Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Woke up to a polite rejection e-mail. They said my story had gone through the first round of their selection process, but didn't make the cut on further review.

Here's what made me laugh:
One editor had an extreme reaction, finding the premise "so gross that I could barely scan, let alone read".
That makes me feel oddly proud. At least I had an effect!

They also said it needed something more to win the reader's suspension of disbelief. That's a fair cop, and I've often made the same criticism of other stories. I'll work on it.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've been getting more personal rejections; when I started it was all form rejections. That makes me feel I'm getting closer, since they're interested enough to take a little time. And I can tell my skills are improving. Well, you can't win if you don't play.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm curious as to what the premise of this story was...

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nothing that outre. It was about a family wake at which people ingest cremains (baked into brownies) and experience visions of their ancestors' lives. Fairly light-hearted in tone, really. (Every family has something that seems normal to them but odd to others.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, that is interesting. Granted, I first read that as "incest" rather than "ingest," but that's probably because I was expecting something really awful. Kinda icky, but that does make it even more amusing. :)

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I've been getting more personal rejections; when I started it was all form rejections. That makes me feel I'm getting closer, since they're interested enough to take a little time. And I can tell my skills are improving. Well, you can't win if you don't play.

That's the spirit. Think about it. These markets have stacks and stacks of manuscripts. They barely have the time to read through all of them, let alone personally respond to the writer. A personal note means that your manuscript has merit, and they are encouraging you to either send them something else, or keep plugging away at other markets with it. Maybe some editors just want to be nice, but I don't see why they'd go out of their way to comment to a writer whom they've never heard of, you know?

Like you, I started out with myriad form rejections. Then I noticed that most rejections from that point were scribbled with a few comments like, "The writing is good, but.." Or, "I liked this idea, but..." And, "I'd like you to send me something else." It's validation, to me, that someone other than my mother sees promise in my writing, someone who is in the business. And that's a great feeling.

Good luck with this one. I hope I can read a published version of it soon. Let us know.

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Nothing that outre. It was about a family wake at which people ingest cremains (baked into brownies) and experience visions of their ancestors' lives. Fairly light-hearted in tone, really. (Every family has something that seems normal to them but odd to others.)
I love it! Sounds like something I'd write.
There are many places that would publish that type of story. Look them up on either ralan.com or duotrope.com Both great resources.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I love it! Sounds like something I'd write.
There are many places that would publish that type of story. Look them up on either ralan.com or duotrope.com Both great resources.
Thanks! I use duotrope regularly both to keep a log of submissions and to check out markets. I picked out another possible fit (that also qualifies for sfwa membership) and will submit to them today. (After a little revision.)

ETA: Done.

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Haha! Sounds delightfully Vonnegutian. (Vonn-a-gu-shan? Vonn-a-gutt-i-an?)

Austere

Registered
Reaction score
Nice one. I wish I could write something with that effect on people. And I mean that sincerely.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

That sounds like a story I'd love to read.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... whenever comments are personalized, rather than generic, that's a plus.
So don't put this story out to pasture just yet ;-)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I laughed at a form rejection the other day. Nowhere in it did the agent actually say she was rejecting me. The rejection apologized for being a "form reply" and told me some reasons why she rejects people in general, but never actually got around to telling me I was one of those people. It amused me.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I laughed at a form rejection the other day. Nowhere in it did the agent actually say she was rejecting me. The rejection apologized for being a "form reply" and told me some reasons why she rejects people in general, but never actually got around to telling me I was one of those people. It amused me.
Amusement is probably a healthy reaction. That's a whole level of rejection I haven't reached yet. All I've done is submit stories to magazines.

Jack Newcastle

Certified Malcontent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thecad.net
I like the rejection I got that read 'This is nothing we're interested in'. Nothing we're interested in. They might as well have said 'Mr. Newcastle, we've reviewed your material and we just want to let you know we had to have guys in Hazmat suits come in after your letter arrived. The building had to be cleared, your letter properly disposed of, and the entire place completely fumigated.' I'm surprised they haven't sent me a bill for process.

Form rejections from queries don't bother me. A rejection after a request for a partial? That bothers me.

Regards,

Jack

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My all-time favorite rejection was for a novel that opened with a teenager being raped. Not graphically or anything, but it was clear what was going on. The personalized rejection letter said it was engaging and well written, but they weren't doing anything with teens as major characters, but perhaps it would make a good early-reader book, and did I want to send it to their juvenile division?

Yeah, that's what kids need to read more of.

Maryn, sure they didn't really read it

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing that outre. It was about a family wake at which people ingest cremains (baked into brownies) and experience visions of their ancestors' lives.

It's interesting that cannibalism is no longer cannibalism if its blackened enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.