PDA

View Full Version : School Proctors

Calliopenjo
02-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Hi there everyone,

Are school proctors still called school proctors or is there another name for them now?

You know the ones that used to have that mighty whistle around their neck. Had the power of God as far as any high school student was concerned.

charlotte49ers
02-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Like hall monitors? I've never heard of a school proctor.

Calliopenjo
02-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Maybe it's a regional thing. :Shrug:

I used to live in California. School proctors were the ones that walked around looked and listened and broke up any fights or any potential fights. They were the first ones to get your attention before you were sent to the principal's office.

charlotte49ers
02-26-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I don't think I've had those in any of the schools I've gone to or worked in (I'm from the south). :-)

I hope someone else has the answer for ya!

backslashbaby
02-26-2010, 08:33 AM
I've only had Proctors at university. I'd say they sound exactly the same, but I'm still too scared of them to pretend they were anything but deities ;)

Stijn Hommes
02-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Maybe it's a regional thing. :Shrug:

I used to live in California. School proctors were the ones that walked around looked and listened and broke up any fights or any potential fights. They were the first ones to get your attention before you were sent to the principal's office. My first thought was prefect, but I guess that is a British thing...

Maryn
02-26-2010, 06:16 PM
My daughter is a grad student at a US university. She proctors undergraduate exams, so the term is in use in the US, too, but not until college-level education.

Maryn, not terribly helpful

AryaT92
02-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Only at college-level education.

ChristineR
02-26-2010, 09:04 PM
We called them narcs. This was because at least some of them were connected somehow with the police department and their main purpose was to find drugs.

This was back in the seventies though. I get the impression today's kids don't do nearly as many drugs.

Calliopenjo
02-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys. :Hug2:

Fern
02-27-2010, 01:50 AM
What Maryn said. My son had to have a proctor when he took an online college course - someone to proctor exams; they suggested using a teacher at his high school.

kuwisdelu
02-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Same here; the only proctors I've known are the ones who administer exams.

We called them that in both HS and college.

C.bronco
02-27-2010, 06:37 AM
In boarding schools, there are proctors. I forget what they do; I was a day student.

IceCreamEmpress
03-01-2010, 02:18 AM
That's a pretty localized usage of "proctor", so I'd skip it.

"Hall monitor" is by far the most common US term for this; some US private schools, and a few US public school systems, have "prefects" or "proctors", and there are some other local usages in US public schools like "leadership patrol" and "student leader."