I just joined the HD/Bluray age

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
I had some extra money recently and decided to upgrade my TV. I'd resisted for years, since I couldn't stand to spend that much cash for a TV, but I fell under the evil sway of 1080p.

I went with a 55" LCD TV, Bluray player, and a home theater system.

Wow. Just Wow.

My wife and I have been watching movies like crazy and we've been blown away. Sue (my wife and love muffin) has never been a big "let's watch a movie tonight" person, but she is now. I upgraded the Netflix membership to include Bluray ($4/month extra) and it's been worth every penny.

This makes it easier to not go to the theater and wait for DVD to come out.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me too! Bought the flatscreen this weekend, already had a PS3, then I picked up a couple of flicks on blu-ray and watched last night. It's incredible. It's almost too clear at first. It's damn near distracting, but amazing. I'm still a guy who loves the theater experience, but this does make it easier to say no to certain movies that don't really warrant the "theater experience."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
It's amazing the difference, isn't it? We have so many HD channels and BlueRay movies that if we watch non-HD/BlueRay...the images just seem blurry. Glad you're enjoying it!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It's funny I still have a SD TV and VCR in a room and I recently looked at something on it... it's just amazing how bad the quality is and people are still watching that quality because they don't know any better (or can't afford it).

I've been all HD for a year now. Love it.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
We were the only people I knew who bought an HDTV way back in 2002. It was time for a new TV, and my wife wanted to see what Sears had, since they were having a big sale and "one year same as cash" weekend, so we went and bought a Panasonic 34" HDTV tube set. Thing weighs a thousand pounds, but has a beautiful picture. Still works great after eight years. We had to later buy a separate HD receiver because the TV didn't have one inside. I think it's standard now.

Only a couple of TV channels had HD at the time. Half of our favorite shows were in HD at that time.

We bought a blu-ray player in November, 2008. Movies are almost like three-dimensional. 2001 A Space Odyssey on blu-ray looks like the movie was made yesterday.

Amazing stuff.

I wonder what's next, that's going to make blu-ray obsolete.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I still have yet to see a movie on Blu-Ray but I saw a HD TV on the mall and creeped the beejesus out of me, seriously. I will kept my TV and my DVD for the moment, thank you very much.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I still have yet to see a movie on Blu-Ray but I saw a HD TV on the mall and creeped the beejesus out of me, seriously. I will kept my TV and my DVD for the moment, thank you very much.

I honestly understand. It almost has an "uncanny valley" effect to it. It feels almost like you're watching live people from the other side of a window, but not quite that real, and the gap in reality gives it an odd little otherworldliness that standard definition doesn't have.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Our city hosts a huge fireworks display every year that's been shown on TV for decades.
We've always watched it on TV and liked it.

The first or second year we had our HD set they showed it in true Hi Def.

It was amazing. It was really like watching it out a window, the picture was so sharp.

For some reason, they haven't been showing it in HD since then. No idea why.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
We broke down at Christmas and bought an Aquos Blu ray player--no HD tv yet but I can tell a HUGE difference...LOVE it!!!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We broke down at Christmas and bought an Aquos Blu ray player--no HD tv yet but I can tell a HUGE difference...LOVE it!!!

You've got to watch Blu-Ray on an HDTV -- the bigger the screen the better. Otherwise, you're wasting the 1080p on a 480 (not to mention without the HDMI output you're only seeing DVD quality).

Last edited: