Sims 3 Bailout

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have any other Mac users been having more and more trouble with each successive update patch that gets installed on The Sims 3? With the last one, 1.9, I was getting a disk authorization error and looked through the forums to find out I'd have to disconnect any external hard drives, including any iPods I might have attached. Okay. Fine. Did so and it worked. The next time it didn't work because I'd forgotten the hard drive and a charging station for a Livescribe Pulse pen. Now, it's not working. At all. Disk authorization error even after the three peripherals have been disconnected. Finally, it's deteriorated to the point where the best advice I could find from somebody was to disconnect ALL USB peripherals, including the keyboard and printer. Way hey, it's now working for her!

And to top it off, I'd gotten the special edition with the sports car download and never could get it to show up in the game. Later, I also downloaded some of the 10th anniversary freebies and those didn't appear correctly, either. It turns out I had to "unlock" them in the game by going into Buy mode and paying the listed simoleons. The proposed solution? Uninstall everything and reinstall the game under a different admin account, then start over again with a new character.

It was easier just to uninstall everything and throw the game DVD into a forgotten corner on my desk.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this helps at all, and I haven't played this version, but I know on the older version it was possible to save the specific character files if you reinstalled the game. I did that when I went to a new computer, saved a bunch of character files and add-ons. It's a pain in the but to reinstall everything, but my guess is you could do it in such a way that you don't lose your game data. I'm just not sure how to do that with that version.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here can help, because I don't think any of us use Macs.
Try Yahoo Answers.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here can help, because I don't think any of us use Macs. Try Yahoo Answers.

Oh, I don't know. It's a big board--several thousand users, many of whom aren't complete assholes. Statistically there ought to be at least a few Mac users.

Have any other Mac users been having more and more trouble with each successive update patch that gets installed on The Sims 3? With the last one, 1.9, I was getting a disk authorization error and looked through the forums to find out I'd have to disconnect any external hard drives, including any iPods I might have attached. Okay. Fine. Did so and it worked. The next time it didn't work because I'd forgotten the hard drive and a charging station for a Livescribe Pulse pen. Now, it's not working. At all. Disk authorization error even after the three peripherals have been disconnected. Finally, it's deteriorated to the point where the best advice I could find from somebody was to disconnect ALL USB peripherals, including the keyboard and printer. Way hey, it's now working for her!

And to top it off, I'd gotten the special edition with the sports car download and never could get it to show up in the game. Later, I also downloaded some of the 10th anniversary freebies and those didn't appear correctly, either. It turns out I had to "unlock" them in the game by going into Buy mode and paying the listed simoleons. The proposed solution? Uninstall everything and reinstall the game under a different admin account, then start over again with a new character.

It was easier just to uninstall everything and throw the game DVD into a forgotten corner on my desk.

This post is specific to Mac. Looks like a lot of folks are having the same problem as you.

This post is specific to Mac, but doesn't have a lot of actual suggestions.

This post isn't specific to Mac, but it describes similar symptoms. Might be worth glancing at to see if anything (conflict with 3rd party CD burner software, maybe?) jumps out at you.

At the bottom of this thread, a guy with similar symptoms cured them with a firewall cutthrough.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this helps at all, and I haven't played this version, but I know on the older version it was possible to save the specific character files if you reinstalled the game. I did that when I went to a new computer, saved a bunch of character files and add-ons. It's a pain in the but to reinstall everything, but my guess is you could do it in such a way that you don't lose your game data. I'm just not sure how to do that with that version.
Well, considering I uninstalled it last night in my frustration from lack of help from EA, it's worth remembering if I start over... ;) ETA: I have everything backed up on Time Machine, so I can probaby restore the character and game I was playing.
This post is specific to Mac. Looks like a lot of folks are having the same problem as you.

This post is specific to Mac, but doesn't have a lot of actual suggestions.

This post isn't specific to Mac, but it describes similar symptoms. Might be worth glancing at to see if anything (conflict with 3rd party CD burner software, maybe?) jumps out at you.

At the bottom of this thread, a guy with similar symptoms cured them with a firewall cutthrough.
Thanks, shawkins. As I mentioned above, I just gave up and uninstalled the game entirely. I'll probably try some of the fixes mentioned in those threads once I've cooled down; if it still doesn't work, I have the consolation knowing I've blown more money on lesser issues.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I don't think anyone here can help, because I don't think any of us use Macs.
Try Yahoo Answers.

Speak for yourself, dude.

Ben, if I were you, I'd restore the character files, and wait for a bit. I've contacted EA via a friend who works in QA there, and they are working on a fix. There should be a patch in thirty days. Part of the problem needs to be resolved by Apple, or anything EA does will be broken in the next Apple patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Like I said, I've got the files on Time Machine, so it's just a matter of digging them out. I found some information from EA's help site, so I'll start there.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've had problems installing SimCity Societies on my PC. Everything appears to be uploading fine and then it stalls.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I had problems installing The University Expansion Pack for The Sims 2, but I think it's a little too late to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.