The Ghost Writer (movie)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen The Ghost Writer? The concept and the previews make it sound interesting, and I've heard some great reviews on it (the guys on At the Movies gave it "two big thumbs up"). It's one of the few movies on my "must go see" list.

Does anyone know why it's titled "Ghost Writer" rather than Ghostwriter? Is that the typical spelling of ghostwriter in the UK, or maybe it's some kind of play on words?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember a show on PBS called Ghostwriter. It was about kids learning to spell.

How I admired their handwriting...

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
^Like the freaking best show ever.

ghost-writer-01.jpg

And then there was this guy who was scared me out of my wits:
b50052241.jpg

Sorry for the derail. Couldn't resist the nostalgia invasion.

I doubt I could see this movie without making frequent joke references to the above-mentioned TV show...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The book it's based on is called The Ghost, so I'm guessing the title spelling is a play on words.

When I first saw this trailer, I was vaguely interested, but then I realized it was Roman Polanski. Normally I separate people's personal lives with their work, but I don't really see the need to give this guy any of my money.

It's nice to see Ewan McGregor doing something again, though.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did a little more research. In the UK, it's The Ghost. In the US they are publishing it as The Ghost Writer (probably because of the movie tie-in).

Apparently the book is very political, taking quite a jab at Tony Blair.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
I read the book by Robert Harris and liked it very much, so I am looking forward to the movie. Nicolas Cage was the original choice to play the MC, but I couldn't see him in the part of a British reporter, so I'm glad they changed it to Ewan McGregor.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The preview looks good -- a political thriller with a literary tilt to it. I like Ewan McGregor (he also played a writer/journalist in The Men Who Stared at Goats).

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I watched this movie last night. On the DVD it's called The Ghost, but on the film itself it's The Ghost Writer.
It's very good in spite of multiple plot holes. There's a spoiler I'd like to ask someone about so if anyone else has seen it please raise your hand!

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, me, too! I saw it fairly recently and pondered it a bit.

I didn't know it was Polanski's until I watched the special features on the DVD, darnit. But I love Ewan, so at least I get to support him.

I googled the wonderful actress who played the PM's wife after watching, and I found out that she's friends with an old friend of mine! And that my friend is married (for years) to an actor in the Royal Theatre, all 3 of them pals. So bizarre! :D