PDA

View Full Version : Amazon's Crazy Pricing

Word Jedi
02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Has anyone else noticed this?
I put a few things in my Shopping Cart on Amazon a few weeks ago, but was not ready to buy at the time, and with Christmas behind me, I figured why bother putting them on the Wish List.
I have found that the prices of the items in my cart go up and down like stock commodities.
And the upswings can be very striking!
I have a textbook, for instance, on my list that has gone up and down in price by as much as thirty bucks!
What the heck is Amazon thinking?

alleycat
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
You probably notice this more because Amazon actually tells you whether an item has gone up or down in price since you placed it in your cart. Think about the grocery store. Or the clothing store (want to buy a nice winter jacket about now? 60% off!). Or the gas station . . .

I will admit that a book going up or down by $30 seems unusual.

Medievalist
02-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Another interesting thing; if you use the yearly fee option for free shipping, you'll see a higher price for the same item than someone who doesn't pay the fee. You can check this by logging out and doing a price check; sometimes you're still entitled to free shipping.

alleycat
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Some companies that sell by catalog print two different catalogs; one for new customers (with a lower price) and one for their regular customers. Their rationale is it's no different than giving a discount to new customers.

I usual grim when I get a magazine subscription renewal notice calling me a "preferred subscriber." Yeah, preferred because the renewal rate they're offering me is the highest one on their rate list.

stephenf
02-28-2010, 09:32 PM
It's the law of supply and demand.Also,most things on Amazon are being sold by third parities .They will submit their stock,often undercutting the competition and, if demand is low, a process of reverse bidding will come into play.If the demand is good the cheaper stuff goes and the price will rise .