firstwriter or writersmarket or other tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaWhite

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wizardessbooks.com
I'm looking for literary competitions and magazines for my short stories. There is so much information on the Internet, that I feel I'm wasting hours without much result!

My stories are from 2,000 to 10,000 words in length.

They are mostly fantasy, but I've started writing a new type of story, combining fantasy elements with Eastern philosophy - I'm not sure what market it would appeal to, maybe a New Age magazine. I did an Internet search, and am floundering!

I came across two websites which claim to help writers find what they need quickly: firstwriter.com and writersmarket.com. They both require paying for a subscription.

Can anybody give me some advice? Are aither firstwriter.com or writersmarket.com really helpful?

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Last edited:

Greer

Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
Here are a few magazines that publish literary short stories:

http://www.pshares.org/ (Ploughshares)

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/writer_guidelines.html (The Sun)

http://www.glimmertrainpress.com/writer/html/index2.asp (Glimmer Train Press)

As for Writer's Market, I use it. The New 2006 Deluxe edition gives you the book and online access for a year for $32.99 on Amazon.com. Of course, with any listing, you should cross-reference with that particular magazine's web site.

These are good journals, but none of them publish fantasy stories, or genre stories period, for that matter. Definitely check out a copy of writer's market. I know there are other sites, like ralan's, that list genre markets. good luck.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Uh, Anna did say, "I'm looking for literary competitions and magazines for my short stories. " And I have seen stories in those publications that might be a good fit for what she's written.

And, remember, those were suggestions. And yes, I use ralan.com a lot. Doubt many of the listings would be for her. But you never know. Again, these are all just suggestions.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
Anna, the first place you should send your work
is to the magazines you read. What are your
favorite mag? That's where you start.

Next, go to ralan.com and check out the pro
markets. You should always send your work
to the best-paying, highest-circulation, most-
presitgious markets first. You don't want to
publish in Vampire Dan's Story Emporium if
Asimov's would have bought the story.

When you skim through Ralan's listings, look
for mags you recognize first.

Also, I'd skip contests and look at anthologies
instead. Just as you should submit to mags
you read, take notice of the editors on the
anthologies you read and look for their names
in the listings.

And if you haven't already, check out Black
Gate
. They're a pretty good fantasy magazine,
even though they have long response times.
They did just buy another one of my stories.

:)

Greer

Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
Uh, Anna did say, "I'm looking for literary competitions and magazines for my short stories. " And I have seen stories in those publications that might be a good fit for what she's written.

And, remember, those were suggestions. And yes, I use ralan.com a lot. Doubt many of the listings would be for her. But you never know. Again, these are all just suggestions.

stormie, i wasn't trying to bash your suggestions -- just trying to steer anna in a more helpful direction, as those three magazines won't look at fantasy stories of any type. sorry if the comment rubbed you the wrong way.

La Reine

Registered
Reaction score
HConn said:
Anna, the first place you should send your work
is to the magazines you read. What are your
favorite mag? That's where you start.

Next, go to ralan.com and check out the pro
markets. You should always send your work
to the best-paying, highest-circulation, most-
presitgious markets first. You don't want to
publish in Vampire Dan's Story Emporium if
Asimov's would have bought the story.

When you skim through Ralan's listings, look
for mags you recognize first.

Also, I'd skip contests and look at anthologies
instead. Just as you should submit to mags
you read, take notice of the editors on the
anthologies you read and look for their names
in the listings.

And if you haven't already, check out Black
Gate
. They're a pretty good fantasy magazine,
even though they have long response times.
They did just buy another one of my stories.

:)

Why anthologies instead of contests? Is there some hidden benefit of anthologies I don't know about? By the way, I write mainstream/literary.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
La Reine, I don't know much about the mainstream short fiction world, but I do know contests are more accepted in that world.

For fantasy stories, there are enough outlets for your work that you don't have to enter a contest to be published, *especially* one that charges fees. The slush pile is the only contest anyone needs to enter.

And anthologies pay pretty well and they stay on the shelf a long time, if they're pro level.

But that's fantasy/science fiction.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Marketing literary short stories

Anna, you say your stories are fantasy cum Eastern philosophy which doesn't sound like literary fiction to me. But if you are sure you have written literary fiction then I have a few suggestions.

1. Check out all those websites and READ what the magazines publish. If you enjoying reading the magazine then it's probably a market for you. You can often buy a sample copy there. This is worth doing not only for the obvious reason of seeing what the editors like but also because when you buy a literary magazine you will often find that other literary magazines advertise their journal or competition there. I usually learn about four or five other magazines from reading one.

2. Here is the Canadian literary magazine website
http://www.placesforwriters.com/journals.htl

3. There aren't many literary anthologies but the competitions run by the magazines do count among the editors of such magazines. Also your story may not win but the editor might like it enough to ask to publish it any way. That has happened to me several times.

Many of the Canadian literary magazine competitions charge a highish entry fee but it includes a year's subscription to the magazine as well. This is a great way to support the magazine and read enough copies to know what the editor(s) wants.

4. In America there is a specific market book for short stories that covers Canada and the USA. It's the 'Novel and Short Story' markets book from the Writer's Digest people who do all the USA markets' books. It comes out every July/August I believe.

5. It takes time to learn about your markets so don't rush. If you are an organised writer who can write every day then you can profitably spend one hour a day researching markets and it pays dividends when you have short stories to send out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
conests

In truth, you need just about every guide you can get your hands on. Hit and miss doesn;t work well when looking for markets. You also need to read as many magazines as possible. It's very difficult to sell to a magazine unless you read several issues.

About 99% of all contests for any genre are worthless, even if you win. Anthologies are hugely better than all but a tiny handfull of contests.

AnnaWhite

VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wizardessbooks.com
I'd like to thank everybody very much for all the replies.

I started writing short stories as a stepping stone towards selling novels to agents, since I'd heard that normally they will not even look at a submission unless a writer has a few writing credits, such as winning contests or having at least a few short stories published.

I lost my first novel (and its completed sequel) to that scam publisher, PublishAmerica, but I'll get it back eventually. I started writing a second full-length fantasy novel, but left it aside in favour of short stories, for a while anyway.

Actually, I never liked short stories much, and resisted writing them. I also never read magazines. Finding one I like will take time, I can see that. I've always preferred to plunge into the wonderful and complex world of the full-length novel, rather than dabble in what felt to me like the intellectual twist of the short story. But, interestingly, I'm writing my third short story, and thoroughly enjoying the process!

So you never know what tomorrow will bring...

vegiboy

Why not concentrate on the novel and write short stories (more for fun) on the days you can't focus on the novel?

Status
Not open for further replies.