PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Pagan brains...where are ya?

Carole
08-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Howdy! I am curious about something. Well, I am curious about a lot of things, but I'll try to keep it down to one this time.

The book I am elbows deep in right now is not metaphysical in any way, but everything else I am writing is. Do you tend to stick with a more Pagan genre or do you hop about to whatever floats your boat when writing?

Sarita
08-11-2005, 03:51 PM
Great question, Carole. Lately, I've been sticking to Pagan themed books. But in general, I read anything... ANYTHING. Mostly classics with a few contemporary bits thrown into the mix.

Maybe this helps keep us more well-rounded?

Carole
08-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Maybe this helps keep us more well-rounded?

I have always been a book fanatic. My husband heard once that when you read a book, you should also be reading another. Switch off between the two. I like to do this and I will always find correlations between the two no matter what they are about.

I can't seem to write about anything other than spirituality these days, though, except for my BIG project. That thing is going to be the death of me, I can just TELL! Please...let me find the cut off point for this thing before it takes over the whole house!

Have you ever written something that you just could NOT find the end to and it kept growing? I'm waiting for some morning to wake up and find all the chapters I have printed out to raise up and say "FEED me, Seymour!"

Carole
08-11-2005, 04:14 PM
P.S. The-Most-Adorable-Kids-EVER on your site! Gosh, I could just squeeze them! How I miss when my boys were small. The get a little irritated when I pinch their cheeks now.

scfirenice
08-11-2005, 06:30 PM
I usually write what my characters tell me too, and stick with Pagan stuff for the most part. I read anything though and the story changes. As far as the story never being finished, that's good, make it a series but it will take over your life. Ask my husband!
Sheryl

PattiTheWicked
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I try to write stuff that strikes me as fun, and because I view my own sprituality as fun most of the time, I incorporate that in there on occasion. I toss random pagan elements into my fiction, even if it's just something as mundane as the kooky best friend who plays with herbs. My YA fiction book, which hopefully will be out next year, is about witches but more on a practical level than a spiritual one. On the other hand, I'm playing around with a specifically pagan-themed non fiction book, which I hope to finish sometime in the next few months.

Now, when it comes to READING, I'll read darn near anything, and I do try to read three books at one time: one lightweight fiction (Nora Roberts, Katie MacAlister), one more complex fiction (Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell right now, which I'm havign a hell of a time with), and one non fiction book. The nonfiction books I read generally have to do with mythology, paganism, world history, or seafaring, oddly enough.

Sarita
08-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Oooo, Strange and Norrell... I loved that one! I was a little dissapointed at the ending, but don't worry, I won't say why....

PattiTheWicked
08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Oooo, Strange and Norrell... I loved that one! I was a little dissapointed at the ending, but don't worry, I won't say why....

I'm really having trouble getting through it. I like her style of writing, because it's very Jane Austen-y, and the idea of these two magicians working together is intriguing.

However, I can only read a few pages at a time before I just have to set it down. I've had it nearly a month and I'm only to the halfway point. I think that if she had cut out all of the stuff about Lady Pole and Stephen Black being under this enchantment, it would probably move things along a bit more smoothly. I'm trying to decide if I'll finish it or not. I suspect the library wants it back.

Carole
08-12-2005, 01:00 AM
I suspect the library wants it back.

*Looks at the red book sitting on her printer*

Ruh Roh...I think the library probably wants "the Mayor of Casterbridge" back as well. My son sure didn't want it!

PattiTheWicked
08-12-2005, 01:36 AM
*Looks at the red book sitting on her printer*

Ruh Roh...I think the library probably wants "the Mayor of Casterbridge" back as well. My son sure didn't want it!

Oooh! I *loved* the Mayor of Casterbridge! A&E did a movie version of it about three years ago and it was so well done.

But I can see how my kid would probably hate it :)

Carole
08-12-2005, 01:41 AM
He didn't hate it...he loathed it! He voluntarily signed up for advanced placement English this year, and he has several assignments over the summer before school starts, bless his heart. If he didn't think I'd whack him, he'd probably be cussing a blue streak! He did muddle through it, but he moaned enough to make me wonder if I'd ever read it.

Sarita
08-12-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm really having trouble getting through it. I like her style of writing, because it's very Jane Austen-y, and the idea of these two magicians working together is intriguing. Agreed. She seemed very much like Jane Austen, working with a different subject matter. I like the premise, but there were things I would have changed or cut.

However, I can only read a few pages at a time before I just have to set it down. I've had it nearly a month and I'm only to the halfway point. I think that if she had cut out all of the stuff about Lady Pole and Stephen Black being under this enchantment, it would probably move things along a bit more smoothly. I'm trying to decide if I'll finish it or not. I suspect the library wants it back. It was a slow read for myself as well. It took a month for me to read it, and I'm normally reading something new every week. The whole Lady Pole thing didn't do it for me. You were supposed to have these sympathetic feelings toward her, but I didn't care enough about her to get into her story line. Stephen Black intrigued me and I loved the way his story played out through the end. The way the man with the thistle down hair treated him really got me thinking. Thistledown was upset that Black was a servant, but he seemed to treat him like more of a servant than the Pole's did. I would have liked more of his story and less of Lady Pole.

You should finish it. Check it out again or I'll send you mine :)

inexperiencedinker
08-21-2005, 08:56 PM
As far as the original question goes, I don't write anything even remotely related to Pagan literature. That being said i recently had a great idea for a new short story that was fantasy/magic related, but not really pagan. More of a fairy tale.

PattiTheWicked
08-22-2005, 01:49 AM
I **FINALLY** finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I did enjoy the Stephen Black story line, once it progressed a bit, but I was disappointed with the ending too.
Honestly, it's a great idea and well written, but I think she could have cut about 250 pages out of the book and not damaged it a bit.

Now I'm trying to figure out who I'd like to see as Strange and Norrell in a movie.