Vote for the fantasy story that is the most cliched!

What fantasy story is the most cliched?

• Teenage boy finds out he has magical powers.

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • A farm boy learns of an old wizard.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • People from different races (such as elves and dwarves) fall in love.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • A warrior falls in love with the antagonist's daughter.

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This is a poll I made where you can vote for the fantasy story that you've seen told the most. Please, no bashing fantasy stories though ;).

Last edited:

Titus Raylake

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oops, I meant to call the thread, "Vote for the fantasy story that is the most cliched!"

I need to work on my grammar :).

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
HConn said:
Any of these ideas could be turned into a strong, non-cliched story.

That's what I was thinking. But that's true of just about any cliche in the right hands.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot a couple:

The orphan who is unknowingly the last descendent of a famous hero and/or the prophecied one to save the world

The young girl who defies society's conventions and becomes a famous warrior/ruler who saves the world/nation/village.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
brokenfingers said:
The orphan who is unknowingly the last descendent of a famous hero and/or the prophecied one to save the world
Or a descendent of a god or something like that. This is also overdone in computer role-playing games.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
Probably you all know this book, but Diana Jones's "Tough Guide to Fantasyland" is a wonderfully funny compendium of fantasy cliches. Buy it if you don't have it and prepare to laugh a lot.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
What prevents me from voting for this category is the idea that *none* of these cliches are limited to merely fantasy. But are cliches in all genres.

So therefore, I want to vote for a fantasy specific one.

Rabe...
...being difficult!

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
Vomaxx said:
Probably you all know this book, but Diana Jones's "Tough Guide to Fantasyland" is a wonderfully funny compendium of fantasy cliches. Buy it if you don't have it and prepare to laugh a lot.

Last I checked it was out of print. And my copy's gone on walkabout. :(

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
i read more stories on writing boards than anything else, i think. one i see popping up every now and then is the deposed spoiled princess thrown into the big bad world has to get her kingdom back. popular amongst teen girls and middle-aged men, for some reason (before you ask, no, i haven't written one).

from my experience, the grand-daddy of 'em all is the ragtag band of misfits banding together to destroy the ultimate evil in his tower of power. almost invariably a trilogy. and who do they trust with the only weapon/item that can end the terror? why, the least likely of them all, of course. this is why i quit reading fantasy altogether back in early '90's, it was just all the same. some of the dragonlance books were pretty good, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.