Favorite show on the big stage?

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Growing up in Manhattan most of my life, I've been exposed to some great theater. Both on Broadway and off Broadway. But stage performances can be just as great in any part of the world. Just wondering what some of your favorites are.

Mine:

The Producers (all time fav)
Annie (one of my favorite childhood memories)
Riverdance
Mary Poppins
Death of a Salesman

Gosh there really are so many but there are also so many I haven't yet seen.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Little Shop Of Horrors with Ellen Greene and loved it...it's been so long since I saw any really good musicals.

It's such a shame Chicago in London is a celeb-casting nightmare now, as it's a brilliant show.

Used to love the revival of Jesus Christ Superstar around 10 years ago - I think I saw it 5 times.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Cyrano de Bergerac
JCS--also saw it 3-4 times over the years, once with Carl Anderson (awesome) and once with Ted Neely (afterwards my friends and I discovered we had the same reaction from the Trial onward: "Don't hurt the old guy!")
Phantom (saw it in Toronto with Colm Wilkinson)
Les Mis (ditto)

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to Broadway (yet!) but I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fan of musicals (and to a lesser extent, plays). My favorites that I've seen (so I'm not counting recordings that I've love but haven't seen the show of) are:

Peter Pan (pretty sure Peter is the role I was born to play. Someday...)
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Spamalot
Noises Off
Hello, Dolly!
Hairspray
See How They Run

Kilawher

Chronic Semicolon Overuser
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like such a little fangirl, but I have to say Wicked. The music is amazing, and I found the story more complex and interesting than any of the other musicals I've seen.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Best big stage show? Oh...wow...that's cruel...

Um...let me think.

Patrick Stewart in A Mindsummer Night's Dream was awesome. I saw the original cast of Love! Valour! Compassion! and that was incredible, as was a revival of The Heiress.

I'm not really all the big on musicals, but Into the Woods and The Phantom of the Opera were my all-time on Broadway faves. Miss Saigon, Cats, and Evita were enough to make me want to commit seppuku, but none of them hurt as badly as Oklahoma or *grits teeth* The Ever-Hateful, Ever-Loving Sound of Mother-Farking Music.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Angels in America and Perestroika were my favorite plays. The Mouse Trap was pretty good too. A chorus Line was my favorite musical. Phantom with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman was great

ETA: I forgot Cabaret, damn good before they tinkered with it too much

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've been regular theatre-goers for 25 years or so. It's hard to remember them all, but these stand out:

Proof, before anybody'd heard of it or it had won any awards--cheap tickets bought last minute
King Lear, regional theatre with a cast of unknowns, absolutely amazing
Cabaret, the only musical I can stand because nobody just starts freakin' singing in a context where that would be weird
Having Our Say: The Delaney Sisters' First 100 Years, deeply moving
The Piano--well, almost all of Wilson's cycle, really
Our Town, still timely and moving

Maryn, theatre lover

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, forgot about Peter Pan. I actually saw that as a kid when Sandy Duncan was starring in it.

If you ever want to see a fascinating behind the scenes movie of Annie on Broadway, you must check out Life After Tomorrow. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484211/

It's extremely heart breaking to see what life was really like for these kids both during and after their Annie career. A real eye opener. Pretty sick/sad stuff.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot Cats. I loved Cats. The musical, not those hairy little buggers

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Phantom of the Opera is my favorite.

Les Miserables was good as well and I enjoyed The Lion King - I thought how they made the actors into the animals without making them into actual animals was cool.

I heart Broadway - I just wish I got to go more often... :(

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Les Miserables was good as well and I enjoyed The Lion King - I thought how they made the actors into the animals without making them into actual animals was cool.

I'm going to see The Lion King when it comes here in August. I'm super stoked! It'll be my first time seeing a professionally done Disney musical. (Saw Beauty and the Beast done by a community theater group. It was...sad.)

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been to Broadway itself, but I've seen many traveling companies over the years.

My favorites have been Les Mis, The Lion King and Wicked--though I really hated the movie version of TLK, I admit. The stage performance was awesome. And Wicked was so much better than the original book--and made tons more sense. The best I've seen has to be Les Mis though.

I didn't get to see Phantom until after the movie came out, and I have to say that I was highly disappointed. I swear, there were only 7 cast members, the staging was minimal and--I hate to say this--the "cheorography" we did at my high school productions was FAR superior to what I saw on that stage. I felt totally ripped off for my main floor center seats.

Unfortunately, the non-musical shows don't travel so I don't get to see them.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
For us, Broadway is a pilgrimage that we take very, very seriously.

I don't really have a list of favourite musicals, but if I did it would include:
RENT
Wicked
Nine
Chicago (before it turned into tourist hell)
Cabaret
and our most recent obsession, Next To Normal.

As far as straight plays go, I still can't get over the staging of Long Day's Journey into Night that I saw a few years ago, with Brian Dennehy, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robert Sean Leonard and Vanessa Redgrave: wow. Just... wow.

And then there was Lincoln Center's Twelfth Night from the late 90's...