Not open for further replies.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
my mother asked me a question and I truly didn't know, so I come here to the fount of all knowledge...

if someone decides to write a cookbook, where do they get the receipes from?

what I mean is that do they have to obtain permission from all the different cookbooks they may be plucking receipes from for a certain theme, or do they fall under "common usage" or some such thang... do you have to actually "change" the receipe to be able to print it in your own cookbook?

it would seem to me, knowing nothing, that you can't copyright a receipe but that's just my ignorant viewpoint... otherwise The Joy of Cooking would have a ton of requests daily for reprints, yes?

so, in a nutshell - how DO new cookbooks hit the market with all the receipes already out there, and how do they cover themselves legally from being sued by the housewife who's been using that biscuit receipe since Creation?

please and thank you!

D.J.

Registered
Reaction score
Sheryl Nantus said:
my mother asked me a question and I truly didn't know, so I come here to the fount of all knowledge...

if someone decides to write a cookbook, where do they get the receipes from?

please and thank you!

I wrote a couple, but they were for monitoring carb intake. I made up my recipes and ideas. Mostly all were original, but I did use a few "ideas" from others with their permission.
If you adapt a recipe I believe it is by 30%, it's yours. >>Not a lawyer :)<<

TashaGoddard

Away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
That's a very interesting question.

I do know that I have seen recipe books where the author says something like 'This is so-and-so's recipe that I've tweaked slightly.' or something like that. As I understand it you can't patent a recipe, but does that mean you can't copyright it either?

I mean, there are some recipes that are going to always be pretty similar, aren't there? If you add a courgette (zucchini?) to the recipe does that make it yours?

Sorry, I'm not actually answering your question at all, just asking more!

Status
Not open for further replies.