PDA

View Full Version : Underage DUI in Arizona

Jordygirl
02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Bear with me, please, as I don't know much about what I'm talking about. One of the characters in my novel is underage (17) and got caught driving with alcohol in his system (he ran a stop sign & was pulled over). My questions are:

1. How long does it take to be convicted of a DUI in Arizona? Would it be right away, would there be a few days in between him being pulled over and being convicted? Would he need to go to court?
2. What would the probable punishment be. I think it's a fine and license suspension, but I can't figure out how long he'd lose his license for (or what the fine would be). Would he end up spending any time in jail?

THANK YOU to anyone who can help.

suki
02-23-2010, 12:55 AM
Bear with me, please, as I don't know much about what I'm talking about. One of the characters in my novel is underage (17) and got caught driving with alcohol in his system (he ran a stop sign & was pulled over). My questions are:

1. How long does it take to be convicted of a DUI in Arizona? Would it be right away, would there be a few days in between him being pulled over and being convicted? Would he need to go to court?
2. What would the probable punishment be. I think it's a fine and license suspension, but I can't figure out how long he'd lose his license for (or what the fine would be). Would he end up spending any time in jail?

THANK YOU to anyone who can help.

There is a lot of information online about penalties and procedures. Here's the link I found after a quick search:

http://www.duiaz.com/PracticeAreas/Under-21-Alcohol-Violations.asp

This will lay out the penalties.

As for timing... crimnal matters take months, not days. I'm unsure of whether the teen would be arrested or just detained until a parent could pick them up. But then they would be charged and there would be an initial hearing and the matter goes from there. Could be a plea, and that would resolve it rather quickly, but still months, not days. if they go to trial, or have any preliminary procedural hearings, could be even longer - 6 months to a year.

dealing with criminal charges and consequences will take some significant research to do accurately. Consider finding some online court cases to read, to see what happened in some cases.

But the above link should get you started, and then maybe you will get lucky and someone with specific experience will be able to come in and help.

~suki

Jordygirl
02-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Thank you. I found something similar to that when I searched but it was much more confusing... your link is explained much better.

Tsu Dho Nimh
02-24-2010, 01:03 AM

Typically the DUI takes a couple of months for a court date, unless kid pleads guilty. Parents have to come post bond or at least take possession of the kid from the cops so you have opportunity for parental angst :) . It would be a municipal court.

On a first offense, conviction may carry:

license suspension for up to 2 years (eligible for work permit at court's discretion)

a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal record
a minimum of 1 day in jail (9 days suspended sentence if submitting to alcohol treatment evaluation and/or treatment)
fines and court costs of around $1,700
probation, education classes, community service and other penalties at the discretion of the court (much depends on the kid's attitude in court and scholastic record)

They tend to come down hard on the first offenders all over the state.