PDA

View Full Version : Vote for the fantasy story that is the most cliched!

Titus Raylake
08-12-2005, 12:48 PM
This is a poll I made where you can vote for the fantasy story that you've seen told the most. Please, no bashing fantasy stories though ;).

Titus Raylake
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Oops, I meant to call the thread, "Vote for the fantasy story that is the most cliched!"

I need to work on my grammar :).

MacAllister
08-12-2005, 02:28 PM
easily remedied, Titus. :)

HConn
08-12-2005, 10:58 PM
Any of these ideas could be turned into a strong, non-cliched story.

Saanen
08-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Any of these ideas could be turned into a strong, non-cliched story.

That's what I was thinking. But that's true of just about any cliche in the right hands.

veinglory
08-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Of course they can, but they cliche stems from how often they don't.

brokenfingers
08-22-2005, 03:00 PM
You forgot a couple:

The orphan who is unknowingly the last descendent of a famous hero and/or the prophecied one to save the world

The young girl who defies society's conventions and becomes a famous warrior/ruler who saves the world/nation/village.

brinkett
08-22-2005, 03:33 PM
The orphan who is unknowingly the last descendent of a famous hero and/or the prophecied one to save the world

Or a descendent of a god or something like that. This is also overdone in computer role-playing games.

Vomaxx
08-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Probably you all know this book, but Diana Jones's "Tough Guide to Fantasyland" is a wonderfully funny compendium of fantasy cliches. Buy it if you don't have it and prepare to laugh a lot.

Rabe
09-03-2005, 12:01 PM
What prevents me from voting for this category is the idea that *none* of these cliches are limited to merely fantasy. But are cliches in all genres.

So therefore, I want to vote for a fantasy specific one.

Rabe...
...being difficult!

Sharon Mock
09-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Probably you all know this book, but Diana Jones's "Tough Guide to Fantasyland" is a wonderfully funny compendium of fantasy cliches. Buy it if you don't have it and prepare to laugh a lot.

Last I checked it was out of print. And my copy's gone on walkabout. :(

preyer
09-03-2005, 01:37 PM
i read more stories on writing boards than anything else, i think. one i see popping up every now and then is the deposed spoiled princess thrown into the big bad world has to get her kingdom back. popular amongst teen girls and middle-aged men, for some reason (before you ask, no, i haven't written one).

from my experience, the grand-daddy of 'em all is the ragtag band of misfits banding together to destroy the ultimate evil in his tower of power. almost invariably a trilogy. and who do they trust with the only weapon/item that can end the terror? why, the least likely of them all, of course. this is why i quit reading fantasy altogether back in early '90's, it was just all the same. some of the dragonlance books were pretty good, though.