PDA

View Full Version : Just when I think I have this submitting stuff down...

Elaine Margarett
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Argh... Compusive editting freak, I can never, ever leave well enough alone. I tweaked the opening sentence of my synopsis and left an extraneous word in, "as".

Stupid, stupid, stupid! At least I only sent out two copies before I caught it.

I is an idiot~

Wayne K
02-28-2010, 07:18 PM
I put "Query for me memoir" in the subject line of a query to a publisher. All idiots bow to me, your King.

icerose
02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
I called Ethan Ellenburg Ellen Ethanburg. I read that query letter about fifty times before hitting send and I still didn't see it until right as I clicked send. I could have smacked myself. Yeah, never did get a response, no surprise there.

I've mixed up agents names before, like switching them on two different query letters. So I killed two queries with one swoop. That takes talent.

Wayne K
02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I called Ethan Ellenburg Ellen Ethanburg. I read that query letter about fifty times before hitting send and I still didn't see it until right as I clicked send. I could have smacked myself. Yeah, never did get a response, no surprise there.

I've mixed up agents names before, like switching them on two different query letters. So I killed two queries with one swoop. That takes talent.
My Queen :D

Wayne K
02-28-2010, 07:24 PM
That's the funniest thing I've read about querying in a long time Ice.

Thank you

Jersey Chick
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
I put "Query for me memoir" in the subject line of a query to a publisher. All idiots bow to me, your King.
AR! It be the memoir of a pirate.

AR! :D

Libbie
02-28-2010, 08:45 PM
AR! It be the memoir of a pirate.

AR! :D

Man, you stole my post.

cuddlekins
02-28-2010, 08:53 PM
I once sent a query to a friend and 5 chapters for editing to an agent. Subject line to the agent read 'Hon, work on this will ya?' Never sent another email without checking the address bar a million times.

Edit: Agent did respond by sending me her submission guidelines.

Sage
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
I once sent a query to a friend and 5 chapters for editing to an agent. Subject line to the agent read 'Hon, work on this will ya?' Never sent another email without checking the address bar a million times.

Edit: Agent did respond by sending me her submission guidelines.
Did you turn around and send the query with a quick note about what happened? Maybe you could have made the agent laugh and gotten her attention

Kitty27
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I got so caught up in making my query perfect that I forgot to change the greeting. I sent my sparkling love off,not paying any atttention.

I can imagine those agents who received a query titled" Dear Agent,Whose Soul Shall Be Mine" were a bit put off.

cuddlekins
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Did you turn around and send the query with a quick note about what happened? Maybe you could have made the agent laugh and gotten her attention

I did. Though I'm not sure she laughed or not. ;)

cuddlekins
02-28-2010, 09:25 PM
I got so caught up in making my query perfect that I forgot to change the greeting. I sent my sparkling love off,not paying any atttention.

I can imagine those agents who received a query titled" Dear Agent,Whose Soul Shall Be Mine" were a bit put off.

This made my day! LOL

Ken
02-28-2010, 09:38 PM
... it's good you only sent out to two agents. But if they were from the top of your list I can see your being upset. These things happen though. Done similar, myself. So just corrrect the error and get off two more.

icerose
02-28-2010, 10:16 PM

This one puts mine to shame. Very funny.

Kitty27
02-28-2010, 10:19 PM
So far,those two agents haven't sent me an R,so I hope I didn't scare them too much!

I learned my lesson. Now I go over my query very carefully before I send them out.

Wayne K
02-28-2010, 10:30 PM
"Query for me memoir" got me a request for a full from ECW Press. I forgot to mention that. He must have said to himself "I gotta see this" and liked what he read. Anyway, I got his attention.

Wayne K
02-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Our neighbors thought we had a son named Jack, because we talked about him like he was family. He sent me a e-mail saying "It's printing up right now"

He passed as the economy tanked, but he told me to keep at it. Jack was a sweetheart.

Ugawa
02-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I sent a query to Ms. Stampfel-Volpe. Unfortunately, I addressed her as Ms. Stamped-Volpe.

*bows head in shame*

I blame my dyslexia... It's what I blame everything else on, so why not?

KathleenD
03-01-2010, 02:33 AM
I recently did a perfect query. I didn't forget anything in the letter.

What I forgot was to do was attach the manuscript.

The story still sold, though, after I sent a followup with the manuscript, and I will probably go to my grave still thanking that editor.

Elaine Margarett
03-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Oh, thank you all!!

You've made me feel better. <BG>

Snivscriv
03-02-2010, 03:02 AM
It's possible that some of the readers of query letters and manuscripts in slush piles are human beings, and maybe some of them have a problem editing their own work too. I certainly hope so, for my own sake.

Of course, some people have a knack for finding every typo they make, seemingly effortlessly. I expect that those people aren't terribly patient with those of us who lack the same gift. Nevertheless, the bottom line is that it's relatively easy tocan catch typos in the editing process. It's a lot harder, for an editor to turn a dull story into a compelling one. If that was easy, publishers would simply take the first few manuscripts they see in the slush pile and turn them into masterpieces. There'd be no need to struggle to find new authors because editors would simply create them during the publication process.

Ideally, you can provide both a compelling story and a perfectly typed and gramatically correct manuscript. Despite spending hundreds of hours looking for mistakes in my manuscript, however, they're still in there, hiding among all those words, so I fall far short of the ideal.

Elaine Margarett
03-02-2010, 04:01 AM
It's possible that some of the readers of query letters and manuscripts in slush piles are human beings, and maybe some of them have a problem editing their own work too. I certainly hope so, for my own sake.

Yes, we're all human. I just wish it wasn't the opening sentence. <g>

...It's a lot harder, for an editor to turn a dull story into a compelling one. If that was easy, publishers would simply take the first few manuscripts they see in the slush pile and turn them into masterpieces. There'd be no need to struggle to find new authors because editors would simply create them during the publication process...

Too true. And welcome to the cooler. :-)

kaitie
03-02-2010, 02:08 PM

LOL!

I discovered that hitting ctrl+enter in my email makes it send. I've done this TWICE now while trying to paste something into the body on accident. I go to hit "enter" and then ctrl+v, and send it out. The first time I did it without any of the supplemental stuff (sample pages, synopsis, etc.), so I sent another apologizing and explained what happened and included that. No idea if that'll get a response yet or not. Today's is missing the synopsis for the same reason, though I didn't bother to try to fix it. My query letter actually says "included below is my synopsis" so I'm hoping it clicks that oopsie I was just dumb. I think it happens to all of us.

KTC
03-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Don't as be as hard as on as yourself. Nobody as is perfect. These as things as happen. Agents as are as more as forgiving as than as we as give as them as credit as for. Keep as the as faith!

CaroGirl
03-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I once spelled my main character's name two different ways. One way in the query and another way in the synopsis. What? That doesn't build rock-solid trust that I'm a writer who knows what she's doing?

Don't sweat it.

johnnysannie
03-02-2010, 10:29 PM
I recently did a perfect query. I didn't forget anything in the letter.

What I forgot was to do was attach the manuscript.

The story still sold, though, after I sent a followup with the manuscript, and I will probably go to my grave still thanking that editor.

I'm not alone! I did the same thing. When I realized it, I just sent another e-mail apologizing and explaining.