Reaction score
It's just, 'La Brea pits.'

If you say The La Brea Tar pits, all you're syaing is 'The the tar tar pits.'
It makes no sense.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
True. But, I'm coming around to the general understanding that, if you're looking for sense, you've arrived at the wrong tea party.

Srsly. We're. All. Mad. Here. (Not AW, per se, just the human race as a whole.)

Deleted member 42

This is called pleonasm; it's typical of place names that were given by previous inhabitants of an area but who were replaced by speakers of another language.

Torpenhow is another example as is the Paraguay River.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
This goes away as soon as you realize that all these names are just that...names. They aren't MEANT to be translated.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first real job involved taking certain customer data which could be used for skip tracing purposes if they didn't pay us. The data was stored on a Customer Information Card, or CIC. We shared this data with police who could provide the day's password, and I enjoyed a little chuckle at every narc who asked for "customer CIC card information."

Maryn, in charge of the Department of Redundancy Department

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But I like "the the tar tar pits." It has a stickiness to it in a stuttering, ohshit kind of way...

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
This is called pleonasm; it's typical of place names that were given by previous inhabitants of an area but who were replaced by speakers of another language.
I thought a pleonasm was a word that could be removed from a literary work without changing the works meaning.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think you're on to something when you say "the pits".

I went there in the 70's for a school field trip. Is that place still alive? Did any animals/humans survive?

:tongue

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score

Torpenhow is another example as is the Paraguay River.

How about native peoples who end up named for the places they were living at the time of colonization like the Navajo?

Deleted member 42

I thought a pleonasm was a word that could be removed from a literary work without changing the works meaning.

Think about it dude;

The the tar tar pits.

See anything there that could be removed without changing the meaning?

See also:

Definition of pleonasm
Pleonasm as a rhetorical term

Pleonasm is a way to describe redundancy; linguists usually distinguish between semantic pleonasm, which is what's happening in La Brea Tar Pits, and grammatical pleonasm, which is even more language dependent.

Deleted member 42

My first real job involved taking certain customer data which could be used for skip tracing purposes if they didn't pay us. The data was stored on a Customer Information Card, or CIC. We shared this data with police who could provide the day's password, and I enjoyed a little chuckle at every narc who asked for "customer CIC card information."

Maryn, in charge of the Department of Redundancy Department

I've got a friend who pretty much twitches every time someone refers to an "ATM machine."

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Shrimp scampi always makes me twitch.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Barbaric post-colonialism?

Okay, that works.

I always thought it kind of funny that a whole group of people (that held a nice, noble and meaningful name for their own group) would end up called, essentially, "the big field" or the "mud-brick-structure".

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Okay, that works.

I always thought it kind of funny that a whole group of people (that held a nice, noble and meaningful name for their own group) would end up called, essentially, "the big field" or the "mud-brick-structure".

It also goes on the other way, for example the word "Carib" is where we got "Cannibal" thanks to an association of said aboriginal group with certain alimentary quirks.