Glee was funny and memorable, but I think for me it was the first episode I watched of Gilmore Girls. I was clicking through channels and I paused long enough to see how fast the dialogue moved. I think it lit up a few extra synapses. It was the episode where Rory hit a deer on her way to school.

I remember that episode. That was a good show, I thought.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The pilot episode of Roar and the final episode of Avatar-The Last Airbender

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
The episode of ER when Dr. Greene dies. That's probably the only time I got emotional watching television.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Episode 3 of season 2 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer ("School Hard").

Luuuurve that episode. ;)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Ever?

Probably the Blackadder Scarlet Pimpernel episode .
I think the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth was the best of those. Funny, sure, but the humour surrounded and enhanced the poignancy, imho.
Blackadder Goes Forth said:
Private Baldrick: There's a nasty splinter on that ladder, sir. A bloke could hurt himself on that.
[another call: "Stand ready" - they put their hands on the ladders ready to climb]
Private Baldrick: I have a plan, sir.
Captain Blackadder: Really Baldrick? A cunning and subtle one?
Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.
Captain Blackadder: As cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
Private Baldrick: Yes, sir.
[another call: "On the signal, Company will advance"]
Captain Blackadder: Well, I'm afraid it's too late. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of here by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
[a whistle blows he looks at Baldrick]
Captain Blackadder: Good luck, everyone.
[Blackadder blows his whistle, there is a roar of voices as everyone leaps up the ladders, meeting the machine gun fire]
I get shivers down my spine and goosebumps every time I see this scene. If you know the history, and the characters, it's especially good.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
The episode of ER when Dr. Greene dies. That's probably the only time I got emotional watching television.

Ooooh...good one.

That reminds me of the episode of Grey's Anatomy where Christina's left at the alter. I was sobbing! That was so emotional!

the addster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
addiepray.wordpress.com
I think the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth was the best of those. Funny, sure, but the humour surrounded and enhanced the poignancy, imho.

I get shivers down my spine and goosebumps every time I see this scene. If you know the history, and the characters, it's especially good.

Yes, that one is good too. All of the Blackadder stuff was.

Oh course I almost said, Trailer Perk Boys, the Samsquatch episode. So you can tell I'm coming from a fairly immature place. :)

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
Mary Tyler Moore episode where Chuckles the Clown dies. Mary is the only one who takes his death seriously, until--of course--the funeral, when she cracks up out of control.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't seen that episode, but that would probably win for me. Band of Brothers is great.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

Oh yeah, that was awesome

I also loved the Back to Reality episode of Red Dwarf ( was also the last in a series IIRC), I remember sitting there thinking 'Noooooo! it can't be it can;t...Dwayne Dibbley?'

And then all became clear. Polymorph and Queeg were WTF awesome too

Close second is the Wilma Flinstone moment....Betty Rubble? Well, I'd do Betty *sigh* but I'd be thinking of Wilma!

Why are we talking about going to bed with WIlma Flintstone? She'd never leave Fred and we know it.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh! The bit in Queeg where Lister fires his pea into the sock basket. That cracks me up every time. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Ooh! The bit in Queeg where Lister fires his pea into the sock basket. That cracks me up every time. :D

Well, I want my pea back. It's my pea. I earned that pea. Where is it? I don't care if it's on the floor all covered in fluff,if it's under the bed with my toenail clippings, I don't care where it is -- it's my pea, I earned it, and I'm going to eat it no matter what!

It's in your sock basket

I'll just have the toast...

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score

Well, I want my pea back. It's my pea. I earned that pea. Where is it? I don't care if it's on the floor all covered in fluff,if it's under the bed with my toenail clippings, I don't care where it is -- it's my pea, I earned it, and I'm going to eat it no matter what!

It's in your sock basket

I'll just have the toast...

:roll: