PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my agent.

DennyCrane
02-25-2010, 07:41 AM
After a year and a half of edits & patiently waiting through agency mergers, he's decided to focus on celebrity and nonfiction.

Devastated.

AryaT92
02-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Cheer up, if you landed one once you can land another. :)

Amarie
02-25-2010, 07:51 AM
After a year and a half of edits & patiently waiting through agency mergers, he's decided to focus on celebrity and nonfiction.

Devastated.

I'm so sorry. Is it a large enough agency where you can go with another one there?

Cranky
02-25-2010, 07:52 AM
Ouch. :Hug2:

Robin
02-25-2010, 08:06 AM
:Hug2:

Cella
02-25-2010, 08:08 AM
OMG!

**BIG hugs**

sorry :(

kaitie
02-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Oh man. *Hugs* Can you at least get a referral from him? He might be able to point you toward someone who can help. At the very least, you've got a cleaner manuscript to submit with now, right? This sucks royally. :/

Sage
02-25-2010, 08:25 AM
There seems to be a lot of this going around lately

(The good news is that there also seems to be a lot of people getting replacements quickly too)

Definitely ask about referrals.

Calla Lily
02-25-2010, 04:39 PM
:Hug2:

AryaT92
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
There seems to be a lot of this going around lately

(The good news is that there also seems to be a lot of people getting replacements quickly too)

Definitely ask about referrals.

Really? This is the first time I saw it on this site. Yikes!

Alpha Echo
02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Aw, I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll find another agent!

kellion92
02-25-2010, 05:27 PM
So sorry, {{Denny}}. Yes, as Sage said, we've seen a lot of agent switches lately on the site. It must feel devastating but you will land on your feet. And now you have an even more awesome book to query. (And yes, get referrals)

nitaworm
02-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I so sorry for you. Don't give up. Keep at it. What do you write?

ink wench
02-25-2010, 05:35 PM
:Hug2: Ugh, so sorry. I went through losing an agent in Jan., as did a bunch of us. It will work out! And maybe for the better - you never know. I know it's hard but try to stay positive.

HappyCamper
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you'll find another -and even better - agent soon.

Wayne K
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
What they said, but I'd like to add that if the agent isn't enthusiastic about your work, you're better off finding someone else. If you got this one, you'll get another. Sucks you went backwards, but dust yourself off and get back at it.

Your friends here believe in you, so I do too.

stormie
02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
One agency even closed its doors and the one who ran it left agenting all together.

:Hug2: You'll find another--even better--agent!

Toothpaste
02-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Really? This is the first time I saw it on this site. Yikes!

Yeah. I'd be one of those people.

In January the head of my agency called to let me know that my agent was leaving and it was probably best for me to find someone else. I got another agent quite quickly fortunately, though. If you want to read the tale - I wrote extensively about it at my blog (http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-have-new-agent.html).

It's a terrifying moment, but this isn't the time to feel that fear. It's time to go into survival mode. Definitely ask for referrals. Ask if there's anyone else at the agency who might be interested. Do you have any other connections with agents? You can bypass the query stage if you have such relationships.

The best news (and this truly is awesome news) is that your MS has yet to be shopped so you have a work that has been edited and ready to send out to publishers. That is a very huge resource. I have known authors who were dumped by their agents, but who had also had their MS already shopped around and rejected. This meant that it was really tough for them to find an agent willing to represent a work that had already been through the mill as it were.

So you are in an excellent position. It's doable. You will get a new agent. Remember: never give up, never surrender!

Lyra Jean
02-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Good luck finding a new agent. While it sucks at least your agent didn't keep you on and then do nothing with your manuscript. Or possibly worse not do a good job at placing your manuscript. Now you are free to find a new agent who will be excited about your work.

Calla Lily
02-25-2010, 06:51 PM
So you are in an excellent position. It's doable. You will get a new agent. Remember: never give up, never surrender!

This. In late 2008 my first agent closed shop. I yelled and swore for about a day. Then I hit the Query trail with a vengeance. Six months later I had a terrific new agent.

You can do it.

skippingstone
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Denny, you're gonna get a better agent out of all this turmoil. Just get up off the mat and keep swinging 'til the bell rings. Then have Mickey cut you so you can get back in there for more.*

*I'm using a Rocky reference 'cause every guy I know loves that movie.

DennyCrane
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks, all!

My (former) agent is getting together a list and will be helping me move forward. He's a good guy and I feel for him and his frustration over this tough market. I have a few author friends who are helping, so we'll see.

Y'all are right, though. It could have been worse - we could have been on submission.

My wife had the quote of the night: "Wait, after all this time he's deciding to not represent fiction? That's like dating someone for two years, planning a wedding and then waking up one day and saying, 'You know, you're not my type.'"

Like we've all heard before, it's not about the rejection, it's about how you react to the rejection. So, I just sent out my first query in nearly 2 years. And it came back 10 minutes later, rejected. HA! They're closed until April. Man, I've missed querying. ;)

brainstorm77
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
:(

Barbara R.
02-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks, all!

My wife had the quote of the night: "Wait, after all this time he's deciding to not represent fiction? That's like dating someone for two years, planning a wedding and then waking up one day and saying, 'You know, you're not my type.'"

Your wife's got it right. IMO, this guy owes you something. On the other hand, you got good editorial help and your book is stronger now than when you started. It sucks that this happened and you have to go the query route again, but it's not like lightning striking twice. There's a reason he took you on in the first place, and it's the same reason other agents will be interested. Good luck.

stormie
02-25-2010, 11:11 PM
So, I just sent out my first query in nearly 2 years. And it came back 10 minutes later, rejected. HA! They're closed until April. Man, I've missed querying. ;)
Yeah, lots of fun!

(You'll find another agent soon. :) )

Perks
02-25-2010, 11:24 PM
We'll be right here when the next celebration thread comes through for you. So sorry, DennyCrane, that's awful.

TrixieLox
02-26-2010, 02:19 PM
So sorry to hear this but I believe in fate, mebbe it's meant to be.

Toothpaste, I saw Becky left DA and thought about you. She gave me a wonderful rejection scribbled down a side of a form rejection, bless her, very nice about my work. Pleased you got another agent pretty quick!

triceretops
02-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep, my last agent got so hung up on celebs and non-fiction, his entire fiction stable lanquished and even disapeared off his website. That was the last straw. I dumped him. Went to war with a staggering query output to every agent in the world. Four months later I had four offers. I then began writing rejection letters. Buuhahaaaaaa.

You can do it too. It was fun for me. I love the research and letters.

Tri

DennyCrane
02-27-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys! Been talking to author friends who are approaching their agents on my behalf, and retooling my query in the meantime.

I feel I'm due some good luck. Though, honestly, I think I'll stay away from any plane flights. You know. Just until I'm sure. ;)

madderblue
02-27-2010, 01:47 AM
So glad you're feeling better. You'll snap up someone wonderful in no time. And, yeah, no plane flying. Just in case. ;)