PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else love new peanut butter?

LOG
03-01-2010, 06:37 AM
I don't know, but I just adore the smoothness of a newly opened jar of peanut butter, it's almost like sacrilege for me to destroy it...

Gotta love gravity.

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Mmmm....creamy peanut butter....

I love a fresh jar of Skippy, but the Girl loves Jiff the heretic she is.

Gugland
03-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I love the *pank* sound of breaking the seal on a new jar. After that, you kinda get to know the jar...it becomes predictable...and eventually boring. The second time I dip my butterknife in it, it just seems like an old hat.

Maybe it's the bachelor in me, but the "pank-peel-dip-spread-ahhhhh" feeling is what I'm after. Which is probably why I have 8 jars of PB in my cupboard.

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 06:57 AM
I love the *pank* sound of breaking the seal on a new jar. After that, you kinda get to know the jar...it becomes predictable...and eventually boring. The second time I dip my butterknife in it, it just seems like an old hat.

Sounds like most of my relationships. *rimshot*

Maybe it's the bachelor in me, but the "pank-peel-dip-spread-ahhhhh" feeling is what I'm after. Which is probably why I have 8 jars of PB in my cupboard.

Me too. :D

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Boy am I ever glad that this came up! I have almost as many opinions about this as I do pickles.

I like crunchy peanut butter, actually, over creamy. I mean, instead of--not over as in "on top" of. Also, what is with the tall skinny jars!? Even the bulk kind you get at Sam's or wherever is deeper than it is wide--a big mistake. I don't like getting in on my hands unless I'm eating it with celery or apples, so getting it all over the tips of my fingers and knuckles whilst I'm scooping it from the jar is enough to make me pick another snack.

There. I said it.

*lights cigarette*
(Just kidding, I don't smoke...but if I did....)

poetinahat
03-01-2010, 07:06 AM
*pank*

That's beautiful.

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Boy am I ever glad that this came up! I have almost as many opinions about this as I do pickles.

I like crunchy peanut butter, actually, over creamy. I mean, instead of--not over as in "on top" of. Also, what is with the tall skinny jars!? Even the bulk kind you get at Sam's or wherever is deeper than it is wide--a big mistake. I don't like getting in on my hands unless I'm eating it with celery or apples, so getting it all over the tips of my fingers and knuckles whilst I'm scooping it from the jar is enough to make me pick another snack.

There. I said it.

*lights cigarette*

Blasphemy!

LOG
03-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I have no idea what you just said Cella...put it in layman for me.

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Blasphemy!
Intolerant!

I have no idea what you just said Cella...put it in layman for me.
crunchy peanut butter...you know--where some of the peanuts aren't all the way "buttered"

???

right?

guys?!

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Intolerant!

Yes, I'm intolerant of crap.

crunchy peanut butter...you know--where some of the peanuts aren't all the way "buttered"

???

right?

guys?!

You're the only one who likes that crap. :D

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:16 AM
UGH!

*flounces*

*unflounces*

That's the last time I open up about ANYTHING to you bunch!

*flounces*

Fenika
03-01-2010, 07:17 AM
I love it new, old, on celery, on apples, in granola, and apparently recently expired is just fine too :D

I prefer crunchy over creamy.

However, I have become a PB snob and only enjoy nearly pure organic brands. Don't give me that filler crap. I want peanuts.

Fenika
03-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Don't worry Cella, we always have each other.

There's a brand that's kept with the organics/all naturals that comes in a squat jar. You should check it out.

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 07:19 AM
UGH!

*flounces*

*unflounces*

That's the last time I open up about ANYTHING to you bunch!

*flounces*

Aw, I'm sorry. You know we love you. :)

I love it new, old, on celery, on apples, in granola, and apparently recently expired is just fine too :D

However, I have become a PB snob and only enjoy nearly pure organic brands. Don't give me that filler crap. I want peanuts.

You can open a thread with Cella for that crunchy crap.

Do you like Extreme Peanut Butter? It's just a jar of peanuts.

