PDA

View Full Version : What's the Worst Thing You've Gotten Away With?

Jcomp
02-28-2010, 09:18 PM
So I just heard on the radio that some pro coaches interviewing potential draft prospects ask this question in interviews, which I find fascinating. And I just wanted to float it. I don't exactly expect a lot of sharing, I just think it's a really interesting question.

I know I've done some lousy stuff in my day, but I'm astonishingly bad at getting away with anything, so I'm really racking my brain to come up with something. My worst thing that I may be getting away with is probably still in progress right now...

Anyone else?

jvc
02-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to ...

err, nevermind, said to much. :gone:

L.J.
02-28-2010, 10:18 PM
drinking straight out of the milk jug....oh, wait, I didn't get away with that

Seams
02-28-2010, 10:29 PM
i never got away with it because i remember it each day.

interesting question though

Seaclusion
02-28-2010, 10:31 PM
One time, speeding on an Interstate, I came over a small overpass and there was a Kentuky cop in the median using his radar. We kind of looked astonished at each other as I flew by him. Me for being surprised at seeing him there and him probably because he couldn't believe someone was speeding by him like that.

I knew I was caught and he turned on the blues, did a u-turn in the median to face the right way, and waited for an opening in the traffic to pull out onto the highway. He was at the base of the small bridge so couldn't see past it and cars were flying over. Since the road had a slight uphill grade, I was able to look in the rearview and see that the line of cars comming up to that little bridge was solid for as far back as I could see. At least a mile. I hit the gas and laughed for the next fifteen miles.

Richard

backslashbaby
02-28-2010, 10:57 PM
In High School, a traffic cop yelled at us for throwing napkins out of the window (I agree - my friend did it). But she wanted me and my friend to pull over and pick up all of the trash at that intersection. It was a dangerous intersection. We were late for class. She should have given me a ticket.

So we just drove off to class. I guess she agreed, cos nothing came of it. She was really mad in my rearview mirror, though :D

PS - that's not the worst, technically, but I'm not going there ;)

aadams73
02-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Monopoly money. I thought it was the real thing.

Pesky bank, it tricked me!

They made me stick to driving the getaway car after that. :(

WildScribe
02-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Not the worst by far, but I was sleep deprived, angry, and a little confused driving to drop my son off a couple of weeks back, and I realized I had forgotten something essential. I was stopped at a red left turn light, and decided to just run it since no one else was going. That's running a red light, making a U-turn at a no u-turn sign, with earbuds in my ears. Three moving violations.

I looked out my window as I drove away, and made eye contact with the cop that I hadn't realized had been stopped right next to me. He mouthed the words "what the fuck" as I drove off. I fully expected to see the blues in the rearview within 5 seconds, but apparently he had a more important call. It did make me decide to calm down and stop being such an idiot, though.

Maryn
02-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Maryn, in a confessional mood

sheadakota
02-28-2010, 11:20 PM
I once cheated to win a game of pool against my husband :tongue Only time I ever beat him.

EFCollins
03-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Some of y'all would have a heart attack if I told even half of the stuff I've gotten away with.

dolores haze
03-01-2010, 02:37 AM
I got away with an awful lot of hitchhiking. Never got raped or murdered; always got picked up by nice people, who usually gave me a lecture about the dangers of hitching.

Wicked
03-01-2010, 02:52 AM
I had a '72 camaro in high school. It was a great car. Amazing I didn't kill myself with it.
Since high school was fifty miles from home, I found myself late a lot. The first twenty was winding gravel road, so I would try to make up time once I hit the black top highway.

One morning I popped over a hill and a highway patrolman was coming the other way. I was sure I was nailed, but he just gave me a look and shook his finger, while mouthing the words, "slow down".

That's all I will admit to. :tongue

Wavy_Blue
03-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Towards the end of my senior year of high school, I got a little gutsy. I snuck into the auditorium during class with a couple of other students, which was a no-no by itself, but then we used a ladder to climb to the light panel area and then climbed up a locked-off ladder from there to the catwalk. That was a big no-no. We did get caught by the tech guy, but we climbed down and ran like heck when he went to get the principal.

This was about a week before graduation, and I had never done anything this risky in my school career, so I was freaked that we weren't going to walk or something. But I went to school the next day...and never heard anything about it. Phew.

Also, during choir tour, a few of us snuck out of hotel room and walked a couple blocks to a Seven Eleven at night. Leaving the hotel rooms after curfew themselves was expressly forbidden by the rules we had agreed to follow by coming, but...that didn't stop us. Still nothing compared to a couple of years earlier in New York City when a few kids took a cab around the city in the middle of the night.

Yup. That's about it. I'm sure not very edgy.

Susie
03-01-2010, 03:28 AM
When I was about 7 I 'borrowed' paste from a five 'n dime. I felt so guilty I made my mother bring it back and I stayed home with my sister. lol.

thethinker42
03-01-2010, 03:50 AM
When I was about 17, I was having an overly emotional teenage angst moment (a breakup, if I recall), and was doing some therapeutic crying n driving...doing the latter a wee bit faster than the law allows. When the cop pulled me over, he took one look at me and said, "If you think crying is going to get you out of this ticket, you've got another thing coming." I went from tears to bitch mode so fast your head would've spun. I flipped. The fuck. Out.

The cop stepped back, eyes wide, and said, "You know, we'll just call this a warning and I'll let you be on your way." :D

Another time, I was speeding on an interstate in Virginia. It was late at night, I was in the passing lane, and there were a few cars in the right lane. I went blazing past the cop's little hidey-hole, and I knew I was busted even before he turned on his lights. I was probably doing 15 or 20 over, knowing me.

However, he still had to pull out onto the interstate and get up to speed. He turned, put on his lights, and went screaming down the passing lane...right past the little blue Toyota that had discreetly fallen into ranks with the cars in the right lane.

:D

rhymegirl
03-01-2010, 03:53 AM
I lied about my weight on my driver's license.

KellyAssauer
03-01-2010, 04:15 AM
I painstakingly researched, referenced, and footnoted a particular mental disorder. Then I practiced and roll-played for the moment I knew was coming. Once I got my new therapist, it took six months, but I managed to convince him that he was brilliant and that I was fine. :D

Scoody
03-01-2010, 04:22 AM
The statute of limitations has not expired on it yet so I can't really discuss it.

ad_lucem
03-01-2010, 04:35 AM
I never get away with anything. And even if I did, I'd probably confess eventually to clear my conscience.

It's not that I want to be honest to a fault. It's mainly that I don't have a very long memory for keeping untruths straight, AND on top of that, I just never really mastered that whole "knowing when it's best to keep your mouth shut about certain things" talent that other people seem to have.

In short: I suck at lying.

Cella
03-01-2010, 04:37 AM
When I was about 6-7ish I took a handful of bulk dog food out of a bin at the grocery store and put it in my pocket.

It won't surprise anyone that this is a really lame story.

alleycat
03-01-2010, 04:39 AM
When I was about 6-7ish I took a handful of bulk dog food out of a bin at the grocery store and put it in my pocket.

Ah, ha! I knew I'd seen your face on a poster in the Post Office.

Paper & Pencil
03-01-2010, 06:20 AM
I spent like four months working the 3am-8am shift at a store, which involved me walking at 2am from the apartment complex, down the street where people tend to drive through red lights at that hour, and over a dark bridge overtop some rather cold water...and never once got harassed by anyone.
I walked around a VERY bad neighborhood where gunshots were going off every night. It was around 2am I think, and I'm walking all around the neighborhood looking for my little sister...could'a had a lot more happen than just getting shot.

Erm...After band practice every day, and especially after parades on Saturdays I would go hang out at my boyfriend's house while his parents weren't around, then go home late and give the excuse that the first few buses didn't show up, or we had to stay late.

Oh yeah, livin' on the edge, baby :p

semilargeintestine
03-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Disclaimer: All of this stuff was either before or during high school. I have not knowingly broken the law (except for going 5-10 over the speed limit on highways) since high school.

I'm not sure the statute of limitations is up on some of the stuff I've done in my youth, but here goes anyway:

"Borrowed" the same car twice
Stole over $250 in books from B&N and Borders
Walked out with probably $50-75 in food from various convenience stores
Evaded police several times to avoid tickets
"Borrowed" probably a total of $1 000 from a bank I worked at (I actually did return all of it and was never caught)

There are less terrible things as well. Needless to say, I am quite reformed and would not even dream of doing such things now. You can pick which one is the worst.

Cella
03-01-2010, 06:46 AM
yeah, but you didn't steal any dog food, so....

Gretad08
03-01-2010, 07:03 AM
I, like Ad Lucem am not a good liar, so I generally don't do it. The worst most dishonest thing I can remember doing actually just happened this past December.

We knew my Dad was about to pass so my Mom, sister, and I went to make funeral arrangements. Afterwards we went out to eat. Obviously, it was a very upsetting day not that that's an excuse.

When I left the restaurant (crying) the wind caught my car door and it slammed into the very nice car next to me and left a huge scratch. Actually it was more than just a scratch...it was a dent with a huge scratch in the middle and I'm pretty sure the car was new.

You can see what's coming next right? Yeah, I left...I'm still feeling extremely guilty about that one, and karma being the beyotch that she is I'm sure is waiting in the wings to pounce.

Seaclusion
03-01-2010, 07:05 AM
I, like Ad Lucem am not a good liar, so I generally don't do it. The worst most dishonest thing I can remember doing actually just happened this past December.

We knew my Dad was about to pass so my Mom, sister, and I went to make funeral arrangements. Afterwards we went out to eat. Obviously, it was a very upsetting day not that that's an excuse.

When I left the restaurant (crying) the wind caught my car door and it slammed into the very nice car next to me and left a huge scratch. Actually it was more than just a scratch...it was a dent with a huge scratch in the middle and I'm pretty sure the car was new.

You can see what's coming next right? Yeah, I left...I'm still feeling extremely guilty about that one, and karma being the beyotch that she is I'm sure is waiting in the wings to pounce.

So that was you who left the scratch in my car.

Richard

Gretad08
03-01-2010, 07:08 AM
So that was you who left the scratch in my car.

Richard

SORRY!!! Omygoodness, send me a bill so I can take care of this Karma nonsense!

Cella
03-01-2010, 07:12 AM
*whispers to Gretad* He doesn't live here! I think he's scamming you!

Seaclusion
03-01-2010, 07:14 AM
*whispers to Gretad* He doesn't live here! I think he's scamming you!

says the dog food thief

Richard

Gretad08
03-01-2010, 07:22 AM
You little shyster! And to think I was gonna send you an apology card :)

Cranky
03-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I lied to my insurance company once. I said that someone had pitched a rock at my windshield, but really *coughs* I had stayed overnight at my boyfriend's house and I was in a hurry to get to work the next day, so I didn't wait for my windshield to defrost before driving...right into a ditch. I was wearing a seatbelt, and driving slowly, so all I got was a bump on the noggin and small crack in my windshield.

They covered the new windshield:D Who knows, they probably would have anyway, but I was scared that because it was my own stupid fault, they wouldn't. I just had to pay my deductible.

Ambrosia
03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
I can't tell you the worst thing I have ever gotten away with because if I told you that, I wouldn't have gotten away with it.

Confession is bad for getting away with things, you know.

MattW
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
I once mixed up a batch of fake puke, took it to a movie theater and dumped it off the balcony. Or was that from Goonies?

No...the worst thing I ever got away with is between me and my maker.

dgrintalis
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I can't tell you the worst thing I have ever gotten away with because if I told you that, I wouldn't have gotten away with it.

Confession is bad for getting away with things, you know.

QFT

Alpha Echo
03-01-2010, 05:33 PM
The worst thing I did and got away with...probably all the drunk driving I used to do. Man, when I think about how absolutely drunk I've been and still got behind the wheel just to get my ass home...forget getting pulled over, I'm lucky I never hurt anyone! But I was never pulled over either.

I don't drunk drive anymore, but in college and my early 20's, I never even thought about it even though I knew it was wrong.

Wicked
03-01-2010, 07:59 PM
This morning I was reminded of another one, by the opening lyrics of a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-CV117Q4g4

If you're coming with me you need nerves of steel
because I take corners on two wheels

Literally translated. And back to that camaro again.
Our High School had open campus, and as luck would have it, one semester my two best friends shared my hour off. I introduced them to my favorite morning habit; a run to the grocery store for donuts, soda, and candy. (I lived off of caffeine and sugar)

The store was down the block and around the corner from the school. On our way back from the store, just as I was pulling out of the parking lot, the turning lane light turned yellow.
And one of my friends giggled and said, "Hit it, you can make it. I dare you."
The other friend laughed and agreed.

In that split second before I put my foot to the floor, my brain calculated that I could in fact make it to the intersection before the light turned red. Unfortunately it didn't get as far as "and then you have to turn".

As we careened, them screaming all the way, through the intersection, it didn't occur to me that that may have been one of the dumbest things I'd ever done. The car tipped, and I remember my friends leaning to the far side.

How I made it without rolling the car, I will never know.

Once we were not-so-safely through the light, they gradually released their death grips on the doors, and their skin started to regain its color.
"You idiot! We were kidding!"
"You dared me."
"Because we knew you would never make it. We didn't think you would actually do it!"
"But I did make it."

Something about the words "dare you" always bypassed that common sense/self preservation part of my brain.

Mystic Blossom
03-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm such a terrible liar, so I've gotten away with very little in my life. I suppose the worst things have fallen into the category of, if my dad asks me I've cleaned the litter box, I'll say, "Yes," even though I haven't. But I totally will in like, an hour, so it's still good.

Two days later...oops!

...I'm a bad cat mommy.

jilly61
03-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Once, when I was about eleven, I took a reel of cotton from a local dept store just cause I could. I didn't need it and felt so bad that I took it back the following week. Didn't get caught either time.

lucidzfl
03-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I too did my share of drunk driving. Managed to come away without any problems. Maybe there is a god who knows.

The worst thing I've ever done and gotten away with? Jesus. There's several things. Honestly, they ashame me to my very core, and the less people that know about them, the better.

In almost every case, it involves doing harm to someone physically or emotionally, and I'll take it to my grave.

Cella
03-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm scared of this thread.

jilly61
03-01-2010, 09:44 PM

I'm curious. What did you do with the dog food?

kayleamay
03-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I once told someone that I didn't know how to read so she wouldn't offer me a job.

That's totally not the worst thing I've ever gotten away with, but it's about the worst thing I'm willing to admit to.

Alpha Echo
03-01-2010, 09:59 PM
The things I'm most ashamed of, I eventually got caught.

shakeysix
03-01-2010, 10:25 PM
this happened twenty four years ago, so i think the statute of limitations is up:

i was driving to work one morning, late as usual. i had two kids to drop off at school and a baby to take to daycare. my boss was an asshole. she could be late as often as she wanted but when we peons were late she chewed us out so the whole office could hear. i was one chewing away from being written up. i was sitting at a red light, stewing about my upcoming ass chewing, when i noticed no one was coming. so i ran the light.

only someone was coming. i slammed on my brakes and she slammed on hers. i waved apologetically but she, a hispanic woman about my age, was having none of it. she screamed 'puta" and "chinga cochina" at me. i could tell by her language that she was a pretty tough customer. in fact, she looked like geronimo with blue eye shadow.

she proceeded to change lanes and chase me for the next eleven blocks screaming vile words and making vile gestures. this was getting on my nerves so i flew the mal dedo at her. this only escalated her fury. she began pulling next to me and trying to run me into a ditch. this happened on the outskirts of dodge city, kansas, so the ditches were pretty isolated. besides that i was driving a brand new red mazda. she was driving some old clunker. so what would it hurt for her to bump me off the road and then flee?

we zoomed into my office parking lot and i was going to make a run for my office when i spotted a piece of rebar left over from some renovation. instead i grabbed the rebar and made for her car, swinging the bar like i meant business. in my textbook spanish i threatened to smash her car and then i threatened to smash her face. okay, that last part was in english. i never learned that particular phrase in college.

this rebar brandishing had an effect on the lady,who was much bigger than i was. surprisingly she jumped into her car and laid scratch out of there. i went inside carrying the rebar and for some reason i put it in my file cabinet. no ass chewing. (oh, the power of rebar!)

about thirty minutes later the police showed up at the front desk, asking for me. the bitch had taken down my plates and called! contritely, i admitted that i had run the light and almost hit "that poor lady" but that she had chased me screaming and trying to run me off the road. they asked if i had threatened her with a tire iron. i boggled in my most timid state office worker manner and then kind of chuckled. "are you kidding? did you see the size of her?"

of course they believed me. but to make it look better i told them they could look in my car for a tire iron but ours was bolted down under the trunk. then i said (heh-heh) i think maybe that poor lady has mental problems. she was way too stressed out for a simple morning drive.

now i must be very very good and never lie or threaten folks with rebar again because if i go to hell i know that bitch will be waiting for me!--s6

Mr Flibble
03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I decked a cop in front of all his mates once, and didn't get done ( what does it take to get arrested FFS!) He fell into a car hard enough to dent it :D I didn't realise he was a cop until he stood up all angry ( cos his mates were laughing) and I started shouting Policia! He gets up, drags himself up to his full five foot, points at himself and says 'me policia'

Oh crap....still I didn't get arrested.

Though, to be fair, he should not have been sitting on my motorbike trying to get me to go to his house for a quick shag using the only three phrases of English the local boys knew. 'You beautiful, I love you, my house, just five minutes.'

Dude, if I'm gonna do that it'd better last longer than five minutes! And you'd do better if you didn't look like a chimpanzee who's been strategically shaved.

quickWit
03-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Dude, if I'm gonna do that it'd better last longer than five minutes! And you'd do better if you didn't look like a chimpanzee who's been strategically shaved.

How would you feel about six minutes and a bunny with a bikini wax?

Mr Flibble
03-01-2010, 10:46 PM
How would you feel about six minutes and a bunny with a bikini wax?

Ill?

quickWit
03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Ill?

I'll be sure not to wax then. :D

Cella
03-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm curious. What did you do with the dog food?
I fed it to my doggie :)

jilly61
03-01-2010, 11:09 PM
All in a good cause, then, unlike my grand theft :)

Cella
03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
what's ironic is that we were there to buy dog food :rolleyes:
Hence my reason for roaming to that aisle to begin with....

In fact, when I confessed to my parents they looked at me more like, "strange kid," rather than "stealing is wrong"--though I'm sure they added that later.

Scoody
03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
My ex-wife made a friend at her dojo and would tell me all about her and always insist that we should go out on a double date with that girl and her boyfriend. My wife had never met her boyfriend but said that he sounded pretty cool because the girl never shut up about him. She in turn would tell the girl about how cool I was as a husband and the girl really wanted to meet me so we all could go out together.

It never dawned on them that they were talking me. I still can't believe I pulled that one off for months.

Libbie
03-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ugh. I'm kind of getting away with the worst thing I've ever gotten away with right now. It's really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Most people wouldn't think it was bad at all, in any way, in fact. I don't think it's bad in any way. But I think if someone in my life knew about it, he'd feel really hurt by it. That one facet of the whole complex issue makes me feel like I'm doing something bad.

But it's good for me. So...what ya gonna do?

Oh, and there was that time I blew up a planet, too. Nobody ever pinned that one on me.

Libbie
03-01-2010, 11:24 PM
My ex-wife made a friend at her dojo and would tell me all about her and always insist that we should go out on a double date with that girl and her boyfriend. My wife had never met her boyfriend but said that he sounded pretty cool because the girl never shut up about him. She in turn would tell the girl about how cool I was as a husband and the girl really wanted to meet me so we all could go out together.

It never dawned on them that they were talking me. I still can't believe I pulled that one off for months.

Yikes!

stormie
03-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I never get away with anything. And even if I did, I'd probably confess eventually to clear my conscience.

