Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yes. He's had a golden opportunity his victims did not get--the chance to be with his family, receiving the best care on someone else's dime.

Hell, I'd be feeling better too were I in his position. Especially with a uniformed guard at the gate of my protected villa while my guests are swilling expensive champagne until the tent set up in the courtyard for my frequent entertainments. We all know that laughter increases a person's chacne for recovery and this cretin has probably been laughing a hell of a lot over the past few months.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno. Hate sells newspapers just fine. I can't help but feel that the news article is mining a vein; rubbing the victims' noses in grief and suffering for the sake of getting joe public into a froth.

When I first heard of Megrahi's release, it felt like the right thing to do. It still does. Megrahi is still in prison -- to his own disease. The Scottish system normally sends patients home if they have a three month terminal diagnosis, and that's what happened here. I think it's a very compassionate and sensible system. It's especially kind to the convict's family, who aren't convicted of anything.

What doesn't feel right to me is the ghoul of public opinion measuring how much suffering Megrahi must be experiencing and arguing for ways to beef it. The UN definition of torture includes public officials inflicting severe mental suffering on an individual as punishment, and really I think that's the underlying intention in the way the Tele presented its report: 'More suffering needed!'

Grieving families often want vengeance, but their anger is not a measure of modern justice. In Papua New Guinea though, it is and the 'pay back' system is so strong there that drivers don't dare stop the car if they hit a pedestrian. I don't think most of us want to live like that. I don't think we should encourage newspapers that try and encourage that vision of justice.

There's a lot that could be said about Libya's behaviour in this, but I don't think that any of it has bearing on case itself. It does however, have bearing on the proper conduct of international relations, and that's a whole nother story.

Slushie

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
Misleading title, rob. I figured this was spam for a maid service, or something.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
Doctor gives a man three months to live, three months go by, man can't pay his bill, doctor gives him another three months...

Weird.

So, a doctor, a lawyer, and a judge are old college buddies, and they meet once a year for lunch, to catch up on old times. But today, only the doctor and the lawyer are there.

Lawyer: So where's the judge?
Doctor: Well, he came to me a few months ago, because he was feeling ill. Turns out he had cancer, and only had 3 months to live.
Lawyer: Oh, that's too bad, so he died?
Doctor: No, funny thing is, he went into remission. Completely spontaneous.
Lawyer: Wow. So is he out celebrating?
Doctor: No, he's pissed at me.
Lawyer: Why?
Doctor: Well, with only 3 months to live, he ran around spending all sorts of money, running up huge debts. Now he can't pay them, and he blames me for it.
Lawyer: Excuse me, I have to go make a phone call.