What's the Worst Thing You've Gotten Away With?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So I just heard on the radio that some pro coaches interviewing potential draft prospects ask this question in interviews, which I find fascinating. And I just wanted to float it. I don't exactly expect a lot of sharing, I just think it's a really interesting question.

I know I've done some lousy stuff in my day, but I'm astonishingly bad at getting away with anything, so I'm really racking my brain to come up with something. My worst thing that I may be getting away with is probably still in progress right now...

Anyone else?

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
drinking straight out of the milk jug....oh, wait, I didn't get away with that

Seams

○
Registered
Reaction score
i never got away with it because i remember it each day.

interesting question though

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
One time, speeding on an Interstate, I came over a small overpass and there was a Kentuky cop in the median using his radar. We kind of looked astonished at each other as I flew by him. Me for being surprised at seeing him there and him probably because he couldn't believe someone was speeding by him like that.

I knew I was caught and he turned on the blues, did a u-turn in the median to face the right way, and waited for an opening in the traffic to pull out onto the highway. He was at the base of the small bridge so couldn't see past it and cars were flying over. Since the road had a slight uphill grade, I was able to look in the rearview and see that the line of cars comming up to that little bridge was solid for as far back as I could see. At least a mile. I hit the gas and laughed for the next fifteen miles.

Richard

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
In High School, a traffic cop yelled at us for throwing napkins out of the window (I agree - my friend did it). But she wanted me and my friend to pull over and pick up all of the trash at that intersection. It was a dangerous intersection. We were late for class. She should have given me a ticket.

So we just drove off to class. I guess she agreed, cos nothing came of it. She was really mad in my rearview mirror, though :D

PS - that's not the worst, technically, but I'm not going there ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Monopoly money. I thought it was the real thing.

Pesky bank, it tricked me!

They made me stick to driving the getaway car after that. :(

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Not the worst by far, but I was sleep deprived, angry, and a little confused driving to drop my son off a couple of weeks back, and I realized I had forgotten something essential. I was stopped at a red left turn light, and decided to just run it since no one else was going. That's running a red light, making a U-turn at a no u-turn sign, with earbuds in my ears. Three moving violations.

I looked out my window as I drove away, and made eye contact with the cop that I hadn't realized had been stopped right next to me. He mouthed the words "what the fuck" as I drove off. I fully expected to see the blues in the rearview within 5 seconds, but apparently he had a more important call. It did make me decide to calm down and stop being such an idiot, though.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Maryn, in a confessional mood

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I once cheated to win a game of pool against my husband :tongue Only time I ever beat him.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I got away with an awful lot of hitchhiking. Never got raped or murdered; always got picked up by nice people, who usually gave me a lecture about the dangers of hitching.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I had a '72 camaro in high school. It was a great car. Amazing I didn't kill myself with it.
Since high school was fifty miles from home, I found myself late a lot. The first twenty was winding gravel road, so I would try to make up time once I hit the black top highway.

One morning I popped over a hill and a highway patrolman was coming the other way. I was sure I was nailed, but he just gave me a look and shook his finger, while mouthing the words, "slow down".

That's all I will admit to. :tongue

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Towards the end of my senior year of high school, I got a little gutsy. I snuck into the auditorium during class with a couple of other students, which was a no-no by itself, but then we used a ladder to climb to the light panel area and then climbed up a locked-off ladder from there to the catwalk. That was a big no-no. We did get caught by the tech guy, but we climbed down and ran like heck when he went to get the principal.

This was about a week before graduation, and I had never done anything this risky in my school career, so I was freaked that we weren't going to walk or something. But I went to school the next day...and never heard anything about it. Phew.

Also, during choir tour, a few of us snuck out of hotel room and walked a couple blocks to a Seven Eleven at night. Leaving the hotel rooms after curfew themselves was expressly forbidden by the rules we had agreed to follow by coming, but...that didn't stop us. Still nothing compared to a couple of years earlier in New York City when a few kids took a cab around the city in the middle of the night.

Yup. That's about it. I'm sure not very edgy.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
When I was about 7 I 'borrowed' paste from a five 'n dime. I felt so guilty I made my mother bring it back and I stayed home with my sister. lol.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
When I was about 17, I was having an overly emotional teenage angst moment (a breakup, if I recall), and was doing some therapeutic crying n driving...doing the latter a wee bit faster than the law allows. When the cop pulled me over, he took one look at me and said, "If you think crying is going to get you out of this ticket, you've got another thing coming." I went from tears to bitch mode so fast your head would've spun. I flipped. The fuck. Out.

The cop stepped back, eyes wide, and said, "You know, we'll just call this a warning and I'll let you be on your way." :D

Another time, I was speeding on an interstate in Virginia. It was late at night, I was in the passing lane, and there were a few cars in the right lane. I went blazing past the cop's little hidey-hole, and I knew I was busted even before he turned on his lights. I was probably doing 15 or 20 over, knowing me.

However, he still had to pull out onto the interstate and get up to speed. He turned, put on his lights, and went screaming down the passing lane...right past the little blue Toyota that had discreetly fallen into ranks with the cars in the right lane.

:D

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lied about my weight on my driver's license.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I painstakingly researched, referenced, and footnoted a particular mental disorder. Then I practiced and roll-played for the moment I knew was coming. Once I got my new therapist, it took six months, but I managed to convince him that he was brilliant and that I was fine. :D

Scoody

Banned
Reaction score
The statute of limitations has not expired on it yet so I can't really discuss it.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
I never get away with anything. And even if I did, I'd probably confess eventually to clear my conscience.

It's not that I want to be honest to a fault. It's mainly that I don't have a very long memory for keeping untruths straight, AND on top of that, I just never really mastered that whole "knowing when it's best to keep your mouth shut about certain things" talent that other people seem to have.

In short: I suck at lying.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was about 6-7ish I took a handful of bulk dog food out of a bin at the grocery store and put it in my pocket.

It won't surprise anyone that this is a really lame story.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was about 6-7ish I took a handful of bulk dog food out of a bin at the grocery store and put it in my pocket.

It won't surprise anyone that this is a really lame story.
Ah, ha! I knew I'd seen your face on a poster in the Post Office.

Paper & Pencil

I miss the pink elephant...
Registered
Reaction score
I spent like four months working the 3am-8am shift at a store, which involved me walking at 2am from the apartment complex, down the street where people tend to drive through red lights at that hour, and over a dark bridge overtop some rather cold water...and never once got harassed by anyone.
I walked around a VERY bad neighborhood where gunshots were going off every night. It was around 2am I think, and I'm walking all around the neighborhood looking for my little sister...could'a had a lot more happen than just getting shot.

Erm...After band practice every day, and especially after parades on Saturdays I would go hang out at my boyfriend's house while his parents weren't around, then go home late and give the excuse that the first few buses didn't show up, or we had to stay late.

Oh yeah, livin' on the edge, baby :p

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Disclaimer: All of this stuff was either before or during high school. I have not knowingly broken the law (except for going 5-10 over the speed limit on highways) since high school.

I'm not sure the statute of limitations is up on some of the stuff I've done in my youth, but here goes anyway:

"Borrowed" the same car twice
Stole over $250 in books from B&N and Borders
Walked out with probably $50-75 in food from various convenience stores
Evaded police several times to avoid tickets
"Borrowed" probably a total of $1 000 from a bank I worked at (I actually did return all of it and was never caught)

There are less terrible things as well. Needless to say, I am quite reformed and would not even dream of doing such things now. You can pick which one is the worst.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yeah, but you didn't steal any dog food, so....