PDA

View Full Version : Fame and fortune

maestrowork
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
What if you are as rich and (in)famous as JK Rowling, Stephen King, Stephanie Meyer, Dan Brown, or James Patterson? What if you have just as many fans as detractors?

Would you like it? Would you run? Would you just ignore all that and mind your own business and just write? Can you truly get away unscathed in this world of celebrity worship?

BrooklynLee
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, I'm not much of a daydreamer on these kinds of things...I don't spend a lot of time thinking about winning the lottery either. :)

But really, the nice thing about being a writer is that even the most famous writer in the world can still usually go to the grocery store in peace. Whereas it seems like even a C-list movie actor can't come home from the gym in a ratty t-shirt without a picture showing up on some gossip Web site the next day.

I mean, I couldn't pick Dan Brown out of a lineup. And I like to think I'm actually paying attention to the writing world, unlike 90% of my fellow Americans.

So it's probably easier to ignore the trappings (both positive and negative) of celebrity as a writer than as another kind of celebrity. How an individual handles it is probably based on his or her own temperament, though, like anything else.

seun
02-27-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm not fussed about gaining any fame from writing. Getting paid to do it would be very nice but that's as far as I'd like to go. If I did have any success with it, I'd expect detractors. No writer (or celebrity for that matter) is universally loved. Just as long as nobody said my name in the same sentence as Dan Brown's, I'd be happy.

thethinker42
02-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Seun doesn't like Dan Brown.

Just as long as nobody said my name in the same sentence as Dan Brown's, I'd be happy.

Oh...crap...sorry Seun. :D

seun
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Touche. :D

Toothpaste
02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I've thought a lot about it, and have decided. I'd be fine with it. I do think there would be the obvious negatives, but the good thing with even being a super famous author is that while you might, yes, get recognised on the street, it still wouldn't be to the same degree as an actor and to me that's the biggest negative to fame. I like to go out and do stuff.

But dealing with detractors, obnoxious people etc, well that would be made much easier by having so many people love your work and a nice pile of money to sleep on. Would also like critical success though, and awards given by peers, so I'm more interested in JK Rowling's fame than Meyer's.

:)

Libbie
02-27-2010, 09:03 PM
What if you are as rich and (in)famous as JK Rowling, Stephen King, Stephanie Meyer, Dan Brown, or James Patterson? What if you have just as many fans as detractors?

Would you like it? Would you run? Would you just ignore all that and mind your own business and just write? Can you truly get away unscathed in this world of celebrity worship?

I would so dig it. I thrive on outside validation. I think most of us do, but few of us are willing to admit it.

That being said, I'd probably just smile to myself and keep on working. I write because it's fun and therapeutic, and being famous wouldn't change the fact that writing is my main creative outlet.

maestrowork
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm not asking if you want fame/fortune. I'm saying if you do have fame and fortune, how would you cope?

For me, for a long while I resisted even entertaining the notion that I might become famous - I dreaded it. Even though I acted and wrote and did those things, in the back of my mind, the last thing I wanted was to become "famous," (even without the paparazzi), to be recognized by strangers.

But over the years, I've eased into the idea and I actually embrace it. Not that I want to be famous, but that I wouldn't resist it. I think there's a good side of being famous. Like when George Clooney came out and helped raise $59 million for Haiti -- that's a good thing, as long as they're not doing it for their own egos. You can help raise so much awareness when people, like it or not, listen to what you have to say. And trust me, we writers have tons to say. And like Libbie said, many of us need outside validation whether we want to admit or not. It really is nice when a lot of people like your work; that makes what we love to do even more worthwhile.

Saskatoonistan
02-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I want grills.

Maxinquaye
02-27-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm quite a private person, so I think the fame would bother me. For a guy that gets the stutters when talking in front of a big crowd, that would bother me quite a bit I think.

I don't write for fame and fortune, after all. It is a miniscule risk with the job. If it came, I don't really know what to do. Maybe I would handle it like Salinger or Garbo did. I don't know, and I think it is hard to know unless you're actually in that situation.

