• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Medication and writer's block... what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been writer's blocked for a few weeks now, and during the check-up with my neurologist yesterday he told me that my new meds were more than likely causing it.

I have to take them because I get heavy migraines, eight to ten times a month. These are the only prophylactic meds on the market that will still allow me to drive my car and will not make me gain weight :(

Does anyone have experience with creativity-inhibiting medication? Is there anything I can do to get my groove back?

I had writer's block before, and that was different in that I still had ideas and dialogue and characters running through my head, they just didn't come out. But now, my head is just empty and I can't focus long enough to summon them :cry:

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
My last long drought was brought on by a 25 year old, volleyball playing, 6' 1" girlfriend (I was 47 at the time). Didn't get to write much, but boy was it fun NOT writing.

I have been on pain meds a couple of times. I ride motorcycles and have crashed a couple of times. The meds they gave me did not really interfere with my writing. But I had other things going on at the time like physical therapy, surgery and stuff.

Do you have to take your meds all of the time or only when you get your headaches?

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All the time, since the meds I take to get rid of the headaches are too heavy to take so often :(

With these meds, I get a migraine once or twice a month, which is heaven compared to the way it was. But I miss my writing!

Heh, I've been that girlfriend. Although I didn't play volleyball. Does horseback riding count?

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
All the time, since the meds I take to get rid of the headaches are too heavy to take so often :(

With these meds, I get a migraine once or twice a month, which is heaven compared to the way it was. But I miss my writing!

Heh, I've been that girlfriend. Although I didn't play volleyball. Does horseback riding count?

It must be sad to miss out on something you love so much. At least my writer's block was brought on by a prancing, green eyed latina in a tank top and panties which made it enjoyable.

I guess you could try to write something, anything, even if it is gibberish. Soon the dam has to break.

And a gal on horseback is much sexier than a woman playing volleyball, darlin'. Not even a Brazilian girl playing volleyball on a beach can top that. At least to a guy from Texas it is.

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm imagining those words being said in a Texan drawl. *melts into puddle*

That's it! I need a Texan character! :D

I think I'll try some prompts. The neurologist said some of the side-effects wear off after a couple of months, so here's hoping.

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

I could really use some extra advice, though :D

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
If it's causing you this much heartache, would it not be worth trying another set of meds? I know these are otherwise a very good fit but if they are making you miserable as a side effect, maybe it's worth trying some others?

I've had similar problems when taking anti-depressants and I had to keep rotating til I found ones that didn't numb my brain. Good luck with it.:)

Reaction score
The Best Place In The World...Absolute Write!!
Now that I am reading your thread, I just realized that my medication might be the cause of writer's block, too (anti-depressant) I've been taking it since the first week of November and since then I haven't been able to write 1 word in any of my stories. I feel sleepy all day and I can't wait till my next appt. with my doctor to see if there's any way that I can try a different medication that won't interfere with my life because it hurts not to write when you have unfinished manuscripts. :(

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's causing you this much heartache, would it not be worth trying another set of meds? I know these are otherwise a very good fit but if they are making you miserable as a side effect, maybe it's worth trying some others?

In theory, yes, but pretty much all the prophylactic meds on the market have severe drowsiness/loss of concentration as a side-effect, something I really can't afford when driving or working. And drowsiness/lack of concentration will probably numb my creativity as well :(

There were two options open to me, the one I'm taking now, and another type that has fairly severe side-effects including weight gain and hair loss. And I'm a total masochist, but that's too much, even for me :D

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't wait till my next appt. with my doctor to see if there's any way that I can try a different medication that won't interfere with my life because it hurts not to write when you have unfinished manuscripts. :(

Good luck! I hope you'll get meds that will enable you to get back to writing!

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
In theory, yes, but pretty much all the prophylactic meds on the market have severe drowsiness/loss of concentration as a side-effect, something I really can't afford when driving or working. And drowsiness/lack of concentration will probably numb my creativity as well :(

There were two options open to me, the one I'm taking now, and another type that has fairly severe side-effects including weight gain and hair loss. And I'm a total masochist, but that's too much, even for me :D

Is it possible then that you could get another tablet to counteract it or even a natural remedy? I wholeheartedly sympathise with you. I know it's horrible when illness and medication rob your creativity. :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
With the neurotransmitter drugs, give them some time, like weeks, to get used to them. Ah, true enough for beta blockers, too, actually. Sometimes you can even taper on them -- ask your doc.

After that, you might ask about your dosage. But that's between you and your doc!

I keep trying to back off on my beta blocker enough to raise my metabolism back up a little. Trying to find the perfect spot that keeps migraines (and a heartrate thing) at bay yet allows me to eat brownies and not gain weight :)

Good luck!

10trackers

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, I appreciate your input. Just the thought of people sharing my pain makes it better, somehow :D :Hug2:

I'm doing some research on alternative methods to boost creativity. I'll keep y'all posted!

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
10t, I had the same problem back in December. I'm not sure what you're taking, but my doctor had put me on topimax and after about a month, I could barely string two words together. I found out afterwards people call the stuff dopamax.

Anyhow, she switched me to verapamil, which is keeping me around 3-4 migraines a month instead of the 10-12 I was having. And it doesn't have any side effects I've noticed. (no weight gain, no cognitive impairment). It does take a little while to take effect though. It's a calcium channel blocker as opposed to a beta blocker. Essentially, the goal is to lessen the vasoconstrictive response of your head that causes the pain. (err, I think. Ask a doctor.)

HTH & good luck.

seoulguy

Registered
Reaction score
I am not a Dr.. take what I say knowing that. Don't sue me. :D

A few things you could do.

1st. remember your dr is human. some dr's just don't know everything. In fact, probably all dr's don't know everything. Not many will admit it though. There is no Dr. Houses running around everywhere.

That being said. Go online. Find a medication forum. Discuss your problem with other doctors and patients with the similar problem.

Do a bunch of searches into migraines. And treatment.
Research your drug, and any alternatives.

talk to your dr again. complain again. ask what are the options.
Is there less drowsy alternatives?
if not,
can you take uppers of some sort to counter act it? Ritalin works great for staying awake and concentration.
if not,
what does he think of the possibility of your body getting used to the drug, such that you eventually do not get drowsy? If it is a possibility, ask if you could step down to a lower dosage, to help remove the drowsiness. If not make sure you have your drug in pill form and not capsule form. If it is in capsule, ask for it in pill form. By all means, tell your dr that you would like to try cutting the pill in half, or even in quarters. Maybe spreading it out over a wider time. When and if you do get used to it, talk to your dr about increasing your dosage to the normal amount.

There are many ways of dealing with strong meds.

Do a search on dealing with strong meds.

remember these are migraines. though painful. if you do mess around with your drugs for a bit to get it right, it wont lead to death (from what I know) or you running around the mall in your underwear.

hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.