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:24 AM

There's a brand that's kept with the organics/all naturals that comes in a squat jar. You should check it out.
:fistpump

Aw, I'm sorry. You know we love you. :)
and I, you.

(pssst....it wasn't a real flounce anyway! LoL!)

Do you like Extreme Peanut Butter? It's just a jar of peanuts.
I'm laughing on the inside...

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Blasphemy!

I agree.

Creamy peanut butter rocks. Why, I just had some about an hour ago.

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Pffft!

*Puts RG on DO NOT INVITE TO SUPER-SECRET-AWESOME-CLUB list*

Silver King
03-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Here's a little something LOG might appreciate: when making bean soup, slip in about one half to a full teaspoon of smooth peanut butter to the pot and let simmer for a few minutes before serving. Even tomato based soups will be enhanced by the flavor; and your guests will wonder, yet never be able to replicate, how you managed to make the soup taste so damn good. :)

jennontheisland
03-01-2010, 07:49 AM
With anything else, I'm all for all natural, organics, etc, but I love Kraft peanut butter. The one with the teddy bears on the front. I'm sure it's the great gobs oh hydrogenated fats that give it its texture, but I just can't bring myself to care.

I think I'll go eat a big spoonful actually.

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:49 AM
I'm impressed, SK!

Very neat, indeed!

Silver King
03-01-2010, 07:59 AM
It works to enhance the flavor beyond what you'd expect, yet doesn't make the broth taste like peanut butter at all.

Picked that one up from a Kenyan recipe I read about some time ago, and expanded it to all of the bean soups I make these days. :)

kayleamay
03-01-2010, 08:00 AM

Rookie, everyone knows that peanut butter should only be eaten with a ladel.

I like crunchy peanut butter, actually, over creamy. I mean, instead of--not over as in "on top" of. Also, what is with the tall skinny jars!? Even the bulk kind .....yackaty, yackaty, yack.

Get a room.

JIF creamy spread on pancakes. Yum.

(SK, I'm going to try that with the soup. Sounds pretty good.)

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:03 AM
It works to enhance the flavor beyond what you'd expect, yet doesn't make the broth taste like peanut butter at all.

Picked that one up from a Kenyan recipe I read about some time ago, and expanded it to all of the bean soups I make these days. :)
does it have to be bean soup, though? what if I put it in tomato soup?

oh and KM :wag:

Gugland
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM

Really? I am interested in this. Please send url & pass.

Also, what is with the tall skinny jars!?

Simple...the skinnier the jar, the tighter the seal, therefore, the louder the *pank* I dunno, maybe it's a guy thing.

I don't like getting in on my hands unless I'm eating it with celery or apples,

That's what she said. Seriously though, you clearly don't understand PB.

*lights cigarette*
(Just kidding, I don't smoke...but if I did....)

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Really? I am interested in this. Please send url & pass.
as you wish, Good Sir... Linky (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4661818&postcount=4608)

Simple...the skinnier the jar, the tighter the seal, therefore, the louder the *pank* I dunno, maybe it's a guy thing.
funny...I thought most guys were more visual? hmmm...

That's what she said. Seriously though, you clearly don't understand PB.
au contraire... I just know what I like ;)

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 08:13 AM

Bean soup? Yuck!

Silver King
03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
does it have to be bean soup, though? what if I put it in tomato soup?
I've used it in tomato based soups, but never in a strictly tomato soup. I'd still try it, though, and see what you think. (Maybe on a smaller scale, say about one quarter or third of a teaspoon to start.)

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
*thumbs up*

Fenika
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM
With anything else, I'm all for all natural, organics, etc, but I love Kraft peanut butter. The one with the teddy bears on the front. I'm sure it's the great gobs oh hydrogenated fats that give it its texture, but I just can't bring myself to care.

I think I'll go eat a big spoonful actually.

*gags a little* I'm sure there's added sugar too. Honestly, why does PB need sugar? Other than, you know, Americans like to kill themselves with it (speaking as one who somewhat did for years).

