Tim Burton

Jeanette Rose

Passion: the source of creativity
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't know exactly where to put this, but I just had a really interesting idea:

What if Tim Burton wrote novels? I think he'd be great at it, personally! I know he's a movie director and a part of his masterpiece comes from having people see the scene rather than imagine it. All the same, I think he could pull it off!

How about the rest of you?

(By the way, I think he's a great director! I just wonder what a book would be like if he tried his luck at one.)

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, he has published his fair share of picture books (Nightmare Before Christmas started out as an illustrated poem), so I see him closer to Gorey than to Gaiman, when it comes to the matter of written fiction.

Jeanette Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually never heard of Gorey until now. I Googled him and found his illustrations. I do have to agree with you having seen them. They resemble Tim Burton's style fairly well.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite a novel (or even close to it), but have you seen The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy?

Jeanette Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! I really enjoyed it. It's like a very dark A Light in the Attic.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since you're a big Tim Burton fan, you might enjoy the rebroadcast of the Tim Burton interview on the Charlie Rose show. It's available on Hulu. It was an interesting interview.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually never heard of Gorey until now. I Googled him and found his illustrations. I do have to agree with you having seen them. They resemble Tim Burton's style fairly well.

Or, more likely, Tim's resemble his ;)

Jeanette Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Or, more likely, Tim's resemble his ;)
Very true! Sorry for my blunder there. :3

I'm just looking for it now. I love interviews with Tim Burton. He conveys this, "Yeah, I'm weird, but so what?" attitude that I really admire. Then again, it was his twisted (in a good way) imagination that made him successful. :D

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite movie he's directed is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. I also really liked Corpse Bride and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I wasn't so impressed with Sweeney Todd, and I'm having mixed feelings about the new Alice in Wonderland.

Not-director-wise, I aboslutely love The Nightmare Before Christmas (though the first act of that movie is significantly better than the second).

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Once a couple of friends and I discussed which was the best Tim Burton flick, my vote goes for The Big Fish.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Once a couple of friends and I discussed which was the best Tim Burton flick, my vote goes for The Big Fish.

Agreed. A lovely film. My dad even liked it, even if the Auburn scenes weren't filmed at his alma mater. He generally doesn't like anything I like, but he loved Big Fish.

Burton and I were born the same day. I'm curious about what time he was born. That would be weird if we were born at exactly the same time, wouldn't it? Or would it, I'm not sure.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Though keep in mind Maestrowork that while directing Batman he said he doesn't like comics (I know there's a difference, but I don't know if Burton knew the difference in the late 80's).