It is like asking a washing lady in Smolensk what she would do if she was a CEO in a Wall Street bank.

charlotte49ers
02-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Though those authors are super famous, they don't get mobbed usually, so it would be easier to handle than say, being Brad Pitt, or something.

I think I would handle it fine, plus I live in a town I've been in practically my whole life, so I don't think anyone would be super excited to see me at Outback or church on Sunday. :-P

aruna
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm a very private person so if I did get fame and fortune from writing I'd grab the money and run!

I don't need outside validation -- truly not. So I'd shun the celebritiy route. But I'd still be happy that millions of people to love my books because I want to change the world! (Can't help it -- I was born into such a family!)

But -- if I had Rowling's fame-- I would retire to a place where nobody could find me. I would not be availaible for interviews. I would not do readings or events. I'd donate most of my money to charity -- in fact, start a few charities of my own. I don't need much myself -- just enough to retire to my secret hideout and live in peace for the rest of my life! I'd still like to travel, probably. But privately, incognito, not as Ms Famous Author.

Sevvy
02-27-2010, 11:13 PM
There is a part of me that hopes that I will be so famous editors will fight over the chance to publish my personal journals after I die. Seriously, I want to be the stuff of biography wars.

Thankfully that is a small part of me, and my more rational self will be overjoyed if I manage to be even moderately successful someday. Heck, if someday I was successful enough to actually make a living doing this...that would be amazing.

Claudia Gray
02-27-2010, 11:25 PM
If I had it, I'd have to hire people to deal more with the mail/internet sides of things, and I'd avoid reviews even more than I do. Nor would I be able to continue at Absolute Write, since -- no matter what i wrote or how I wrote it -- there would be endless threads explaining how I was doing it wrong. Other than that, I can't really see a downside. It would be great to have no financial worries at all.

scarletpeaches
02-27-2010, 11:29 PM
I'm not asking if you want fame/fortune. I'm saying if you do have fame and fortune, how would you cope?I'd get laid a lot more than I do now. Yeah, I'd cope.

maestrowork
I'd definitely have help -- free me from all the mundane stuff, please. And I would control the interviews, public appearances, etc. (kind of the way JD Salinger or Harper Lee did it). But I wouldn't reject the fame; I just protect my privacy with a vengeance.

backslashbaby
I would hate it. Seriously, the balance of energy in the world would be entirely out of whack if people paid that kind of attention to me.

I wouldn't mind an appearance here and there about the work. That makes sense. But anything more than that and I'd get very rude and too eccentric real quick :D It's just too bizarre for me.

willietheshakes
I'm not asking if you want fame/fortune. I'm saying if you do have fame and fortune, how would you cope?

Co-eds and blow.

maestrowork
02-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I'd get laid a lot more than I do now. Yeah, I'd cope.

Groupies, you mean? Who wouldn't want to have sex with a famous author. Just ask all the Neil Gaiman fans (ahem... I know a few; you all shall remain nameless).

kuwisdelu
02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Groupies, you mean? Who wouldn't want to have sex with a famous author. Just ask all the Neil Gaiman fans (ahem... I know a few; you all shall remain nameless).

I've always written for the groupies. That's why I started writing.

maestrowork
02-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I've yet to... wait, nevermind :e2brows:

gothicangel
02-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I would love to never have to worry about never having money, or paying the bills. The flip side I couldn't leave academia no matter how famous I got.

I would make damn sure I put something back: charity work or setting up a scholarship.

I was thinking about this today [while serving the usual drunks and druggies]; I work this hard, so my children don't have to do this.

Ken
02-28-2010, 12:50 AM
... would wear a diguise and change my name to Ben. Don't think I'll ever have to worry about the downsides to fame, though, or upsides either. At this rate it'll be half a miracle if I ever manage to get a book on the shelves, at all, that sells a copy or two and nets me a buck fifty in royalties during its two-day run.

HConn
02-28-2010, 01:06 AM
I'd create a second account here on AW, start a thread slamming "that hack HConn," then loiter at the computer all day hoping you guys would jump in to defend me.

