PDA

View Full Version : Bars

Stunted
02-25-2010, 01:24 PM
Where, behind a bar, are glasses kept? And what are...those...hosy thing that spit out cranberry juice...what are they called, and what are they like to use? (In case you can't tell, I need a lot of help!)

alleycat
02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
It depends. Stemware is often kept on overhead racks (hung underside down), while other glassware are kept on lower shelves either beneath the bar itself or in a cabinet behind the bar. Older bars don't usually have the overhead racks.

There are all kinds of dispensers for bar use. If you thinking of those pressurized dispensers, imagine using the spray nozzle on your kitchen sink at low pressure.

Does that help?

ETA: If the exact names are important, you might want to say what the setting is. The terms could be different in the UK and US.

Ms Hollands
02-25-2010, 04:18 PM
I worked in a bar in England where all glasses were kept under the bar, and always on little plastic mats with holes in them to drain off any excess water from the dishwasher (and probably for health and safety?). The space behind us, in view of the customer, was always reserved to display drinks.

I think we called the hose thing the tap (eg, "Where's the lemonade?" "It's on the tap") but I don't know if this was just in our bar or not. They're fun to use, and yes, on hot nights after closing, we sometimes sprayed soda water at each other from it as a gag. For me, it was like pressing a button on the Nintendo Wii and waiting the seemingly agonising amount of time for the liquid to fill the glass.

Wayne K
02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
I've never seen cranberry juice, but the spray thing is a soda gun. Juices we kept in containers. Glasses we kept under the bar, but AC is right, there are places where they hang overhead. Sometimes beer mugs are kept in a freezer.

stitchingirl
02-25-2010, 06:17 PM
I hated those things. They reminded me of turning on faucets outside and that hissing sound and little bit of kick when the water comes out.

I don't know how many times I've almost dropped the hose. I have crappy strength in my hands.

Wayne K
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm old, so I remember the days when we used soda bottles.(I miss the thick green Coke bottles) Believe me, the soda gun is better. Bottles were messy

I used to tend the lunch hour in my father's bar when I was 12. He'd be thrown in jail for allowing that today

Ms Hollands
02-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Those bottles are still used in France. Nothing seems to be on the soft drink tap. Their glasses usually hang above the bar somewhere too, but not always.

RJK
02-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Glasses on a drainboard under the bar, stemware above if the bar is designed for that. The dispenser for water and carbonated soft drinks was called a Barmaster, where I hung out. Juices were kept in quart or two-liter bottles, or plastic jugs. Bar wine came in two boxes, red and white.

Gugland
02-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Bars & restaurants are some of the most popular businesses to start, and among the least successful. Therefore, there's a lot of surplus equipment out there. You could try searching craigslist for "restaurant equipment" and see what comes up - that might get you some slang terms for those items as well.

mscelina
02-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Glasses were kept wherever there was free space. Rocks glasses are usually kept on webbing to get the last of the sanitized water out of the clean bar glass, otherwise a person's first sip of their drink would taste like bar sanitizer. Nasty. Pint glasses, mugs, pilsners and brewtus glasses (big draft beer glasses) are kept in a mug cooler--a freezer basically--on racks so they'll be frozen when you pour the beer. Wine glasses (big round bowl for red, narrow tall bowl for white, extremely narrow flute for champagne) are usually hung from racks underneath the shelves of the bar. The drink station (where the bartender makes drinks) has an ice bin below and a drink mat (drainer mat) on the bar to catch excess liquid. There's usually a garnish tray, straws and bev naps or coasters there too, along with toothpicks and salt. (fruit and margaritas) Standard bar garnishes for the tray--lemon wedges, lime wedges, cherries, orange slices and olives. The soda dispenser is called 'the gun' and usually will have coke, diet coke, seven up, ginger ale, soda water, water and tonic water buttons. Juices (orange, tomato, grapefruit, and cranberry) are usually kept in speed pourers (plastic bottles with colored nozzles on top). So is sour mix (looks like lemonade) which is used for a lot of mixed drinks. Depending on the recipes, different bars keep different things in ready convenience for the bartenders, but what I've described here is what you'll find at practically any general bar whether it's a neighborhood bar or a franchise restaurant. Other things to think about--shot glasses, jiggers (measuring cups for liquor amounts--usually 3/4 oz on one side and 1 1/4 oz on the other), metal shakers ( to mix drinks) a blender (frozen drinks-blech) and various condiments for mixed drinks--tabasco sauce, worchestershire sauce, angostura bitters, sweet and dry vermouth, sugar (to rim the glasses for daiquiris and shots like a lemon drop), kosher salt (to rim margarita glasses--which would be kept with the stemware on the undershelf wire racks, by the way), grenadine and Rose's Lime juice.

mtrenteseau
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
The most common brand of soda gun is WunderBar - http://www.wunderbar.com/products/beverage/soft-drink

The "pre-mix" model is the old original style. "Post-mix" have the option of more buttons and can handle juices and non-carbonated drinks more easily.

The terms refer to whether a carbonated soft drink comes out before or after it's mixed. "Pre-mix" the syrup and soda water come out separately; "post-mix" they come out like you were pouring it from a bottle. So the terms are backwards from what you'd think - "pre-mix" means it's not "pre-mixed."

RobinGBrown
02-26-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.sodaparts.com/prod01.htm

http://www.wunderbar.com/

Stunted
02-27-2010, 07:02 AM
Thank you! : )

shaldna
03-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Where, behind a bar, are glasses kept?

Wine glasses, brandy galsses and champagne flutes usually hang upside down above the bar. Tall (half pint) glasses and pint glasses are kept just behind the bar, or at the back of the bar under the optics. They too are kept upside down.

And what are...those...hosy thing that spit out cranberry juice...what are they called, and what are they like to use? (In case you can't tell, I need a lot of help!)

We just called them a pump.