Writing video games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

country boy

Registered
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be a part of creating a video game. I hear that there are program softwares out there to help create video games from start to finish. Anyone have an idea what the best one is? And where to buy?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Country Boy.

Video game technology isn't my thing, but there is a tech help section here on AW, and it does have a thread for "other tech talk"...here's a link: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=182

Maybe that would be the place to ask? I'm not sure...but either way, I hope you enjoy your stay here. Do you write anything other than video games?

country boy

Registered
Reaction score
I've got some ideas rolling around. I'm really big on sci fi and fantasy. I've got one story I'm working on now consisting of vampires, werewolves, and more. How about you?

Gugland

Sufficiently downsized
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Country Boy,

I'm new here as well. I've found if you post in the right forum, you'll get lots of helpful advice.

As for video games, I too hope to be part of at least scripting one someday. I often use open-roam games to gather story ideas. The random events that occur while just driving thru, say, Vice City will often give me an idea for a plot twist in an unrelated story I'm writing.

I also tried modding a bit. I'm not very technically adept, but I found that "Mafia" is very easy to mod. Changing a texture is as simple as dropping a new bitmap into a folder, and changing voices/sounds is as simple as renaming wav files. There are also lots of tools to make scripting relatively simple. If interested, try looking around here: http://http://mafiascene.com/ The folks there are very nice (for a game related forum).

country boy

Registered
Reaction score
Video game software

I'm looking for software programs to help create video games. I'm mostly looking to do individual characters but also environments. Any ideas?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
What sort of game do you want to build? FPS? RPG? Maze, open world, or scroll? For how many players? Using PC, Mac, or ?

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
There are several big, thick books about how to create video games. I believe some of them come with toolkits for doing your own maps and character animations.

Another good place to start might be using a level editor (they're available for lots of games, Left 4 Dead, for instance) to build your own maps.

You might also try modding a game, or joining a team of programmers who are doing a mod. Google "Half Life 2 mods" and you can get a bazillion examples.

Good luck!

country boy

Registered
Reaction score
To CaoPaux: I've got a RPG in mind, definitely open world, with possible multiplayers(up to like 3). I've got a PC.

country boy

Registered
Reaction score
To shawkins: I know of one or two books on this, but I'm looking for one that goes from start to finish. I wanna create the characters, environments, and storyline all together on one program. Do you know of one?

gambit924

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you're looking for more information about making games/putting a team together, you might want to check out the forums at gamedev.net or garagegames.com . They have people there who probably have more information than us of the writing variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.