PDA

View Full Version : Rock bottom

frisco
02-26-2010, 05:15 AM
I try to be an eternal optimist, but this past week has me more in the dumps than normal. Once again I don't make the cut as ABNA--and considering they select 1000 fiction works in the first round that kind of stings. I've been getting the normal quick rejects from agent after agent, and was hoping that I would at least go far in this contest--the bitch slap of reality didn't feel so great.

All of this comes at a time when my internet is screwed up and I've got to change providers--I can't deal with Comcast any longer and now will have to go to the slower DSL and get a new email address and will certainly mess up all contacts with agents etc.

It's just an incredibly frustrating time. I guess ABNA was the straw that broke my back--the internet didn't help.

Looks like my three years of work on "The People inside Laura Paige" is destined to be a paper weight.

Cybernaught
02-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Naa, there are a million other contests out there. Don't dig a grave for your manuscript quite yet.

Bushdoctor
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Put it away for a month. come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes

Jamesaritchie
02-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Skip the contests. They're nearly all meaningless.

Wayne K
02-26-2010, 09:36 PM
My worst reject sent me to Uncle Jim's thread, and shortly after that I signed with an agent. You can stay down or get up, which one suits you?

Get up dude. Write something else. 3 years with this book shows you can be pretty damn committed.

Greenwolf103
02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Frisco, things do look hard right now, but don't give up. Keep going. There will be times where it seems like the whole world is caving in and all you have to protect yourself with is your dream that nobody seems to be paying attention to. But you know what? It's yours. Your heart decided long ago that it's something worth standing behind, so stand behind it. Keep it as your light as you journey along this uncertain path. This is not the end, only a detour. If you need to, put that particular piece away for a while (but ALWAYS keep it front and center in your mind) and work on other things, but keep going no matter what. Good luck to you.

Cassiopeia
03-01-2010, 01:24 AM
As much as you are probably not going to want to hear this, you have to make a decision. Like Wayne said, either stay down or get up. Now---get up.

As for Comcast...ask them to forward the email. They are supposed to do this for you so that you won't miss any emails while you make the transition.

I was probably the Queen of Wanting To Giving Up, the last couple years in various parts of my life, particularly job hunting and career. Though I tried-- I felt like nothing I did would ever pan out. The direction I was trying to go just wasn't working out and it all culminated in me failing a very important certification test (I'm an honors student and I just don't fail) to get the smack upside my head I really needed. I took a month off, wallowed really well and I'm now working on a career and business that in just a short time is succeeding. Why? I'm doing what I love.

Why am I sharing this with you? You may not be pursuing what it is that naturally comes to you. You may be pursuing something that isn't your thing at all.

Perhaps, you've not hit the right genre for you. There are ways to explore that. One right here on AW.

Won't you join us tonight at 9 o'clock, EST for the AW Flash Fiction Challenge? (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137) We gather in the chat room on starchat.net (link to it is in the header of AW, right below the Paypal button. Pthom (moderator) posts a prompt in the FFC forum (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137). We have 90 minutes to come up with something and post it.

I can honestly say that diligently participating for many weeks and months and now three years, has significantly improved my writing talent.

Take the pressure off...come have some fun. You can use the exercise as a chance to experiment with different POV, tenses, genres or work on improving what you do. And you'll find us an amazing support group while you explore.

*extends a hand up* Come on, now...jump up..dust yourself off...walk it off...the hurt dissipates when you get your mind off of it.

Georgina
03-05-2010, 03:40 AM
Regarding the technical problem:

Ask Comcast to forward your email, as already stated, but don't have them forward it to your new ISP's email address. You're just setting yourself up for the same problem in the future.

Now's the time to get a permanent email addresss. Either use a free service like Gmail, or purchase a domain name and set up an email address there. (If you don't already own your name as a domain, and you can afford to buy and host it, you may as well do so now. You'll need to get it if you sell.)

Having a permanent email address is not only good for querying agents, it's handy for the rest of your life.

Cheers.

Jamesaritchie
03-05-2010, 05:33 AM
I'd also add that rejection is a lot easier to take, and acceptance generally comes much sooner, if you learn to spend six months on a book, rather than three years.

The good news is that if you really are at rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up.

Cassiopeia
03-05-2010, 05:40 AM
I'd also add that rejection is a lot easier to take, and acceptance generally comes much sooner, if you learn to spend six months on a book, rather than three years.

The good news is that if you really are at rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up.I don't agree with you on that. I don't see the relevance to the amount of time we spend in producing a book to how hard it is to take it.