PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Computer

rhymegirl
08-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Since we writers are always staring at them....

If you had to choose a pet name for your computer, what would it be?

scfirenice
08-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Man your getting desperate... Uh, I don't know...let's see. "Oh my God if you go down my life is over."

scfirenice
08-11-2005, 06:43 PM
you are....not your

aspier
08-11-2005, 06:51 PM
rhymegirl! then I can shout at it when my poems don't fall into place 'come on! boy, rhyme girl'

ahh silly! I couldn't leave the joke! (mine is called 'Sara' = most beautiful name in the world ... before I used to call her 'Suzy Wong and the Palace of Joy' but that was equally silly, no? Oh my, how far are our minds in a dream world = starting to call virtual reality machines pet names but then again yeah and also and so on)

Poppy
08-11-2005, 06:59 PM
My computer already does have a name.

Precious.

As in my precious. I also have a Smeagol "mascot" sitting on the tower.

rhymegirl
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Man you are getting desperate... Uh, I don't know...let's see. "Oh my God if you go down my life is over."

Not desperate. I really DO spend an awful lot of time looking at my computer screen. I look at IT more than I look at my husband's cute little face. Somehow that just seems WRONG. So I figure, if I'm spending so much time with "someone else", I might as well give it a name.

Maybe Pooky.

StoryG27
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Usually I talk to my computer only when it's doing something bad, and what I call it at those times cannot be posted here.

sgtsdaughter
08-11-2005, 07:05 PM
been naming these things for years. the pc is "herbie jr." because the one before him was herbie (that was a 486x--obviously a loooong time ago). and the lap top is lucendia.

naming is good . . . gives you something to add to the foul names you spout out when malfunctions happen. :D

Pat~
08-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Never considered it before, but she'd have to be Scarlett (named for my own shadow side, in fact)...flighty, stubborn, and occasionally Gone With the Wind.

scfirenice
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I've decided on George. It has to be male or I wouldn't be glued to it constantly...unless is looked like Anjelina Jolie, which it does not. George it is then.

rhymegirl
08-11-2005, 07:22 PM
you are....not your

By the way, I like your new title.

Dawno
08-11-2005, 08:06 PM
The laptop I have at home is just "the Vaio" but the one I use for work is the Harbinger of Doom.

JAlpha
08-11-2005, 08:11 PM
I named my computer, Hemingway, because it has a "built-in shi* detector".

rhymegirl
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
Early this afternoon I couldn't get on the Internet at all to do my research and do emailing, so I was calling my computer something....well, kinda like this: You %%$#%$&*((*&^%$## piece of crap!

PattiTheWicked
08-12-2005, 01:21 AM
Since we writers are always staring at them....

If you had to choose a pet name for your computer, what would it be?

Raphael. And he'd be 6'4", have curly dark hair a girl can run her fingers through, a great sense of humor, know how to make coffee and be happy to offer sexual gratuities.

rhymegirl
08-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Raphael. And he'd be 6'4", have curly dark hair a girl can run her fingers through, a great sense of humor, know how to make coffee and be happy to offer sexual gratuities.

Wow. A computer could do all that? Probably some day they will make one like that.

aadams73
08-12-2005, 02:16 AM
We have five computers hooked up to our home network. My desktop's name is "Clitty."

Don't ask. :ROFL:

And my laptop is "Banjo" as in Paterson.

rhymegirl
08-12-2005, 02:19 AM
We have five computers hooked up to our home network. My desktop's name is "Clitty."

Oh come on!! :ROFL:

You simply MUST explain that one!!

Carole
08-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Mine already has a name as well.

~**~Thing~**~

I love being able to say, "thank you, Thing!"

I am still trying to figure out how to add that Addams family WAV file to my email notification instead of the barking puppy I have now.

Richard
08-12-2005, 02:31 AM
(glances at computers) I tend to name mine after mythological characters. Right now, I have Cassandra, Nausicaa, Mara and Rusalka.

PattiTheWicked
08-12-2005, 03:02 AM

Don't ask. :ROFL:

I'm asking. You can't just tease us like that and not explain.

Vanessa
08-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Hmm...a name for my notebook? I call it My Gateway to the dough.....http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smilehooray.gif.

robeiae
08-12-2005, 04:48 AM
"Hurry up, dammit!" (I call it that most of the time, so I guesss that should be its name)

Rob :)

veinglory
08-12-2005, 04:59 AM
My computer has a name, it's called Wraith2

Unique
08-12-2005, 04:35 PM
"Hurry up, dammit!" (I call it that most of the time, so I guesss that should be its name)

That sounds familiar. Sometimes it's 'ya ol' slow thang' for short.
It's really quite rude since the new one is at least 5x faster than the old one.

mmm... pancakes
08-12-2005, 06:24 PM
This thread made me realise how desperately boring I've been, referring to my laptop as 'The Laptop'. But I think I've come up with a new name for my hideously expensive "Can do it all" computer: TOM.

Which, of course, stands for Totally Ordinary Machine.

Another one crossed my mind: OBGYN (Obediant bastard giving you nothing).

(I tried really hard to make something clever with PANCAKES, but failed miserably :( )

sassandgroove
08-12-2005, 10:51 PM
I have a Think Pad, so I named it Jennypad, (like lilypad) and have a Frog icon when I sign on. :)

Of course, that is the one I have at home. I don't go online much at home, mostly I visit here from work (shhh) and my computer is called RECEPTION. Even though my title is Office Administrator...i'm just a glorified secretary! :Headbang:

robeiae
08-12-2005, 11:27 PM
(I tried really hard to make something clever with PANCAKES, but failed miserably :( )
SYRUP (Saving Your Retainable Unfinished Prose)...

Too utilitarian?

Eveningsdawn
08-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Upstairs computer would be... Nico. Because I like that name.

Downstairs computer would be... Yurtle. (like Yurtle the Turtle. It's not too quick, compared with Nico.)

My laptop is Jane. As in Plain Jane. It wordprocesses and plays solitaire, and that's it.