Not open for further replies.

Mystery1

Make-believe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharonaustin.blogspot.com
I hope this is in the right forum.

I'm re-writing my short story query. Someone told me they didn't think it's a Supernatural Crime. The only other genre I found that might work is Speculative Fiction, but I'm not sure.

What genre is this?

Dear Magazine People,

To earn the much-coveted Bonnie Parker Smile, an out-of-work lunatic hones his skills in highway robbery.

Martin Gibber began targeting recreational vehicles, traveling through Missouri on Route 66, four years ago after he'd gotten fired from his job at a dairy farm for trying to walk off with the cash box. Accosting tourists parked alongside the highway, he discovers grand larceny is far more rewarding than petty theft.

Making believe he is Clyde Barrow, he envisions Miss Bonnie Parker, her blonde hair caressing her cheek in soft arcs from the open windows of his imaginary 1934 Ford sedan. In order to take her heart and smile away from Clyde, Martin must prove he is a better gangster and loverboy. Little does he know, while he's living out a fantasy while eking out a living, someone else has begun stalking the historic highway.

Bonnie Parker Smile, my 5,000-word supernatural crime short story, is available for review.

Thank you.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Until the last sentence, I thought this was a mainstream story, with no fantasy or paranormal elements at all. If the feedback you got was from someone who only read the query, then perhaps being unambiguous about the nature of the stalker would be all you'd need to make the supernatural element clear.

I think the story sounds great. :) I'm just wondering, where are you submitting this that you need to do a query? Normally it's only novel-length (and perhaps novella-length) works that require this kind of query.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need a query?
Just send the story

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
That's because you don't mention anything supernatural in it.

But yeah, for most markets for a 5k story... you shouldn't be needing a query. Just send the story and a cover letter (which doesn't summarize the story).

Mystery1

Make-believe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharonaustin.blogspot.com
I don't know why I thought I needed a query for a short. Sheesh. I reckon I've sent out one too many for novels and it's become second nature.

Well, problem solved. Thanks, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.