PDA

View Full Version : Royalties question

ania
02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Is this the right forum?

Anyone knows how common / standard it is for a small press to have royalties cacluated based on the net, not on the price list?

Thanks!

Deb Kinnard
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
Very common. All of the small presses I've been with have calculated this way. This is because the third party sellers such as Fictionwise, Amazon and the like take so high a percentage of the cover price from the publisher. To calculate on net then spreads the risk. Just not to the third party seller, LOL. They make out and we're stuck looking at a percentage of net.

ania
02-24-2010, 11:58 PM
Very common. All of the small presses I've been with have calculated this way. This is because the third party sellers such as Fictionwise, Amazon and the like take so high a percentage of the cover price from the publisher. To calculate on net then spreads the risk. Just not to the third party seller, LOL. They make out and we're stuck looking at a percentage of net.

Thanks! That's very helpful.

CheshireCat
02-25-2010, 04:46 AM
It may be common among small presses, but not so the major publishers -- not on print books. On hardcover, trade, and mass market, the majority of authors are paid royalties based on cover price. The same companies, however, are fighting hard to pay writers on net for ebook editions. And they're mostly winning.

ania
02-25-2010, 06:47 AM
It may be common among small presses, but not so the major publishers -- not on print books. On hardcover, trade, and mass market, the majority of authors are paid royalties based on cover price. The same companies, however, are fighting hard to pay writers on net for ebook editions. And they're mostly winning.

Thanks. What would be the royalties on net vs. list? Are they the same, percentage wise? If the list price is about 10%, is it the same for an ebook, if it is based on the net? Does anyone know? Thank you!

veinglory
02-25-2010, 07:10 AM
It is also not common for epublishers (as opposed to ebooks issued by commercial print publishers). Net would be a red flag there too. The thing is you do not know what "net" is compared to list unless the contract specifies exactly which costs may be deducted before paying royalties (vendor fees? Cost of Cover Art? Overheads?)

ishtar'sgate
02-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Is this the right forum?

Anyone knows how common / standard it is for a small press to have royalties cacluated based on the net, not on the price list?

Thanks!
Mine is based on the original list price. Net is pretty iffy and not something I'd ever agree to. Is their definition of 'net' specified in the contract? You'd want to know what they're basing their calculations on - exactly.

ania
02-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Mine is based on the original list price. Net is pretty iffy and not something I'd ever agree to. Is their definition of 'net' specified in the contract? You'd want to know what they're basing their calculations on - exactly.

It is not currently specified, but I'm trying to negotiate to at least specify. It is a small press, so I was never intent on actually making any money out of my novel (literary / experimental debut, not a bestseller potential) but it bothers me that it is not specified, and that I almost missed that it was "net" and not "list".

Thank you for responses.

CAWriter
02-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Is this the right forum?

Thanks!

Not that it pertains to your situation, but it is also common (dare I say, standard) among CBA publishers, even the biggest ones who may be subdivisions of the big 6. Thomas Nelson, Zondervan and others very typically have contracts with royalties based on net.

The theory is that the initial percentage is somewhat higher, but the reality tends to be that the overall royalty is lower than another publisher would pay on list price at a lower percentage. Unfortunately, that tends to be non-negotiable with those publishers for all but perhaps the biggest selling authors.

Jamesaritchie
02-25-2010, 07:08 PM
It's far too common, and small presses have no more reason to do this than large presses. I simply will not deal with anyone who does this.

veinglory
02-25-2010, 07:19 PM
However much money the book makes, publishers should be transperant in the contract about how much of it they get to keep.