March Just Hit Send

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I get to start the thread today. Well, my February found me with 12 posts at The Freshman Writer and two at my portfolio. My parenting site saw no action as I focused on my first ever submission to a Chicken Soup book. That went out last Saturday. I'm hoping that it gets published because I think it's a good fit. I'm already imagining getting the paycheck and ten book copies (which I will sign and mail to my friends & family as well as save few copies to raffle off on The Freshman Writer! lol) Love to daydream. This month I'm focusing on a query letter for a regional parenting mag and I already have a salable idea. I drafted out notes on it as well as an idea for a sidebar. Gotta get cracking on that. I also just completed an editorial calendar for Momslikeme since I write so much over there. Other than that, no goals just accomplishments. Happy March pals!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Yea Sky! Way to start the month! My goals are again small and simple this month:

- submit to two anthologies
- send out five queries
- send LOI to mag that changed editors

see simple :)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
Great work/goals, you two! And when did March sneak up on us?

My goals for the month:
- hear back from agent about The Zombie Dating Guide (out on full)
- work on Pocket Full of Posies
- develop the An Army of Ermas blog in order to take over the world. Wha?
- schmooze more of you to join us at Ermas
- work on business/marketing plan for Ermas
- get back to work on plotting the sequel to the zombie dating guide
- edit BMS newsletter and write that YR@$R@ humor piece I've been too busy to write for it

cnbrath

shares cookies
Registered
Reaction score
My goals for the month:

1. Rearrange the schedule on my part-time job so that I can write more consistently, 20 hours per week.

2. Write 15 Demand Studio articles a week.

3. Send out 4 queries.

4. Start a blog.

5. Edit my portfolio (now that I've written over 100 articles) and clean up my website.

6. Find one other paying gig to supplement my income.

7. Taxes!

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, here were go again. Love some of those goals gals. I bailed on you all last month and somehow just never made it in here. So, here they are:

1.Add AW to my online stops (it's not like I have that many anyway) and,
1B. Post something while I'm here.
2. Get that darned proposal out. Sheesh, if I'd just send it out already it wouldn't be hanging around my neck.
3. Add something to my blog 2X a week, find some sort of theme for it would be nice too.
4. Write, and submit an article a week.
5. Continue promoting and selling book. (Have a goal of 5,000 by Nov. 1, still a long ways off, numbers wise, not days)
6. Write press releases for local newspapers to run before a signing, or even after.
7. Work on new project. More to come if it works out.
8.Yep, do the taxes.

That's it ladies and gents (do we have any gents anymore?). Talk to you all later this week.

Nita

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My goal this month feels like "survive"! I have three assignments due within two weeks totaling 6 or more interviews that I have to get done, like NOW. I'm sick and not in the mood, but apparently all that work I did last month paid off. Great.

Oops, make that one more assignment with at least 2 more interviews. I need a nap just thinking about it.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Wild - I'll be thinking of you so you can survive. :)
ritin - I'm so glad to see you here. :)
raven, cnbrath - taxes for me, too.
wynter - Glad to see you here. You must be a zombie with all the stuff you write about them. lol Just reading your list of goals makes me smile and shake. lol
Finished reading the first chapter of The Writer's Presence. So far so good. Will have to dissect it more. Posted twice at the Freshman Writer as usual and still working on that query letter as well as the part-time job. :) Later!

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since one of my goals is to visit and post here, here I am. After all, making and reaching goals is how I get to list accomplishments. Accomplishments are good things - right?

Yesterday I did zip on any of my steps towards reaching my goals. Except, I did call a radio station that had put out a call for hosts. I pitched being a host of something like "Oklahoma Book Radio" where I would discuss different Oklahoma authors and their books. Starting, of course, with mine.

Today, I'm going to drive two and a half hours and visit my little granddaughter and grandson. At some point in the day I will put in one hour on the Proposal.

See ya tomorrow. Keep up with the great goals and accomplishments, they are encouraging to me. Plus, they make you feel good. (at least I hope they do.)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Ritin! Love the idea for the radio station. Enjoy the grandkids and see you tomorrow. :) Keep up the great work.
While at the doctor's office with kiddo, I took the time to research Parents magazine, which was sitting right there. Found a couple of sections I could possibly submit to. I'm so excited that I was able to use the time wisely while kiddo and I were there. He's got a stomach virus so I'm home today. I'll have to see about getting that query done for the regional parenting mag. I'm avoiding it because I'm scared they'll accept it. I so need to stop that nonsense. :) See ya later.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
somehow, beyond all comprehension, the stars have aligned in my favor and life is going smoothly. In two days I have managed to get all five of my queries out for the month (see how well I work when hubby isn't home dragging me to town or to help him fix trucks!) Working on both essays for the anthologies and decided to enter another one that I found. Need to make the best of today. The bunchkin was off school tomorrow so that means no work for me.

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

I hope you don't mind if I post here. I'm going through a really frustrating time with my writing and would love some support. I know many of you are writing mamas, too. These days its all just kicking my butt!

