Navy Laundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gypsy_Agent

I tried to find these answers on the Internet but they aren't readily available. They're some weird questions, but I need the answers for a novel in progress.

How is laundry handled on a carrier?
Is it every man/woman for him/herself?
Does someone come around and pick it up, have it laundered and bring it back?
Do officers drop it off and then go pick it up?
On ship, how do dress uniforms get laundered?
If everyone does their own, is the room called a laundramat, or is it called something different?

Thank you all.
Net

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My ex husband was in the Navy for years and is still in the reserves. I do know a little about it so I hope this helps.

There are guys who come around to the berthing (where they sleep) to pick up the laundry from the crew, but they can also drop off their own to be done on board. If it is their personal laundry like civilian clothing, they do it in town at a laundromat or on base when they are in port because they don't wear civvies on the ships usually. Dress uniforms are picked up and done on board ship as well. As for ironing their work blues or khakis (everyday uniforms) they do that in the berthing.

~~Carole :) (who never thought anything from THAT marriage would be of help to anyone! )

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
p.s. this may have changed somewhat, but that was how it was done when I was married to him

NancyP

Registered
Reaction score
More info: The ship makes its own water, so it has some, well, by-products in it, that cause white laundry to turn a light yellow-grey color over a six-month deployment. Wise sailors never buy new underwear before a cruise. It goes through the "greyer" (washer) and "wrinkler" (dryer) and comes out, well, grey. Sort of.

My husband generally tries to do his own laundry so it won't get lost. He is an officer and generally a larger ship will have a washer and dryer for officers to use. Same water. The sailors do label all their clothes, but things like socks still get lost. My husband's socks are hard to come by (large feet!), so this can be a crisis on cruise.

The place the laundry is done is called the ship's laundry. (Profound, isn't it!?)

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.