• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Reader Needed for YA Fantasy Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
I've written a YA Fantasy novel that I need beta readers for. I've had people read it, but not every one of them managed to finish it...though their feedback was invaluable!

The story is 81k words long and I'm almost certain it's ready to publish. I'm not looking to overhaul the book, I just need a couple of eyes to look it over and tell me if there are any scenes or ideas that could use critiquing. Possibly areas where I may cut some words from the book. If you're interested, PM me. Someone willing to get this done in a month or two would be great, but I understand that life can be quirky and busy :D

Thanks.

E. S. Lark

Editing all the time
Registered
Reaction score
It may help if you share a little about the story itself. Who is the MC? Is it in a fantasy world, in our world, wizards, dragons? What's in it? Is there romance? What conflicts does the MC face?
I've written a YA Fantasy novel that I need beta readers for. I've had people read it, but not every one of them managed to finish it...though their feedback was invaluable!

The story is 81k words long and I'm almost certain it's ready to publish. I'm not looking to overhaul the book, I just need a couple of eyes to look it over and tell me if there are any scenes or ideas that could use critiquing. Possibly areas where I may cut some words from the book. If you're interested, PM me. Someone willing to get this done in a month or two would be great, but I understand that life can be quirky and busy :D

Thanks.

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
It may help if you share a little about the story itself. Who is the MC? Is it in a fantasy world, in our world, wizards, dragons? What's in it? Is there romance? What conflicts does the MC face?
Oh yeah...duh...sorry, I'm a little new at this :D

Here's the blurb from my query letters.

After creating a lightning storm that killed a boy from his school, thirteen year old Nicholas Benson enrolls in the Magi Academy to learn how to get his explosive, magical outbursts under control. Nicholas is surprised to learn that Joselyn Jameson, the Queen’s daughter is also a student at the academy. He’s even more shocked to find out that she’s in all of his classes. Soon after the pair become friends, Nicholas has another magical fit that nearly burns the two of them alive before causing him to pass out.

While unconscious, he sees a vision of a small group of anti-royalist rebels intent on assassinating Joselyn’s mother so that the Prime Minister, won’t have to share his power with the Queen. Despite a plague of similar visions throughout the year, Nicholas ignores them until he accidentally overhears a conversation between Joselyn’s uncle and the Queen’s bodyguard who also plan on killing the Queen in order to prevent the election altogether.

When Joselyn refuses to believe that her uncle could commit treason, Nicholas sets out to prove her wrong simply to save her life and the life of her mother. He succeeds only to discover that the Queen’s bodyguard lured him to the palace to use Nicholas’s dangerous powers as the weapon that will plunge the nation into civil war. In a fight to save himself and the people he cares for, Nicholas must finally master his powers or sacrifice his life for the good of the country.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 92,000-word YA fantasy novel that I need critiqued also. We could swap, if you want. I definitely could get the critique done in two months, possibly sooner. PM me is you're interested.

Last edited:

Iwantalibrary

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to read it for you and give you any thoughts I have of it. It sounds like an interesting book. Any idea of how many pages that would be? I'm just trying to figure out how long it would take me to read it. Since it takes me about a week usually to finish a 800 page book, I'm assuming the dead line wouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.