Anyway, this month, I plan to:

Update either my writing or my travel blog once a week.
Send out 3 new queries.
Find new markets for 2 old queries.
Get a rough draft of the first chapter of my book.
Write 5 DS articles per week.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
@ravenlea - way to go! Keep up the great work.
@cleo - glad to have you here. You'll have no problem finding support here. The pals here are fab. As for your writing (as a writermama myself), I'd recommend you plan. Plan when, where, and how long you'll write. I work outside of the home and have a part-time online gig, plus kiddo. I write during my commute, my lunch hour and after kiddo goes to bed at 8:30. Find the gaps in your schedule and use them well. You can accomplish all of these wonderful goals by taking an account of how you use your time. Hope this helps and I know you can do it! :)
As for me, just posted the Fav Friday item at The Freshman Writer. Cleo you may want to check it out, it's what I use to keep my writing going. :) Check it out. Later dudes!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a great-aunt! My neice had a baby boy last night via Cesarean. Mom and baby are doing great.

and just to keep on track with the writing, I'm working on my eassys. Think I'm ready to send the one, not sure on the other. Plus I added another anthology. All are due at the end of the month, so I've got a little time yet.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Ravenlea, both for the new family member and for the work accomplished!
RitinRider: Good to see you; a radio job would be a good fit. Have you ever thought about doing podcasts on your own?
Wynter: Now it's a race to see whose book I'll end up buying first: yours or AmyDoodle's! And, oh yeah, I need to write something new for Army of Ermas!
SkyRaven: Great use of time at the dr's office; that's how writers get things done, LOL.
Cleo: Glad to have you aboard, good luck with those goals!

I'm tempting fate with March, because I've set several goals: I'm working on the redesign and relaunch of Wisecrack Zodiac-I'm hoping to have it up by April 1 with monthly writer's horoscopes, the long-awaited Tickled Tarot and Horoscopes That Should Have Been (For Abe Lincoln: If you're going to the theater this week, insert a real stovepipe into your hat, and wear it at all times. Not only will it save your skin, it'll spice things up in the Presidential Boudoir.) I'm thinking of the tagline: Wisecrack Zodiac--Now With More Future!

I also have lots of ideas and articles in the works: receiving both rejections and acceptances, so it looks like I'm back on track with freelancing. Yay!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Plaid-
I like the tagline...awesome! LMK if you need a hand w/ Tickled Tarot, either guest bloggers or something.

Cleo-Welcome! Look like great goals--challenging but attainable!

Wild-Yikes! You'll get it done and just think how great it will be when the checks come rolling in. :)

Raven-WTG on the queries! And congrats on the baby!!

Running off now to read Heiddi's post and then finish some editing. :)

Night all!

Dawn

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Skyraven, wow - you really have your hands full! I don't have another job other than writing and taking care of the kiddos (ages 2.5 and 7 months), and I usually have about 3 hours a day to write (not including moments where I squeeze in some scribbling on the bus while taking bigger kid to day care). I'll take a look at the Freshman Writer.

Ravenlea - Congrats on your new niece!! Nieces are fun!

Plaid - You seem in good humor. That's great about the rejections/acceptances. Yes, I'm congratulating you on the rejections too. I hate not hearing anything...

CatMuse - I'm off to look at your links...very curious about "what's holding you back from being the writer you want to be."

Have a good weekend!

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
What? It's March? But I'm not through with February. Five more days, Mom! *Amy hits snooze button*

Well you guys already have all the good goals and look like you're halfway home on most of 'em. What do I need to be doing? Hmmm

*Get post ready for Ermas so Stacey doesn't get the whip out.
*Get new posts up on Mind Over Mullis (There's a new one now as a matter of fact. Thanks much to Wyntermoon for passing the Scribbler award to my greedy welcoming hands.)
*Polish three more essays this week for an ongoing project.
*Hang out around plaidearthworm and scoop up any ideas she discards. Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that one out loud.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy. Today I got out a few queries, conducted an interview, tracked down a subject's cell phone to get around her very rude desk clerk, and did a few organizational things to keep the wheels turning. I might survive this month after all...

Plus, I just cashed a check from Reader's Digest. :D

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for you all: about how many queries do you get out a week? Its a struggle for me to get out one - and it's not just about lack of time. It takes me a full week to research an idea, find sources/experts, obtain quotes, and then write the damn thing. I'm always so surprised when I read about people mailing out several queries per week. How do they/you do it??

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Up to ten a day (that's my record) if I'm not doing anything else that day, and if I have an idea that can go out to a handful of markets at once. (Yes, I sub simultaneously. I've never had a problem with it.)

I don't always get the experts or quotes up front, though, as long as I have an idea of where to look for people who support my position.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Our own AmyDoodle has quite a JHS feather in her cap this week: she received an Honorable Mention in the Erma Bombeck writing competition! Congrats Amy!!!! Yay!!!!! Don't rest on those laurels too long, I'm still expecting to see a book from you, girl!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Wildscribe - Way to go on the goals and the check. That's one I've wanted to break into, but I'm not that funny.
Cleo - I work at my own pace. February was good because I submitted an essay, then I started off March with a query. Now, I'm looking for something else to write. I worked so hard on those two that I tuckered myself out. lol Remember to be in competition only with yourself. That way you can challenge yourself to go further in your writing. You can do it! :)
Cat - Thanks for going off to read my post. I appreciate it. Have another one up at The Freshman Writer about being overwhelmed and tips to avoid it. :) Check it out.
I'm currently journaling more - daily for the last three days so far. And this is before I go to the day job. I needed to center myself and refocus. And journaling helps get the junk out so I feel refreshed and can start my day off right. I'm thinking of writing and submitting an essay to Skirt for May (Friendships/Relationships). It's still gelling in my brain so I'm not sure when that'll be done. In the meantime, I'm still plugging away at Momslikeme.com, posted at FW and posted two articles last week at my parenting site. No goals, just accomplishments. :) Way to go everyone.