Overseas mag publishes one of my stories without permission

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is in the right place for this.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice. A freely distributed overseas magazine published an old short story of mine that was available in a PDF mag a couple of years ago. They had no permission to do so, and nobody even bothered to inform me. A friend came across the online version of their mag recently, emailed me with the link and there is was, bold as brass.

Obviously I'm going to contact the people involved, but where do I stand legally? Anybody know?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Unless you can afford to hire a lawyer overseas, I do not see what your options are if they do not retract the story once you contact them. The fact that it has already been printed and is available on line can not undo any damages done, if any damage is done.

This may have to do with orphan copyright law in Europe. If they made a minimal attempt to locate the author, then they can claim orphaned, or something like that and use the work. This does not free them from liability though, only restricts damages, as I understand it...

Interested in what others think and suggest...

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Never heard of Orphan copyright law until you mentioned it.
You're right, though- not much I can do because it's already been printed. Can't undo that.

I'm not the only one. A quick look through their back catalog reveals lots of other short stories by various authors. I suspect permission wasn't given for those stories either. I wonder how many of the authors know.

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
You can just contact them and ask them to remove it. You never know, they might do it. Sure, its already been there and cached, but its a start.

Rivana

Walks in the shades.
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rivanacreations.com
I'm no expert, but here's my nickle anyway.

Orphan Copyright Law is a US thing, not European.

Technically they had no right to use your work. In reality it may be hard to do anything about it. It's always hard as an individual to act against people in a different country.

Option 1: Contact them and tell them to remove your work immediately or you will take legal action.

Option 2: Send them an invoice. Name your typical price for re-printing and give a 'pay-by-latest' date. If it looks official you may just get lucky enough that they pay without too much trouble. If they don't pay the first one, send a second notice warning that failure to pay will be prosecuted. If they don't pay, send a typical final notice. If they still don't pay you can either ignore the whole event or contact the proper authorities in that country.

As for the legal: You will have to be able to prove that you wrote the thing. A copy of the original print would be a nice start. They may still get away with it by claiming fair use and non-monetary gain though, so you best keep that in mind. It will be especially hard for you probably since the work has already featured online and probably spread a bunch of times, not just one.

In conclusion: Contact them with either a letter or an invoice depending on how pissed and gutsy you are. Threaten with legal action, but for the sake of your own sanity - don't follow through.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the popularity of the magazine, I would suppose you can add this to a list of publishing credits...

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
What a cheek! I'd send them an invoice...and inflate it two-fold. Actually, whose name do they have as author. Have they even put you as author?

Yep they printed my byline with the story. The magazine is freely distributed, so Rivana makes a good point about the non-monetary gain issue.

I dunno, I'm in half a mind. I'm gonna have to think long and hard about this one before I make a move. Cautious, as always. :)

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This happened to me a year ago, but within the country. I did a search of my name and came upon an article I had written and had been paid for by another magazine. This second magazine did put my byline, but never asked permission nor paid me. I found their contact info and called them (Emails work, too.). They not only removed the article, but asked me for an invoice and paid me for second serial (reprint) rights.

You have nothing to lose but a lot to gain by contacting them.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Why not contact those other authors that you noticed throughout said magazine? As you stated, they too may not be aware their work is being used. Enough of you gathered might send this magazine a wake-up call. Most authors have an email or website. Simply attach the link to said magazine with a short blurb regarding how your work was used w/o permission/payment and are they too a victim?

The flipside is, add it to your publishing credentials and move on.

Rebekah7

Unofficial Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you should contact the online magazine that published it first and ask them to contact the overseas magazine as well.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I would send an invoice along with a letter explaining that you did not give permission for publication, and wish to know how they acquired your piece. Good luck.