Come to the light side. I'm sure you'll find something better than Kraft. Just walk to the specialty aisle and look at all those all natural/organic choices. You're there anyways and the environment will :heart: you more :D

Dang, now I want PB, and I already had a PB-banana smoothie (NO added sugar ;) ) and a PB granola bar (homemade, and yes to added sugar. Honey anyways. And applesauce and raisins), AND scooped at the bottom of the jar of PB till it bled. Mmm, Peanut Butter.

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 08:20 AM
When I was a kid I loved Peter Pan Peanut Butter.

Now I buy whatever kind is cheap.

kayleamay
03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Does anyone else remember Googly Eyes Peanut Butter? I don't think they make it anymore.

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Nope.

I must say peanut butter has really gone up in price. I can barely afford it anymore.

jennontheisland
03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
*gags a little* I'm sure there's added sugar too. Honestly, why does PB need sugar? Other than, you know, Americans like to kill themselves with it (speaking as one who somewhat did for years).

Come to the light side. I'm sure you'll find something better than Kraft. Just walk to the specialty aisle and look at all those all natural/organic choices. You're there anyways and the environment will :heart: you more :D

Dang, now I want PB, and I already had a PB-banana smoothie (NO added sugar ;) ) and a PB granola bar (homemade, and yes to added sugar. Honey anyways. And applesauce and raisins), AND scooped at the bottom of the jar of PB till it bled. Mmm, Peanut Butter.

Not a chance lady. You find me one of those all natural PBs that isn't grainy, and doesn't have to be stirred for 20 minutes before I can put it on toast, and I'll try it. Maybe.

I've got a wicked cool recipe for PB and banana muffins. There's sugar in it though, so I'm sure you wouldn't be interested. :tongue

(I just ate close to half a cup of PB with a spoon.)

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Does anyone else remember Googly Eyes Peanut Butter? I don't think they make it anymore.
HUH! KM! even though I stuck my tongue out at you earlier, I'd still let you post this in my "What do you remember" thread....

(Please post in my thread...pretty please?)

kayleamay
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koogle

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eVsEXMhjaRI/SChNG6uWE7I/AAAAAAAAAk4/6KVE0NeJ8Fs/s320/Chocolate_Koogle_Jar.jpg

Fenika
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Take a look at the price of Almond Butter. Talk about sticker shock. (I occasionally splurge on AB when it's on sale, otherwise I can't afford it).

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:32 AM
this is getting weird...

Fenika
03-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Not a chance lady. You find me one of those all natural PBs that isn't grainy, and doesn't have to be stirred for 20 minutes before I can put it on toast, and I'll try it. Maybe.

I've got a wicked cool recipe for PB and banana muffins. There's sugar in it though, so I'm sure you wouldn't be interested. :tongue

(I just ate close to half a cup of PB with a spoon.)

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=172832&prrfnbr=950037

I buy this on sale AND in bulk (thus the expired PB in my house). I can pull it out of the fridge and it still spreads well for cold PB. Most stores carry this brand, that I've seen.

Sugar can always be cut (down)! It's switching it from flour to gluten free that's the problem. (Why yes, I do have food intolerances AND reflexive hypoglycemia. Joy.)

And I'm not totally against sugar, I just don't think it has any business in basic foods since I can't flipping remove it and my sweet tooth is far more sensitive than it used to be. You know how many quality yogurts have added cane sugar, or worse, corn syrup? The bastards!

(otoh, if a company adds corn syrup, they aren't fitting under my definition of quality)

Fenika
03-01-2010, 08:38 AM
this is getting weird...

I bet you say that every time someone posts a jar with eyes on it. :tongue

Btw, ever take a good look at the cake emoticon?

/derail

Gugland
03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Just to clarify....I checked, and I don't have eight jars of open PB in the cupboard. I have six.

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Just to clarify....I checked, and I don't have eight jars of open PB in the cupboard. I have six.
weirder by the minute....

slcboston
03-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Btw, ever take a good look at the cake emoticon?

