PDA

View Full Version : Beta required for YA mystery-romance

oblivo
02-26-2010, 01:16 AM
I’ve lost the ability to be objective looking over my 70,000-word YA mystery-romance Undertow, so I’m seeking honest betas to look at the plot and characterisation, and tell me whether there’s something there or if I should abandon ship. Read as much or as little as you like, any critique welcome.

I had formally put the query through Query Hell (which was massively helpful, thanks to all involved), so I’ll post the start:

Sixteen-year-old Kat is a self-proclaimed pain-in-the-ass, and the President’s daughter. Hello kickin’ ’round rocks at some elite island reform school.

With a new name, new look and no Secret Service stiffs glued to her side, she might finally get a whiff of normality. If that means sneaking out only to be drugged and abandoned by your new ‘BFFs’, so be it. But nothing’s normal when you wake to find everyone’s gone, everyone except Logan – the sophomore sex god.

PM me if you’d like to discuss. I’m happy to swap for other YA, but being new to this, you’ll have to take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Thanks in advance. Note there is some laungauge and sexual elements.

oblivo
03-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Anyone? Even just a skim or a few chapters?

oblivo
04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
A beta graciously looked over the first two chapters for me (incredibly helpful, thankyou), but they also suggested I find another beta more familiar with edgy YA for a second opinion on one of their suggestions before I take it on board. Can any edgy YA experts help out?

Niki_G
04-06-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not an expert, but I like to read edgy YA and I attempt to write it. I think I do. At least some of the time. :) I have a back logged to-do list, but I'd be willing to look at the first 1-2 chapters for you. PM me if interested.

~ Niki

Edie Hart
04-07-2010, 04:33 AM
I read and write romantic suspense/mystery, so I don't have a lot of experience with YA. However, if you would like me to read the first several chapters just to get another set of eyes on it, i'd be happy to.

Jodie
04-07-2010, 04:41 AM
I am writing YA right now, so perhaps we could swap.

oblivo
04-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Okay, I've had a few betas look over the first two chapters, which has been extremely helpful, but now I'm looking for somebody to continue on with the whole, edgy MS. Any takers?

Mayfield
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I write edgy YA mystery type stuff (er, lots of sex/language)...would be interested in a swap, if you're up for it. PM me if you want to chat more.

oblivo
06-21-2010, 05:42 AM
I've got to say a huge thanks to the beta/s who have helped so far, but I'm just after one or two more to read the MS in its entireity. I don't need line by line, even chapter by chapter, critique. I'm just after overall thoughts at the end. As always, I'm happy to do the same for anyone willing to come on board.