C.M.C.
02-28-2010, 01:07 AM
I'd pull a Salinger. Actually, I want to anyway, but it would give me an excuse.

Maxinquaye
02-28-2010, 01:10 AM

You're a writer. Writers don't get laid.

*sigh*

cwfgal
02-28-2010, 02:09 AM
I'd create a second account here on AW, start a thread slamming "that hack HConn," then loiter at the computer all day hoping you guys would jump in to defend me.

Too funny!

Beth

scarletpeaches
02-28-2010, 02:10 AM

*sigh*Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Pesimisticus
02-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Peace exists within me. I am a laid back, easy going, no-skin-off-my-nose kind of person. I would love being a famous author, and I am confident that, aside from some moments of irritation, frustration, etc (who doesn't have those?), I would handle it just fine.

Libbie
02-28-2010, 03:53 AM

I know, man. That's how I'd cope. I'd dig on it, and then I'd just keep on writing. I'd keep on writing, but in the back of my head I'd be standing on a battleship with a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner.

I typically cope with stuff by just kind of going with it, though. It's my super-slick style.

Oh, and yeah, I guess I'd probably use my powers for good. Like my fantasy of getting to turn down Oprah's book club in order to raise awareness of her promotion of dangerous pseudoscience. :D

CEtchison
02-28-2010, 04:14 AM
I think the hardest thing would be for me to deal with my in-laws. If I were to obtain the money of Rowling, King or Patterson, they would fully be expecting me to support them.

Everything else I could deal with, but I know my in-laws would cause me the greatest stress.

Noah Body
02-28-2010, 04:16 AM
I'd certainly love the financial rewards, but I'm not so sure I'd dig being accosted in the frozen foods section of Stop & Shop by someone wanting me to read their work in progress. I watched similar things happen to Ron Howard (crazed, inarticulate screenwriter trying to pitch him a science fiction story) and the late Paul Newman, of all folks. It wasn't pretty, and I have far less aplomb than either of those guys.

maestrowork
02-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Live in LA -- nobody will bother you. They have seen everything and are at least Facebook friends with the biggest stars or smallest reality TV celebrities. You'll be safe as a lowly writer (yeah, even Rowling will be safe in LA).

Noah Body
02-28-2010, 04:29 AM
Live in LA -- nobody will bother you. They have seen everything and are at least Facebook friends with the biggest stars or smallest reality TV celebrities. You'll be safe as a lowly writer (yeah, even Rowling will be safe in LA).

I lived in LA for years. :D

Mr. Anonymous
02-28-2010, 04:47 AM
My biggest worry about fame/fortune would be all of a sudden people pay a lot more attention to everything you say/do. Say something without thinking about it or that can easily be taken out of context or even make a bad joke and all of a sudden there's a shitstorm. That would be the main negative, I think. Wanting to open up to fans but at the same time always trying to be on the guard.

I honestly don't know how I'd deal with it, but when it becomes an issue, I'll let you all know.

Libbie
02-28-2010, 05:18 AM
I think the hardest thing would be for me to deal with my in-laws. If I were to obtain the money of Rowling, King or Patterson, they would fully be expecting me to support them.

Everything else I could deal with, but I know my in-laws would cause me the greatest stress.

Sounds like a job for a pen name!

scarletpeaches
02-28-2010, 05:58 AM

Everything else I could deal with, but I know my in-laws would cause me the greatest stress.Repeat after me: "Get fucked, you grasping little bastards."

brokenfingers
02-28-2010, 06:18 AM
I’m an attention whore who feels a need to update his facebook every five minutes, as well as tweet every passing thought the moment it enters my brain. I also like to broadcast each and every accomplishment, no matter how minor or mundane. So fame would suit me just fine.

To keep up with the public’s need to feast upon me, I’d probably have to ramp up my drug intake. I’d also probably drink more heavily to compensate.

Naturally, whenever I felt attention was wavering, I’d contrive some outlandish public fiasco to keep my name in the spotlight. I’d also be on every talk show and reality TV show my publicist could finagle me on to help sate my need for attention.

Oh, and I’d get a large tattoo on my chest that said “ME! ME! ME!”