/derail

:Cake: <-- is creepy and evil

Cella
03-01-2010, 08:54 AM
well, as it turns out...it's my bedtime.

:(

night, PB lurvers....:hi:

Gugland
03-01-2010, 09:19 AM
'night

EFCollins
03-01-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to just say...

Some creamy Jiff and marshmallow cream on waffles is the frigging best. Nothing like it in the world.

(Just so y'all know, I eat marshmallow cream on a lot of stuff. And a lot more with the marshmallow cream/peanut butter combination. Oh man, but waffles is the tops. It's my super secret obsession, marshmallow cream. I love it. It's excellent on unsalted/unbuttered popcorn.)

backslashbaby
03-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Peanut butter on fudge brownie ice cream = MMMMmmmmmm.

I can't keep PB in the house. I eat it too fast. No PB, nuts, Nutella, or bags of chocolate of any sort :)

jennontheisland
03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
You just have to buy the Costco pack of Nutella. 2 double sized jars. :D

Gugland
03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to just say...

Some creamy Jiff and marshmallow cream on waffles is the frigging best. Nothing like it in the world.

(Just so y'all know, I eat marshmallow cream on a lot of stuff. And a lot more with the marshmallow cream/peanut butter combination. Oh man, but waffles is the tops. It's my super secret obsession, marshmallow cream. I love it. It's excellent on unsalted/unbuttered popcorn.)

With all due respect....Eww!

I mean, I LOVE peanut butter on waffles. But marshmallow cream? *shudders*

I had a stepsister who put mayo in her pork 'n beans...your name wouldn't be Marlene, would it?

Bubastes
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
You just have to buy the Costco pack of Nutella. 2 double sized jars. :D

Gimme that and a spoon and I'm all set for the day.

On the PB front, I love Trader Joe's creamy PB. It's all peanuts (no added sugar or weird stuff) and perfectly smooth. It even spreads well right out of the fridge. Can't ask for more than that.

LOG
03-01-2010, 06:13 PM
this is getting weird...
It's a thread about the paste made from ground roasted peanuts, what do you expect?

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:10 PM
It's a thread about the paste made from ground roasted peanuts, what do you expect?
I expected to have at least one other person admit to liking the nuts! :D

kaitie
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Egads I went looking for crunchy peanut butter today and couldn't find any. Found some Nutella instead, but the problem with that is I'll eat it all! From the jar!

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Okay, I made it my avatar. I'm a peanut butteraholic. I've tried 12 step programs but they don't work.

lucidzfl
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Ugh, organic peanut butter? Gross.

I want good old fashioned, natural, artificially enhanced preserved peanutbutter damnit!

Also, I never hear the *pank* sound. My wife does all the shopping so I never open the new jars.

Bubastes
03-01-2010, 10:17 PM
Funny how people are referring to the sound as "pank." It sounds more like a "thwock" to me.

jennontheisland
03-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Egads I went looking for crunchy peanut butter today and couldn't find any. Found some Nutella instead, but the problem with that is I'll eat it all! From the jar!
Am I the only one who's contemplated crunchy nutella? Little bits of crushed hazelnuts.... mmm...

Bubastes
03-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Oh no, you're not the only one. Crunchy Nutella would be the death of me.

Lavern08
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
* Jif (smooth - not that crunchy junk)

* Smucker's Grape Jam (not jelly)

* Wonder Bread (white, not that healthy wheat)

= The Perfect Sammich ;)

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Funny how people are referring to the sound as "pank." It sounds more like a "thwock" to me.

Yes, I'd say thwock is about right.

(I've opened many a jar of pb)

jennontheisland
03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
this thread is inspirational

LOG
03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
I use to like PB and grape jelly.
The jelly was always a little too sweet and thick for me though.
Thankfully I found a better sandwich; creamy peanut butter with honey on white bread.
Once, I actually wrote over 300 words on a PB and honey sandwich for my Media writing class, without using any visual description. I surprised myself with that.