Okay, so I've got a nerdy hobby...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Some of y'all know I like to do origami right? Now, I know we have some people on here who aren't origami fans, so be forgiving, but today I managed to do a dream model. I've wanted to do it for years, finally got the book but hadn't been able to get through the whole thing and had to wait until I could get some of the right kind of large-sized paper. Well, I've been working on this off and on over the past few days, and I'm just so thrilled. It's not perfect by any means (especially the legs and tail because it doesn't stand up right), but I actually did it!

Model: Ancient Dragon by Kamiya Satoshi (my absolute favorite artist)

4390124074_c8b56eefd1.jpg

4389355845_6e9cd3b8d2.jpg

You can google it to see what it's really supposed to look like if you're interested, but not bad for a first time, huh? Anyway, I'm just thrilled beyond reason about this one. I'm going to make another one next week for my wushu sensei and am open to color suggestions as well.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Jaw: Wow. That is so neat. Wow. .................. I would have gone nuts trying to do that. Thanks for sharing. .......wanders away.......wow......

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Took about seven hours to complete lol, so yeah I'd have gone nuts too. That's why I do it a little at a time. :)

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Very cool :Thumbs:

My kids love oragami...went to a class last Sat. Will have to show them this thread when they get in from school.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes." <-- Highly recommended! (Handkercheif required.)

ps Very Nice origami :)

Last edited:

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
... "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes." <-- Highly recommended! (Handkercheif required.)

Oooff...yeah, that is a tear jerker.

On a happier note, my eldest and I put together a little charity thing w/ an outreach group we were involved with to benefit the local kid's hospital...and this awesome lady from Japan happened to be visiting at the time and wanted to donate 1000 cranes to the hospital along with the toys and stuffed bears we gathered up.

Very cool.

pic.php

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!

Multi-coloured paper (darker colours), if you can get it. Green or blue, shiny, if you can't. This would look awesome in just about any dark colour.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks fantastic! Seven hours of work? Yeshanu's got the right idea, get some multi-colored paper in darker colors if you can, and go to town!

Leaving some :Cake: in case you need snacks during.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Liar.

Forreal!

You did that!?

Nough-ough.

Dang!

You're better than nerdy! You're supernerdy! I might even have to call you a dork.

Dork. (means I really dig you)

This has been a conversation with werri. Please make a donation on your way out.

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
Wait a minute . . . are those dead muppet pelts?

;-)

No, them pelts are valuable...I keeps them hidden in a lock box out n' the shed.

:tongue

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Took about seven hours to complete lol, so yeah I'd have gone nuts too. That's why I do it a little at a time. :)
I saw a documentary on this sort of thing a few months ago. It was amazing what they were doing (and the number of folds they predicted they were going to be doing in the future). As I recall, one of the people had quit his job as a college professor to devote his full time to paper art.

I think I saw the documentary online; I can try to find it if you're interested.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
He is really, really cool!!

I'd like him shiny, too.

Or greys. Very, very cool!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, Bettie! :D That one's gorgeous. My favorite was an angel holding a baby I did ages ago, but I don't have a picture of it. Beautiful, though. I don't get as much sewing done lately, though.

I'll have to put in a couple of pictures for some other ones I've done as well. Unfortunately I apparently lost all my old pictures, which is really disappointed because they included a stegosaurus that took 8 hours to complete. I'm going to make another one though with my awesome paper. :D

I also might take a pic of the papers I have that could work or look around at the paper store today. The only problem with the paper store here is that they're too small, I think, but I'll go back and see what I can find. :)

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, it's so neat!

(don't worry, I think we all secretly have nerdy hobbies. Aside from writing.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow congrats that takes talent.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, not a single ounce of talent. Not kidding. It's twenty years of epic failure, loads of patience, and determination. I'm not a very spatial thinker at all. It's really difficult for me to turn things around in my mind, so even following diagrams is difficult. I've been determined to get good enough to actually make some of these more complex models, though. It's definitely proof that if you keep at something for long enough you'll get there eventually. :D My next goal will be to learn to fold based on crease patterns instead of diagrams, which is where you basically have a square picture showing where the folds are. I've never thought I could do it, but then again, I was never certain I could make this, either. Just gotta work hard and keep at it! I've got the crease pattern for an awesome Cthulhu model, and I've actually even managed the base. I just have to figure out how the details work. :)