CEtchison
02-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Repeat after me: "Get fucked, you grasping little bastards."

LOL! Believe it or not, I've said it more than once already. Still can't shake them.

maestrowork
02-28-2010, 09:26 AM
If you support them, you should be able to use them as slaves. That's only fair.

Maxinquaye
02-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Summerspring, after being interviewed on 60 Minutes or America Today, turns toward the inlaws who grasp at her:

"Who the hell are you people?"

willietheshakes
02-28-2010, 01:21 PM

*sigh*

Well... that's just not true.

CEtchison
02-28-2010, 07:56 PM
If you support them, you should be able to use them as slaves. That's only fair.

But... but... that would mean they would be around. Can I sell them? lol

Summerspring, after being interviewed on 60 Minutes or America Today, turns toward the inlaws who grasp at her:

"Who the hell are you people?"

BWAH! My fantasy right there in a nutshell.

But I've decided (and many thanks Maestro for giving me permission to ponder this.... lol) if I had that kind of money, I should be able to make them all just.... disappear. Right? Charter a private plane and somewhere above the middle of nowhere the pilot will don his parachute and say, "Gotta go!" as he leaps from the plane.

I may have to take a second look at the formula to writing a blockbuster. :evil

Ugawa
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I'd be too scared to write anything new. What if the next novel was crap? I'd be hunted down!

Well, not hunted, but I'd be worried that I couldn't write anything as good and lose all my fans.

jvc
02-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Nah, I'd be able to handle it. I'd handle anything for the fortune part. Plus, just because my name might be instantly recognisable, as an author, my face probably wouldn't be. Mainly because I tend to wear a wig and make-up when I go into town for shopping ;) ;) :D

Semper Write
02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Nah, I'd be able to handle it. I'd handle anything for the fortune part. Plus, just because my name might be instantly recognisable, as an author, my face probably wouldn't be. Mainly because I tend to wear a wig and make-up when I go into town for shopping ;) ;) :D

I know one of those famous authors personally. He copes by drinking a lot of Pepsi and staying home. :) I would love the attention myself, but I can't lie, I'd feel like a big target when out in public. There are a lot of weird people in this world.

HConn
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM

As I explained to my co-workers, if I hit the big time with my writing, they wouldn't even know I'd vanished.

"Hmm. Harry didn't show up for his shift again."

"And his answering machine is full. Do you think something bad might have happened?"

Later that day, outside my apartment.

"No one is answering. And look at all that mail! Peek in the front window."

"Okay. Um..."

"What do you see?"

"There's a couple of wires on the wall, but that's it. There's nothing else in there."

KathleenD
03-01-2010, 02:21 AM
I want grills.

Co-eds and blow.

I've always written for the groupies. That's why I started writing.

These. All of these.

Miss T
03-01-2010, 10:02 AM
I'd just get Perez Hilton on my side, no big deal.

aruna
03-01-2010, 11:16 AM
It's true though that authors don't become celebrities the way actors or singers do; that's because writing, unlike performing, is a solitary act and actually dependent on solitude, and pretty boring to watch. You can even do it secretly or anonymously, unlike performing. So they don't need to keep putting themselves into the news; they don't have to be beautiful and/or crazy. There's northing glamorous about it. Their books stand in for them.

The only only writers I know who do seem to be chased by the media (or else putting themselves into the news constantly) are Salman Rushdie and Martin Amis. Even Rowling I believe leads a fairly normal family life (well, normal for a multimillionaire!)

For me, the big advantage of making loads of money is the ability to buy even more solitude, in the home and place I want.
I would definitely stop writing, though.

C.M.C.
03-01-2010, 07:31 PM

*sigh*

What a stupid world we live in.

CaroGirl
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd never seek that kind of fame. But if it found me, I'd cope by reading only reviews from legitimate sources and staying away from places where people delight in smearing and bashing just for the sake of it. Isolation. That's how I'd cope.

NeuroFizz
03-01-2010, 08:17 PM

*sigh*
I'm never alone and I have the hand-calluses to prove it. How would I handle writing success? I guess I'd have better respect for me in the morning.

