PDA

View Full Version : A non-rejection?

kaitie
03-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Alright, so I just received something that sounds pretty straight-forward, but I'm confused about it. I sent a hard-copy to someone who has apparently since changed her submission requirements. The message I received in the SASE says "We now accept hard copy queries that include the following" and asks for essentially a query letter and the first three chapters.

It isn't a request in the typical sense because it doesn't look like she even read the query (it was returned as well). Is this just a for future reference sorta thing, or is it okay to go ahead and send it back with the first few chapters even though I've already queried her? That's what it sounds like, but I just wanted to check before I sent it.

Chris P
03-02-2010, 08:31 AM
I'd send it again. What do you have to lose?

cate townsend
03-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Sounds like the rejection notice didn't make it in, or this is it. File it, and move on. If you really are curious though, resend with the three chapters. If she read and already rejected, then it won't matter anyway, and if she hadn't read, then you have a chance. Let us know how it goes.

kaitie
03-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, it seemed sorta weird because that's ALL it said, but it also actually included my name on it which implied she at least looked at it. Though, she could seriously have just looked at the letter long enough to find my name and type it, so who knows.

kellion92
03-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I think she was saying that you should resubmit with query with a partial and she'd restart the clock. Not a rejection, not a request, but a statement that her submissions guidelines have changed. I could be wrong though. But if it's that vague, it couldn't hurt to resubmit. At the very least it would alert her that she needs to rewrite that statement to avoid unintended requeries.

skippingstone
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I agree. Might as well requery. Agents should know by now that we writers are so delusionally hopeful that we will interpret anything short of "Go away, don't come back, and take that damned manuscript with you" as a potential opening.

kaitie
03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
Yeah, I was thinking so, too. I figure there are pretty much two options. One, she read the query and didn't hate it because if she had she'd have just rejected it off the bat, right? And two, she didn't read it at all, in which case it's not a big deal to resend. Thanks guys.