It's not that I want to be honest to a fault. It's mainly that I don't have a very long memory for keeping untruths straight, AND on top of that, I just never really mastered that whole "knowing when it's best to keep your mouth shut about certain things" talent that other people seem to have.

In short: I suck at lying.
That's me exactly. Right now I'm the cause of some people being angry because I should have kept my mouth shut.

I swear I was born speaking the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God and my motor-mouth.

Cella
03-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Ugh. I'm kind of getting away with the worst thing I've ever gotten away with right now. It's really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Most people wouldn't think it was bad at all, in any way, in fact. I don't think it's bad in any way. But I think if someone in my life knew about it, he'd feel really hurt by it. That one facet of the whole complex issue makes me feel like I'm doing something bad.

But it's good for me. So...what ya gonna do?

I had to switch hair stylists too, one time.... :D

tjwriter
03-01-2010, 11:42 PM
That's me exactly. Right now I'm the cause of some people being angry because I should have kept my mouth shut.

I swear I was born speaking the truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God and my motor-mouth.
Amen! I don't even try to get away with things. I just have to share, lol. I do soften the presentation for the kids, but I have real issues with not giving them the truth.

backslashbaby
03-02-2010, 03:28 AM
I dropped my purse at McDonald's back in the day, and my dime baggy fell out along with all of my makeup and stuff... right at a cop's foot! He nearly picked it up for me, then hesitated. Then he picked up my hairbrush instead, nice as you please :D

His friend-cop was picking up things, too. Everybody and their mother saw the baggie. We all just smiled and acted polite :) I thanked them quite profusely :D

stormie
03-02-2010, 04:16 AM
^ Priceless. Just...priceless! ^

Fingers
03-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Federal Statute of Limitations does not apply so cant talk about it. Next worst thing would be burglary. Long ago and far away.

yer pal Brian

KellyAssauer
03-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm still pretending to be a writer,...

does that count?

-oopsy-

slcboston
03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Ask me again when the statute of limitations has run out or I'm residing in a country where they don't extradite.

kaitie
03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh goodness. Is it lame that I seriously can't think of anything? I was one of those super good kids who went to a slumber party and if they watched a movie I was allowed to watch, stayed in the other room reading instead (as you can imagine, I also didn't really have friends :tongue).

I guess the closest thing I can come to is when I had been raising money for a charity that had a pretty strong anti-abortion stance. I asked a teacher to donate, and she wasn't sure if she should because she was pro-choice. I explained some of the other aspects of the charity, which included counseling for those who did have abortions and what not, and so she donated ten dollars. I felt guilty about that for ages because I know it was still basically not something she would have supported had I not been standing there asking for money. Now I tend to figure she was aware of that and still donated, and I wasn't being dishonest because I had all the information there to show her, but I still felt like I was talking her out of money she wouldn't have normally given.

Pyrohawk
03-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Lets see....

I have broken in to a lot of places. Well more like snuck in since I never broke anything, never stole anything, and never vandalized any of those places. I just like to sneak around like a ninja. In High School I would sneak in to my school after hours, run around on the roof, and sneak in to the steam tunnels underneath the school. I also snuck in to the dam near my house a few times late at night and various other places. So many close calls..... But nothing more exciting than a police officer looking for you! lol

I am an amateur pyrotechnic. Meaning I manufacture fireworks. 95% of the time I am very responsible and am far more interested in the artistry of fireworks, its a very fulfilling and exciting hobby. But nonetheless....everyone enjoys a good boom from time to time. I made a large flash charge and put it in a dumpster to entertain my friends (I was drunk or probably would have thought better of this). The flash and boom were so loud in the streets....jeesh... it set off every car alarm for blocks and had people running outside to see what happened. Meanwhile a half dozen 20 years olds ran for a mile giggling.

I owe the store I work at probably 100 dollars worth of stuff....I honestly do intend to pay it back but I don't even remember what all I took. Just like a snickers here, a bag of chips there, etc

Matera the Mad
03-02-2010, 11:46 AM
It's what I didn't do that's the worst....