Phaeal
03-01-2010, 10:01 PM
I'd remind myself daily that "Noblesse oblige." To the extent that I could make fans happy without losing my writing time*, I'd be more than glad to make them happy -- and thank the universe for the chance.

* After all, if they're real fans, they won't want to interfere with my writing time. ;)

Renee Collins
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM

*sigh*

Depends. Talent has always been a huge turn on for me. I've yet to actually meet a famous author, but if I did . . .

Renee Collins
03-02-2010, 12:36 AM
(kidding, mostly. I'm a married woman. :) )

As for if I were to be famous, I think it would be hard. I wouldn't want my family life to suffer, so long book tours and things like that could get to be a burden. That said, if I were famous enough to not have to do as much of that promotional kind of stuff and yet still make lots of money, that could be pretty awesome. :)

aruna
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
As for if I were to be famous, I think it would be hard. I wouldn't want my family life to suffer, so long book tours and things like that could get to be a burden. That said, if I were famous enough to not have to do as much of that promotional kind of stuff and yet still make lots of money, that could be pretty awesome. :)

Yes, the book tours etc would be awful for me, but I would do them (reluctantly) if that's what it took to get sales. But we're talking of a different firmament here: authors whose books sell themselves. That would be the perfect situation for me.

kaitie
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
The nice thing about being a writer is that we're less paparazzi friendly compared to Hollywood actors. I'm a pretty private person, though, and I think I'd stay that way. I'd hope so anyway. Seems like most writers manage to stay at least somewhat private if they choose. It's the creepy insane guy showing up in your kitchen with what he thinks is a bomb that would worry me more than anything.

brokenfingers
03-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Plus, I'd finally be able to get that entourage I've always been wanting.

maestrowork
03-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Entourage. Yeah.

p.s. and not all Hollywood actors get that horde of paparazzi surrounding them either. Highly recognizable actors or directors have been known to lead normal lives without hassles. Meryl Streep, for example, seem to be able to maintain a normal life and raise a family outside of the the spotlight most of the time. It all depends on how you manage your public persona, professional duties, and privacy.

I've heard that Rowling can go and write at coffee shops again, now.

brokenfingers
03-03-2010, 01:31 PM
What? You have something against entourages?

KTC
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't care about fame or fortune...or anything that GOES with it. I thank you all.

Kitty27
03-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm a vampire author and since we tend to be a flaming mad bunch,I'd benefit from no exposure to the public and just writing. Some are sane,but they are quite rare.

The money=WIN and since I am an egomaniac,the fame=WIN.

But I think that a writer can fall into a trap of believing their own hype and forgetting what they are. A writer. When this happens,usually the writer begins to produce epic suckage in their books.

So,while I'd love the money(dreams of sitting at home and writing all day and night) I don't really write for either. I write because I love it and that keeps me going.

Cyia
03-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Isn't the "fame" threshold a little different for writers, though? Even if someone's a household name, it doesn't mean they're recognizable on the street.

I'd probably know Stephen King if I saw him or JK Rowling. Maybe Stephenie Meyer because her photo's been out in the book section at Target, but Patterson or Dan Brown or Paolini, I wouldn't know them if we were sharing an elevator. Ditto Anne Rice or Laurell K. Hamilton or Charlane Harris (all those lovely, wacky vampire authors).

"Fame" for an author is more like brand recognition than real fame.

backslashbaby
03-05-2010, 02:20 AM
We were walking around Chapel Hill with Jon Hart, and folks totally knew him on the street. We had to keep stopping for folks to take pictures with him. Maybe those folks knew there was a writer's conference in town [?], but it was still so strange for me. It was cool to see, for sure :D The people were really nice.

Not for me, though!

aadams73
03-05-2010, 02:40 AM
Entourage. Yeah.

C'mon, Ray, you know you want your very own Turtle. All boys do.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/aadams73/entourage-ferrara70_profile.jpg

brainstorm77
03-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I'd like to be able to write fulltime and make enough money to live decently. I'd be content with that.