• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta required for YA mystery-romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve lost the ability to be objective looking over my 70,000-word YA mystery-romance Undertow, so I’m seeking honest betas to look at the plot and characterisation, and tell me whether there’s something there or if I should abandon ship. Read as much or as little as you like, any critique welcome.

I had formally put the query through Query Hell (which was massively helpful, thanks to all involved), so I’ll post the start:

Sixteen-year-old Kat is a self-proclaimed pain-in-the-ass, and the President’s daughter. Hello kickin’ ’round rocks at some elite island reform school.

With a new name, new look and no Secret Service stiffs glued to her side, she might finally get a whiff of normality. If that means sneaking out only to be drugged and abandoned by your new ‘BFFs’, so be it. But nothing’s normal when you wake to find everyone’s gone, everyone except Logan – the sophomore sex god.

PM me if you’d like to discuss. I’m happy to swap for other YA, but being new to this, you’ll have to take my suggestions with a grain of salt. Thanks in advance. Note there is some laungauge and sexual elements.

Last edited:

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
A beta graciously looked over the first two chapters for me (incredibly helpful, thankyou), but they also suggested I find another beta more familiar with edgy YA for a second opinion on one of their suggestions before I take it on board. Can any edgy YA experts help out?

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
I'm not an expert, but I like to read edgy YA and I attempt to write it. I think I do. At least some of the time. :) I have a back logged to-do list, but I'd be willing to look at the first 1-2 chapters for you. PM me if interested.

~ Niki

Edie Hart

Registered
Reaction score
I read and write romantic suspense/mystery, so I don't have a lot of experience with YA. However, if you would like me to read the first several chapters just to get another set of eyes on it, i'd be happy to.

Jodie

writer in the making
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing YA right now, so perhaps we could swap.

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I've had a few betas look over the first two chapters, which has been extremely helpful, but now I'm looking for somebody to continue on with the whole, edgy MS. Any takers?

Mayfield

sleeping the sleep of the sleepless
Registered
Reaction score
I write edgy YA mystery type stuff (er, lots of sex/language)...would be interested in a swap, if you're up for it. PM me if you want to chat more.

oblivo

Registered
Reaction score
I've got to say a huge thanks to the beta/s who have helped so far, but I'm just after one or two more to read the MS in its entireity. I don't need line by line, even chapter by chapter, critique. I'm just after overall thoughts at the end. As always, I'm happy to do the same for anyone willing to come on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.